World of Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Education

Hmm.. I'll start with myself, me graduated from PLMGS, then Singapore Poly ( Chemical engineering) before I went to Ottawa for my degree in Business Administration..

How about the rest? Wondering if I'll meet some fellow school mates..

My "Serious" lifelong schools are;

1.) PAP kindergarten
    2.) Damai Primary School
    3.) Pasir Ris Secondary School
    4.) Temasek POlytechnic - Dip in Mktg
    5.) University of Western Australia - Bachelor of Commerce (still in it)

plus a number of other classes that my mama sent me to when I was young (ballet, organ, swimming, computer, chinese dance, "deportment" classes, chinese printing (I only manage to learn how to draw rambutans), British Council, etc etc --- quite wasted because as I was such a slow learner, mostly I just hid at the back of the class)

Also also, I practised and rehearsed "Beauty Pageants" Q & As with mama, dressed in cardboard-made crowns & wands. She would record these pageants and took down their questions to go through with me...thats how I spent my childhood

I guess she was rather disappointed because I was more interested in other stuff.

Comment

I learnt the most overseas. How could I help it, alone in a foreign land...living on my own, looking after myself...totally changed my perspective of things. I realise how narrow minded and sheltered I'd been when I was living in Singapore. When I came back to SG for hols, everything would feel so damn unreal....the people, their kind of attitudes, the too-clean and too-neat spaces... :roll:

I wouldn't trade my experiences living and studying abroad for the world! I would say that contributed a large part to who I am now and what I'm like now. I consider that my 'real' education.

Comment

pan, that's exactly how i feel. stayed in australia for 5 years. grew up at a tremendous speed. had to learn how to clean, cook, wash, watch the bills and of course study. had a painful fall there but emerged stronger thanfully. but my most precious lesson was actually realising how important my family is to me. missed them a whole lot. there is no place like home.

Comment

hmm, that's the main reason why i want to go overseas. sgreans tend to be rather myopic, lacking in a worldview completely. i want to go out, meet more people, be exposed to more cultures, and discover myself.

Comment

Indeed, my yrs abroad studying has taught me more than all my other yrs in Sg could ever teach.. and I've been much more independent and also stronger after this new learning experience and most of all, I get to experienced dancing in snow flakes!!

Comment

dancing in snowflakes? that sounds very "scenic" to me. Must be a totally great experience

Comment

Definitely agree with cotters here. I was from Perth too like Mich and Blu Volka. Learnt to be independent and couldn't get over Perth when I was backed. Although S'pore is still my home where my loved ones are, still....*sigh* Remember those nights when i was crying myself to sleep.

Comment

Hi Queenie, I am still in SG. I am only supposed to go Perth next Wed But I guess I will be like you too when I think of SG... no one to cook for me, no one to wash my pillows, oversee the bill and ask about my studies
                  even now..I feel so depressed to think of it. Luckily, I got summer27 with me.

Comment

never had the opportunity to study, so i live vicariously through the exchange students that i meet here in Singapore, NTU. fantastic experience... and i realized that these exchange students have a wealth of information and knowledge that i can never get even if i am to visit their countries and live there for months on end.

and on my side, i tell them all i know about singapore... and that made me realize that us younger generation people don't know a lot about our own roots as well... started brushing up on my knowledge of singapore as well... history, culture, 7-11s scattered around singapore, especially those around the clubbing areas....

oh... hmm back to topic proper... chinese ed... almost...

maris stella pri,
                    the chinese high school,
                    hwachong JC
                    NTU (business, major HR and partying)

Comment

Originally posted by Vandalin
                      maris stella pri,
                      the chinese high school,
                      hwachong JC
                      NTU (business, major HR and partying)
                      Hey! Just me if I'm being rude, but my pals and I have a nickname for people who have followed your education path..."Ching-chong-changs"! We use this to refer to Chinese ed bookish people who have typically gone to Chinese High / Nanyang Girls, and then on to Hwa Chong.

No offence, but I think you're an exception. Systemic anomaly. (I'm so loving that word from the Matrix.)

Comment

Pan, this I agree with you fully!!

Comment

Originally posted by pandora76
                          Hey! Just me if I'm being rude, but my pals and I have a nickname for people who have followed your education path..."Ching-chong-changs"! We use this to refer to Chinese ed bookish people who have typically gone to Chinese High / Nanyang Girls, and then on to Hwa Chong.
                          Heehee.. have not heard that term for a long long time.
                          Last edited by Dimples; 24-06-2003, 09:13 PM.

Comment

heh... yeah well heard that name before, and yeah... i have had my fair share of geekish bookish people in school... was probably one in the past... still is... given the number of books that i read now. just a better dressed bookworm that's all hehehe with the school system, it's only natural that quite a lot of us don't have much of a life in sec and JC. in fact, i had no life at all... it's school, eca, home... the rest of the time that i have, i spent recovering from injuries... just surviving was difficult... still, i wouldn't trade the time i had inside for the world had my fair share of terrorizing the school.

anyway, i realized that a lot of chinese high boys and nanyang gals grow up and blossom... it's hard to tell a difference for many after they hit uni... as for system anomaly... haha! i'm a system anomaly in singapore in general, and proud of it! hahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Blu_Volka
                              Hi Queenie, I am still in SG. I am only supposed to go Perth next Wed But I guess I will be like you too when I think of SG... no one to cook for me, no one to wash my pillows, oversee the bill and ask about my studies
                              even now..I feel so depressed to think of it. Luckily, I got summer27 with me.
                              Blu_Volka...lucky you! How long will you be there for? You doing a distance learning from S'pore?

Hahaha think I am not clear enough. I meant to say I cried myself to sleep when I was backed here. I miss Perth sooooo much!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X