ASUS Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Laptop

Just wanna find out if anyone out here used ASUS laptop before??
    what are your feedback on this brand of laptop?is it any good?

yeah! i bought an Asus M5 lappy a few mths back.. n i'm still loving it! I LOVE MY WHITE ASUS M5 LAPPYYYYY..!!!

in fact, i often get many stares (kinda annoying actually..) whenever i'm surfing net with my lappy outside.. n ppl would approach me to ask the brand.. model.. specs.. this n that..

my pc specs:
    Inte? Pentium? M Processor 1.4 0 or above / Intel? 855GME chipset / Intel? PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
    Microsoft? Windows? XP Professional/Home Edition
    12.1" TFT LCD
    DDR 333 DRAM support
    Hard drive supporting 40GB
    DVD-ROM/DVD-WRITER (can view and write DVD)
    3-cell Battery Pack (up to 3 hrs battery life)
    3 x USB 2.0, 1 x IEEE 1394, card reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
    1.55kg (with 3-cell battery pack)

it really depends on what's ur requirements.. for me, i dun need very good specs.. my requirements were:

- small, lightweight
    - WHITE color!!
    - built-in wireless lan
    - can play sims 2 (haha, was crazy over r game sometime back)
    - built-in dvd-rom
    - cd writer (n i got more than i bargained for.. dvd writer!)

the M5 lappy doesnt have the best specs.. but at the price of @$2499, i think it's very worthwhile. got a cool logitech mouse and a nice asus lappy bag.. (but i didnt use.. cos it fits nicely into my backpack.. which is smaller than the lappy bag)

there's other asus lappies with better specs.. can use for more intensive gaming.. but they weight ard 2kg.. so i didnt consider them..

though the brand ASUS isnt as well-known as IBM n etc in singapore.. i heard it's 1 of the top brands in korea, taiwan.. etc. i suggest u go to hardwarezone forum.. in fact there's threads dedicated to asus users.. so u can read their reviews about the asus lappies they bought.

hope this helps!
    Last edited by simplepris; 12-10-2005, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Reviews > Computers
      Tuesday, November 30, 2004
      Asus turns up the style

ASUS M5
      By KELLY GOH

THE Asus M5 is an interesting proposition if you?re looking for an ultra-portable notebook that delivers a solid balance of portability and performance.

Despite its diminutive dimensions, the notebook contains components such as a built-in combo optical drive that is usually left out of notebooks in this category.

Asus has still managed to keep the weight of the M5 down to a mere 1.55kg, which makes it very easy on the shoulders when carried about.

In terms of design, the M5 comes in an eye-catching pearl white and silver design that gives it an Apple PowerBook-esque cachet. The immaculate white finish extends from the lid to the interior of the system including the keyboard and trackpad.

Although this makes the M5 susceptible to dirt and grime, you can easily wipe the gunk off with a slightly damp cloth, I found out.

But if white really isn?t your colour, you can opt for the M5 with the black colour scheme.

Engine room

The notebook is powered by the Intel Centrino mobile platform and houses a Banias-version Pentium M 1.6GHz processor and 256MB of memory, which makes it more than capable of running regular office tasks.

It also comes with 60GB hard disk as well as a Firewire connection, which makes the M5 a pretty decent machine to indulge in a spot of photo- or video-editing.

To gauge how well the notebook performed, we ran the PCMark04 benchmarking software and the machine scored a decent 2,573 points overall.

Compare this with the Fujitsu LifeBook S7010's (Intel Pentium 1.5GHz processor and 256MB RAM) score of 2,450 points in the same test and you'll see that the Asus performs as you would expect from its specifications list. No surprises here, good or otherwise.

Complementing the horsepower is a regular set of connectivity options that keep you covered in both wired or wireless environments.

By default, you get an integrated modem and Ethernet local area network (LAN) interface plus WiFi connectivity that comes standard in all Centrino notebooks.

As far as I/O ports are concerned, there are three USB 2.0 ports and a 3-in-1 memory card reader to go along with the regular PC Card Type II slot, and monitor-out, as well as headphone and microphone jacks.

Graphics are provided courtesy of the Intel 855 integrated graphics chipset, which means it?s best to stick to 2D or non-graphics-intensive games on this machine.

Other goodies

After using notebooks with widescreen displays for the better part of the past six months, I was a bit apprehensive about reviewing the Asus, which comes with an XGA (1,024 x 768pixels) resolution screen.

I?m glad to report that the 12in display on the Asus is one of the best looking ones I?ve seen on an ultra-portable notebook.

Colours were consistently vivid and bright, and images appeared crisp whether I was watching DVD movies or viewing pictures taken with a digital camera.

