Relocation/Expatriate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocation/Expatriate

Guess I am the first one to vote in this poll. My answer is Yes, but a caveat is really essential here. I would seriously consider this only a couple of years later since I have just graduated and is still looking for my first full-time employment. I don't want to start my career based overseas coz I do not think I'll fully appreciate/utilize the opportunity or be able to contribute meaningly to the org. yet. I really don't want to shortchange any potential employers and also myself if it makes any sense. I want to get some solid work experience and foundation first. But I guess most gals would say YAY to such an opportunity, am I right?
    Yes
    91.14%
    No
    8.86%
    Last edited by echo_nym; 29-01-2004, 12:50 AM.

I voted for "Oh Yes! I will love it!", if I have the chance! But that doesn't mean I'm not coming back or doesn't love my country. Just for the sake of trying out new things, look at the whole world, and take it like a culture exchange!!

Comment

Interesting... somehow i don't seem to be able to decide on either choices. Guess it really depend on situation- whether i would have married by then or other important factors.

If i'm single, "Oh Yes! I will love it!" would be my choice!!!

Comment

Yeah...if you have a family, it's gonna be a hard decision, esp. if you are the female spouse. You hear of men bringing their whole families along, but rarely women, right? For a confirmed bachelorette like me, it's pretty easy.

Comment

Sorry about typo! Edited my post already...

About job-hunting, I am staying focused on the ideal job but placing it a few years down the line. That means knowing exactly what kind of experience I should be looking for and trying to keep in the same field/industry. But I have a few "scenarios", so I am not too constrained. I cannot say "I have gotta be XXX in 5 years" coz well...life happens. I am really a typical control-freak and suffer from failure paranoia, so I want to be really prepared. Seriously I worry too much and it drives everyone around me crazy . Hopefully I will improve with age.

Comment

i am someone who have went abroad to work and am still there now.
            initially i started off in singapore, working from the most basic level.
            i actually didnt quite expected to go into this line, executive search. seriously i didnt know i have the flair for it

however given the opportunity again to choose to go abroad to work, i will do it again...
            the things that you learn on the job is never the same as in your home country...
            you learn so much, and u become quite open to ideas and yes very independent as well

Comment

I would go for it if I am still single but now that I am married, there is no way I can relocate!

Comment

I'm thinking along the lines of if my hubby is sent abroad, then YES, I would love to experience life overseas for a while. It'll be fantastic to know different cultures, people, ways of livings, beliefs, practises, everything!

Er, but if I am working and sent abroad then I'll quit cause no way I'm going anywhere w/o my hubby since his job does not allow him to move overseas.

Comment

I think I'm quite strange.

I'll be prepared to relocate with my bf, quit my job and all.

But I won't relocate myself for a job unless my bf could come along with me.

I won't mind working overseas for a few years, just for the experience. But living overseas has made me realise how much Singapore is home to me. Nothing else can come close. I can grow comfortable in another land, but it will never be home the way Singapore is.

Living overseas does give me a new perspective and you get so much exposure. Life in Singapore is so so sheltered is so many aspects. But it's still always going to be home. Regardless of where I go and how long I stay away, I'll always come home to Singapore.

echo_nym: You said
                  don't want to start my career based overseas coz I do not think I'll fully appreciate/utilize the opportunity or be able to contribute meaningly to the org. yet. I really don't want to shortchange any potential employers and also myself if it makes any sense. I want to get some solid work experience and foundation first.
                  But I don't understand why? :huh:
                  According to your logic, you would never start working anywhere if you believe a lack of experience would be shortchanging your potential employer or yourself. Perhaps in some companies, only very good people get posted out? :huh:

Sky: I'm actually fine with both! I'd like to gain enough experience and perspective 'from the ground', because I believe that insight is essential to management. But I'm too impatient to slowly work my way up.

Comment

Definitely yes. SO and I have already made a pact that we will move depending on who gets a relocation offer first. The other will follow and ask for a transfer from the current company.

One thing though. I've already told my boss it has to be a developed country or nothing for me. I can't imagine having to survive in some remote city. :roll:

Comment

Yes yes yes! Honestly I will go anywhere, doesn't matter if it's Vietnam, Sri Lanka or even Oman.

What about my bf? It has always been our dream to work in some laidback country. I'm sure he will be happy to continue teaching in these countries. It will be ideal if he's willing but still dependable on many factors though.

Originally posted by Sky

On employment topic, I'm curious what fresh grads have in mind on employment nowadays? Are you looking for an ideal job only or you believe starting from the most basic to gain all ground experiences and toughen your career hierarchy, step by step.
                      I will start from the basic. If I'm firm in only looking for THAT ideal one, my mom will have to feed me for the rest of her life *lol* Honestly, I don't even know where my current job is leading to as my dream job is definitely far from this. Reality first. Dreams later.

Comment

Yes yes i will surely pounce on the opportunity if it comes!

Like others, I will not refuse the chance to experience overseas living. And another reason being singapore has very little space for career development in my advertising line. Many regional/international companies head straight to NY headquaters for important campaigns and local companies don't really give a thought for good ads. :roll: It's the culture here that will never bring this business any futhur, IMHO. All we get is adaptations and ad-hocs. :roll:

So if there is a chance, i will get out and never come back. That said, that is if i have the energy and faith to stay in this line for long enough.

Comment

yes, i would love to live abroad. the perspectives and experiences you gain cannot be obtained from this tiny island. in a way, you start to appreciate how structured, confortable and laid out everything is in singapore. but yet, you'll also detest the the societal norms that everyone strives to conform to. having lived, studied, worked (albeit in cafes) in australia for 5 years, i was all ready to get my PR and work there for at least 2 years before coming home. but due to unfortunate cirsumstances, i came home immediately upon graduation. for a while, i didn't like life back here. i missed the laid back life in australia. i missed the relaxed and leisurely life i had back then. but there is really no place better than home.

in singapore, i got my loved ones and my friends. i grew up here and everything is familiar to me. from the coffeeshop aunties and uncles to even the feeder bus drivers who have gotten used to me running after the bus in my heels.

in short, i would love the opportunity to go overseas to work or live for a while. but ultimately, i would come back here. a place where i call my home.

Comment

mich
                            i can understand how u feel
                            it was difficult to come back to singapore cos i was having the time of my life

i actually gave myself 2 years in singapore, if i dont like i will move back :roll:

that 2 years was great, back again at home with my family but the stress and pressure was too overwhelming...

i dont know if one day i can go back to singapore, prob in a lot of ppl's opinion, i am a quitter but i will always regard singapore as my home

Comment

Originally posted by raebelasian
                              I will start from the basic. If I'm firm in only looking for THAT ideal one, my mom will have to feed me for the rest of her life *lol* Honestly, I don't even know where my current job is leading to as my dream job is definitely far from this. Reality first. Dreams later.
                              Agree with you on this!

If there's a chance, I'll move over to work.
                              Last edited by dolphin; 29-01-2004, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X