Extension of Smoking Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension of Smoking Ban

Just a reminder to all smokers that with effect from 01st Oct 05, smoking will be banned in the following places:

- Public toilets which covers the toilets in any eating establishments.
    - Public swimming complex
    - Community Centre / Clubs
    - Bus Interchange / Shelters

News states that fines are imposed on individuals. So for those who are unsure about this new ban, please take note!

After i've learnt about this, i told my SO immediately in order to prevent him from being fined $200. I got no worries since i'm not a smoker

Smokers / non smokers any comments on this issue?

non-smoker here. (:

No offence to any smokers here but I feel that this should have been done a LOOOOONG time ago.
    It's really irritating when people smoke in public toilets which have little ventilation.
    It's almost just as bad in bus interchanges and shelters.
    I've friends who are smokers, but they are pretty considerate. They step away from non-smokers when they need a puff and tell us to walk ahead of them while they walk alone so that they wouldn't be letting us sniff their 2nd hand smoke. I do nag at them constantly to quit and most of them have decided to reduce their intake per day and 2 have quit since last december. It makes me really proud of them.

I've had millions of horrid experiences with smokers. For example, they hog the pathway by walking really slowly and puff away, so the smoke blows right into my face. How inconciderate can they get? They throw butts on the floor and most of the time refuse to step the fire out of it.

I'm not generalising.. but just majority of smokers I've seen.
    My dad used to be a heavy smoker. He stopped, for us, the family.

So if there are any smokers here, I know you'd be sick and tired of hearing this but..
    Think about the people around you. What do you even gain from smoking?
    Yes, I'm not a smoker, I might not understand.. Most say it's to relief stress.
    Why resort to this method?

Don't flame me l.ah.. I just want everyone to be healthy. You save yourself and don't put others' healths at risk.

Cheers and take care. (:

Comment

I still see people smoking at bus stops/shelters. But still.. nobody catch them... boo! Who will be there 24/7 to check.. hai~ Just hope they're more considerate...

Comment

Heehee, my family is strongly anti-smoking, but it's more a double standard. We don't mind friends who are smokers and smoke when we are together, but personally, we will not think of picking up this habit and complain copiously when strangers smoke around us. We find it very annoying but if our friends do smoke, we also got to "respect" their habit. Very conflicting.

My parents are the reason my siblings and I grew up against the smoking habit (note: not smokers per se). Both my granddads are chain smokers though. I find that most children who grow up with smoking parents(s) tend to either pick it up themselves rather young or become very adverse to it.

Comment

Does it mean that the people cant smoke at hawker centres and kopitiams??

Comment

Originally posted by Lil_Piggie
            Does it mean that the people cant smoke at hawker centres and kopitiams??
            My company receive the letter from NEA, but they only request our management to put the "No smoking" notice inside the toilets. So i can only conclude they can still smoke in hawker / food centres presently. But i think by end of next year, the ban will extend to food centres etc.

Comment

Thanks for the information!
              I think one of the first few places that they should ban smoking is the Hawker centres itself...
              Hawkers should be smoking anyway.
              And it gets really irritating when someone comes to share a table and starts smoking at the table while i am slurping down on my food and all...

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong as I thought I read/saw in the news that there'll be designated smoking zones in food centres and hawker centres.

I was never hooked on ciggies. If I ever find a reason to light up again, it'd usually be in bars or pubs or in my own house. It's so different between smoking that stuff and inhaling it as a passive smoker. I simple abhor the smell. I too have had countless unpleasant experience with inconsiderate smokers. One guy smoked in a tour bus and actually pretended he didn't hear the guide's request for him to snuff it out. At least twice, I went into lifts with some guy smoking inside. Worst, one might even enter the lift with you holding a lighted ciggie. What's with these people?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn-Ster
                  I still see people smoking at bus stops/shelters. But still.. nobody catch them... boo! Who will be there 24/7 to check.. hai~ Just hope they're more considerate...
                  It's a matter of luck I guess. When the rule was just introduced, 6 people already gotten caught smoking in bus interchanges right? News will spread...

I believe with some time & vigiliance from the responsible authority, the law can be effectively implemented. Singaporeans fear being fined the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Glossie
                    Correct me if I'm wrong as I thought I read/saw in the news that there'll be designated smoking zones in food centres and hawker centres.
                    I thought i read that before. But i was just wondering whose responsiblity to designate the smoking area? Which party to bear the costs, the operators of the food centre or NEA(govt) ? So i assume not all food centres will designate a smoking area for smokers, but let's see who is the one who start the ball rolling.
                    Last edited by Glossie; 20-10-2005, 02:16 PM.

Comment

i think the worse is that people smoked in the lift. i always experience the after-effect when people smoked in the lift, and i really hate it. can someone suggest what can i do? after the gov implemented ban at public places, i noticed more people smoke in lift now, esp my block. is there some checking system in lift to catch these people? i will step out of the lift if i detect cigarette smell once i step in. but, in morning i have no choice as i mrushing for work. help....

Comment

i'm an anti-smoking person..

i think they should just ban smoking altogether in Singapore!!

but of course, i pity those smokers..
                        hope they faster quit smoking..
                        or they will really suffer..

Comment

but the ban is going to extend to pubs next year if im not wrong.

im not a smoker, but frankly speaking 8 out of 10 people visiting ktv pubs smoke. if the issue is abt minority not affecting the health of majority in the public, fine, ban smoking in public places. but if u're talking abt ktv pubs, that's really getting ridiculous. if u dont like smoke, do not enter ktv pubs then!

Comment

Prohibition on smoking in food shops

Updated with NEA letter which i receive today:

The ban on smoking will be extended to all food shops with effect from 1st July 2006. unless there is a smoking corner designated by the food shop operators.

Comment

i know i am evil...

But it's so long before the ban takes effect!!!!!!!!

Anyway there are still alot people smoking in bus stops.... What ban is there anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X