Sound emits from the bottom-mounted speakers, which were surprisingly loud enough for me to enjoy watching DVD movies.

Small and cramped keys are usually the main points of contention with ultra-portable notebooks but I found no such problem with the keyboard on the M5. It was big enough for me and had just the correct amount of tactile feedback.

The only major knock on the Asus is the rather poor battery life. The standard three-cell battery lasts less than two hours in the real world and even less than that when the optical drive is in use.

You do get an extended battery that gives up to four hours of use but it adds weight and hangs off the back.

Overall Asus has done a good job with the M5 because it sports almost all the features one might need in an ultra-portable notebook, including a built-in combo CD-RW/DVD drive.

It also sets itself apart with its Zen-like design and mighty pretty pearl white finish.

The only disappointment is the poor battery life but if you are not going to use the notebook for long stretches or if you don?t mind the extra weight of the extended battery, the M5 is well worth your consideration.

Pros: Nice design; compact size; lightweight; good features and performance; built-in optical drive.
      Cons: Poor battery life.

Source: http://star-techcentral.com/reviews/...&cat=2&rid=828

Comment

here's how the white M5 lappy looks like..

by the way.. there's M5A, M5N, M5A.. the specs n prices are slightly different.. so be sure to check properly if u decides to buy a M5 lappy.. think i bought the M5N. (the specs are the best among the 3..)
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow so slim and nice! Where do we see the real display? Sim Lim?

Comment

ya, sim lim sq has.. i bought mine there.. hmm.. funan IT mall also has.. but i think places like best denki outlets dun have..

Comment

simplepris! i'm using the same ASUS M5 laptop! but it doesn't belong to me. haha it's my boss.. so i use it when i'm at work. it's really pretty and the functions aren't too bad. i mean if you're looking for a normal laptop, i think this will be fine Other than that, it kinda looks like the Apple iBook. it just has this very "clean" look to it.

Comment

My brother has an ASUS laptop. Not sure which model is it. When he was choosing his laptop, his intention was to get a lightweight laptop. The laptop he bought has good specifications, reasonably priced and is lightweight (for a guy).

My laptop is lighter. It's 1.09kg, including the baby battery.

If you're looking for a good bargain, ASUS is a good option. They have authorised dealers at Funan IT mall. You can still upgrade your laptop if you wish to. However if you are upgrading ASUS laptop, you need to buy their parts because the normal parts are not compatible. Needless to say, the prices differs too. ASUS parts are more expensive because they only cater to ASUS users.

hths!

Comment

Originally posted by crumbsthecat
                  simplepris! i'm using the same ASUS M5 laptop! but it doesn't belong to me. haha it's my boss.. so i use it when i'm at work. it's really pretty and the functions aren't too bad. i mean if you're looking for a normal laptop, i think this will be fine Other than that, it kinda looks like the Apple iBook. it just has this very "clean" look to it.
                  haha! oh yeah! wow, ur boss so good!

yeah.. at first i was thinking if i should get the apple laptop.. but it dont use windows.. then i dont like the big apple logo on the cover..

thank god there's asus m5!! i love 'clean' look too! n the asus logo is not very obvious..

Comment

Originally posted by tabbie
                    My brother has an ASUS laptop. Not sure which model is it. When he was choosing his laptop, his intention was to get a lightweight laptop. The laptop he bought has good specifications, reasonably priced and is lightweight (for a guy).

My laptop is lighter. It's 1.09kg, including the baby battery.

If you're looking for a good bargain, ASUS is a good option. They have authorised dealers at Funan IT mall. You can still upgrade your laptop if you wish to. However if you are upgrading ASUS laptop, you need to buy their parts because the normal parts are not compatible. Needless to say, the prices differs too. ASUS parts are more expensive because they only cater to ASUS users.

hths!
                    1.09kg! that's very light! which laptop are you using?

Comment

Toshiba Portege R100. Can't find good pictures of this baby. Here's one:

Comment

toshiba is another nice brand to consider.. so how much did you pay for this pretty n slim baby?

Comment

I paid $3700/- for it. Comes with 3 years international warranty. It's the same one you see on the news too

Comment

-deleted-
                            Last edited by namida; 19-10-2005, 09:56 PM.

Comment

i bought my first ASUS M5200AE (1.55kg) today.... so happy. I think i got a really good deal($2400) as the sales told me its the latest model
                              its a white in colour,
                              12 inch LCD
                              memory 512MB
                              Intel Pentium M Processor 740
                              60GB 5400rpm HDD
                              DVD wirter
                              etc.......
                              after so much consideration between fujitsu, toshiba and ibook i decided to get this.
                              They are famous in motherboard right, they even build for Apple and Sony.

Comment

Working...
                              X