Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Platonic friendships- do you believe in them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platonic friendships- do you believe in them?

I think girls have no problems being platonic friends with guys. But not so the other way round. So far, except for my dearest gay buddies, the guys tend to turn weird after a while. Do you girls have the same experience?

I don't think that my male buddy is gay and we are good pals for 10 years already. And he 'changed' gfs twice in the decade as well

Comment

i have lots of platonic guy friends. but i also think it is necessary to steer the relationship in healthy way once you sense something strange. usually in such cases, subtle hints will revert everything to normal cos guys in platonic friendship will not want to run the risk of losing the friendship too if they value it.

Comment

yes my bestie gay mate turned weird on me
        i guess the emotional bond is too strong hence the weirdness

however nothing changed, we are the best mates and we have this understanding that it would never go that far

Comment

Originally posted by natnatviv
          yes my bestie gay mate turned weird on me
          i guess the emotional bond is too strong hence the weirdness

however nothing changed, we are the best mates and we have this understanding that it would never go that far
          Huh, how can this be possible?

Gay guys don't have any romantic interest in us right? I go shopping and clubbing with mine. We even check out cute guys together. One of them tells me I have bad taste in men

Comment

Originally posted by hiphop
            i have lots of platonic guy friends. but i also think it is necessary to steer the relationship in healthy way once you sense something strange. usually in such cases, subtle hints will revert everything to normal cos guys in platonic friendship will not want to run the risk of losing the friendship too if they value it.
            Interesting. What is the best way to give out hints without hurting the friendship? This is a skill I've never picked up. I usually just avoid the guys, end of story.

Comment

my 2 best friends are guys. thoughtful, not petty like my other girlfriends, gives in to me & is so fun and all loving! we go on trips, slept on the same bed, link arms. 12 years down the road and we are still the same. purely platonic, simply great buddies.

Comment

I do have guy friends too and I dont mind sleeping on his bed as well. I believe there is still platonic relationship between a guy and a girl. I prefer guys to girls sometimes because they are less petty and humourous, less fussy and fun. :p

Comment

It's possible, but rare I guess. Most guys who want to get to know me probably do want to take it a step further. However, I steer my friendships with an iron hand, and most of the time, I feel nothing for them. If they can't be conversationalists, then I'm sorry, they have to go. My bestie guy friend did have a thing for me, but I told him directly I wasn't interested. He took a while to get over me, but we're still good friends. As for sleeping on guys' beds, don't really have an opinion on it. I'm really put off by most of their hygiene to actually want to go anywhere near their belongings.

Gay guys may not have a romantic interest in women, but some guys are actually bisexual. Or it becomes more of a competition because they're kinda like chicks. Hard to explain. Gay guys are huge fun if they don't get too bitchy. I know one who's a great cook he puts me to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by maven
                    Huh, how can this be possible?

Gay guys don't have any romantic interest in us right? I go shopping and clubbing with mine. We even check out cute guys together. One of them tells me I have bad taste in men
                    Why isnt it impossible? anything is possible...

Comment

Originally posted by maven
                      Interesting. What is the best way to give out hints without hurting the friendship? This is a skill I've never picked up. I usually just avoid the guys, end of story.
                      As platonic friends, it means we can btich about anything under the sun. So I can just bring another person's case to make my point. the other point is to keep emphasizing on the guy that i am out with or the crush in time and my platonic friend will get the cue. Never give the person a chance to say what you do not want to hear. i had a case where things went wrong and we went cold for a few days. finally we decided to meet and it was great that both parties wanted things the way it was before...phew....that was my closest shave to losing a good friend......

Comment

When I was younger, I used to think that yes, it's possible to have platonic friendships but come to think of it, it may be just wishful thinking on my part.

I had 3 good guy friends (one A & one B & one C) who in the end wanted to be more than "just friends" with me (all at different times of my life). I had to try my very best to convince them that I have no feelings for them. But A couldn't accept being just friends - so we broke off the friendship. For B, although we "try" to be friends, it's very awkward when we come out for coffee. It's not possible to talk as freely as before. For C, our friendship just drifted off...

So maybe it's diffcult being just platonic friends...

Comment

Interesting posts for this topic... It's not unusual for a close gay friend to fall in love with his "hag"... I casually fancied a gay guy friend, but we got rather close and he even comtemplated being with me. Pity he had to leave the country so it didn't work out.

I've got a handful of close guy friends and they are easy and lovely to talk to. We do need some great fellas in our lives.

Comment

To all girls who have a male best buddy / friend & are currently in a serious r/s: is your SO comfortable with your friendship with your buddy? From my experience, my previous ex-bfs never really felt comfortable with the idea of me having a male best friend, and always thought my buddy had a thing for me. Even my current SO grumbles a little every now and then when I want to hang out with my buddy (and yes, they have met and get along quite well).

Comment

my hubby said yes to my trip to USA with this buddy ..

Comment

Working...
                              X