Pro-creation Leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro-creation Leave

heard on the news today that one of the female MPs actually came up with the suggestion that companies should offer pro-creation leave for their employees to go make babies!! what do you gals think about that?

i think it is seriously lame, what the government should do is just fine people with no babies, haha....

Re: pro-creation leave

Originally posted by lumos
    i think it is seriously lame, what the government should do is just fine people with no babies, haha....
    that's a very good one. Sure to work, if you ask me.

Comment

Erhm, I thought I read the pro-creation leave part is for couples who need to go for medical/fertility treatment in order to conceive? It does not apply to all.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
        Erhm, I thought I read the pro-creation leave part is for couples who need to go for medical/fertility treatment in order to conceive? It does not apply to all.....
        not sure, heard it on the news but no details on whether its for fertility treatment or what

anyway i still think its lame... what about singles who want to have babies but not get married? the govt should seriously rethink their concept of families

Comment

I think singles who want babies are really rare esp locally, and I think (no offense, just a personal opinion) they should rethink such a decision. Maybe the mother/ father is perfectly happy to raise a child and bear all responsibilities alone, but maybe the child does not want to grow up in a single family? Its one thing is they're from single families because of divorce/ accidental pregnancy, but to consciously make such a decision about another's lifestyle might be taking too much into one's own hands.

Anyway, I really don't think having children is a lifestyle suitable for everyone. Some people just have personalities/ lifestyles that are more suited to be childless. And not having children no longer represents anything significant except for a decision they made. I know couples who are blissfully married who just want to be childless by choice because of certain lifestyles/beliefs, and I think its great- much better than those who have kids because 'its only natural' and the end up hating the way they spend their lives later on.

Comment

Providing leave for pro-creation isn't going to solve the problem....they should look @ reasons why married don't want to procreate.....frankly speaking, pro-creation is a personal choice....my overseas friends laugh their head off when they heard our govt is even poking their fingers into this matter...

After having the kid, a lot stills go into nurturing the child to adulthood....in my line of work, have seen so many messed up kids.....parents are either indulgent or bochup kind....I'm sure no one wish to messed up their kids' lives when they intend to hav kids....some are just not mentally prepared for the work ahead. Just my $0.02 worth...

Comment

I am happy with any improvement / benefit provided by the government, as long as it helps the parent to solve leave, financial & medical Issues. I love children, I want to have at least 4 children in my future. However, it will be a problem to have 4 children in the family financially. This has made me to think twice of my planning now.

I just hope that the government can look seriously by helping the couples to solve the problems that they are facing. For me & my SO, money is a problem. My SO still has to pay the bank loan for at least 3-4 years and he has to support the family as well. We want to get married a year ago. Unfortunately, we have to postpone our wedding to end of next year for all the wedding dinner, wedding photos & Honey Moon. Because of the money too... If we could get married earlier, I would have 1 or 2 children now. For me, I prefer to give brith before 30, but I think this is rather difficult for me now...... :roll:

Comment

Shon, wow, 4 children! You must really love kids!

Anywa, just throwing out suggestions, how about doing away with the dinner and professional photography and the original honeymoon and just settle for a simple buffet lunch, candid shots taken by friends and a short getaway to nearby place? This way its easier on your time and pocket.

Just curious, you planning to be a stay-at-home-mum or working? If working, then anyone to help you out with your children?

Comment

Originally posted by mango
                  Shon, wow, 4 children! You must really love kids!

Anywa, just throwing out suggestions, how about doing away with the dinner and professional photography and the original honeymoon and just settle for a simple buffet lunch, candid shots taken by friends and a short getaway to nearby place? This way its easier on your time and pocket.

Just curious, you planning to be a stay-at-home-mum or working? If working, then anyone to help you out with your children?

Yes, I really love children after seeing my elder sister gave birth to her 1st son. I help her to take care of the children whenever she stays in my KL house. I am learning how to take care children now.

For me, I still have some savings to cover up the wedding stuff. However, my SO is always lacking of money to settle his portion. I know that he prefers to pay everything mostly by himself. I told him that we can share the money, but he still need times to save money for that. He just bought a new fridge for his family last week..... Every month there must be something that makes him not saving much money in the bank...... :roll: Of course, he wants to get married with me but money is a problem to him.

To take care of the children, his parents can help us to do that. Of course, we don't mind to hire a maid to help out too. So that, 4 children will not cause them to be exhausted. Mm.... from what I know that it is not cheap to hire a maid in Singapore.....

Comment

Well, good things come to those who wait! I'm sure one day when you've both saved enough $ and have your own family and children, you'll be very happy.

If you plan to work full-time and your hubby also has a full-time job, than getting a maid should still be manageable (say, currently I heard that its $900+ a month?). But of course, the more children you have, the more expenditures each month. But there are always ways to work things out if you and your future hubby really wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by mango
                      Well, good things come to those who wait! I'm sure one day when you've both saved enough $ and have your own family and children, you'll be very happy.

If you plan to work full-time and your hubby also has a full-time job, than getting a maid should still be manageable (say, currently I heard that its $900+ a month?). But of course, the more children you have, the more expenditures each month. But there are always ways to work things out if you and your future hubby really wants it.
                      Thanks for your advices, Mango. I believe everything will be ok if two of us try our best to work it out. I am willing to buy less clothes & skincare products to cover the expenditures if there is a necessity.

S$900+ a month is a lot for us..... we can probably buy lot of stuff for the children..... :roll: Anyway, I will be still working after having children. Worse comes to worse, I will sacrifice myself to look for jobs that can be done at home to solve the problem. If not, his parents take care of the children at daytime. After work, I will rush home to take over the task. I think it can be work out.

Comment

i actually quite support the procreation leave cos i think no matter how much support u can get from maids, in laws, parents, the baby still need care from the mummy itself.

ultimately it comes down to money when u are talking about giving birth
                        with support ideas like leave (pay or no pay) and flexible hours, it can help the mum a lot

in australia, there are laws that mums can go on leave for 12 months (unpaid leave though) to take care of their baby
                        the only issue is the employers have to make sure that the position is on hold for the mum till she comes back

oh well if i get married and have kids i certainly will opt for flexible hours and 12 months maternity leave

Comment

i'm more for maternity leave than pro-creation leave. imagine giving you all that time to make babies then asking you to go back to work less than a year after you give birth.

Comment

not only that, good news for babies born to singapore women
                            News

Comment

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,239463,00.html?
                              And I have to fight so hard for my citizenship ten years back! The govt should have predicted the current baby-shortage situation then and grant me one straightaway

Anyway, I'm always for adopting foreign babies and giving them a good home. Just wondering if the government is going to make this easier? :huh:

Comment

Working...
                              X