Junior College Courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior College Courses

hi all im starting JC soon and i need some advice. I have no idea which courses are best for entry into Uni. for the 1st 3 months, i've been doing chem, maths and econs. however i find that econs is very hard. *sigh* so im thinking of switching to chem, maths and bio. is it wise? I heard that most of the courses in Uni do not require econs and its better to do 2 sciences. please help... :wave:
    Last edited by nicole; 23-02-2005, 01:24 AM.

Re: jc courses

Originally posted by faeriedust
    hi all im starting JC soon and i need some advice. I have no idea which courses are best for entry into Uni. for the 1st 3 months, i've been doing chem, maths and econs. however i find that econs is very hard. *sigh* so im thinking of switching to chem, maths and bio. is it wise? I heard that most of the courses in Uni do not require econs and its better to do 2 sciences. please help... :wave:

it all depends on what you really want to do in Uni. Basically, if you totally have no idea whatsoever as to what you wanna do, it'll be safest if you take the sciences & maths. you should have some sort of an idea what you want to take in uni, right?

Comment

erm actually i've never thought about what courses i want to do in uni. *yikes*

Comment

erm actually i've never thought about what courses i want to do in uni. *yikes*
        oh, haha. but basically for stuff like business, accountancy, arts, science(?) etc you dont really need any prerequisites, but for business it'd be better if you had done econs.. but seriously you should start thinking, if u wanna take biomedical / medicine, you gotta take bio in jc.. and for engineering, you need physics.. so you need to decide which sciences you wanna take. hth

Comment

You really have to think wisely about what you would like to do.
          Doing Economics would help much if you are planning to do a business course in the University. It would give you a headstart into the world of business.
          Not to mention if you do Economics and excel in it, you are able to skip foundation econs classes in the University, which would help much as University stuff is taxing and you need all the time that you need in your other subjects.
          I used to take Bio , chem, econs and math as well but I realised I prefer doing bio and chem so I dropped econs as business was just not my type.

It would be best to think carefully through this decision.
          I follow with the other girls saying to take two sciences and one math if you are unsure but it would be best to focus on what you would like to do when you get to Uni now rather than think later.
          HTHS!

Comment

I would guess if you have no idea what you would like to do, it's best to stick to the sciences and Math. If you're strong in your Physics, Physics, Chemistry and Math C seems a popular choice among most students. If you ain't good in Econs, then forget about it. If you ever want to take up business etc in uni, deal with it in uni. I think you would agree the priority is to gain entry into the uni before you think about anything else.

Guess the next upcoming sector is the biomedical field. Maybe you could find out whether biology is a pre-requsite? If it is and you're interested, then maybe you could substitute it in place of a science you ain't that good in? Most pupils can't do physics and from what I read, NTU is going to allow pupils with no physics to enrol in their engineering course.

Guess its really up to your preference and knowing what you're good at.

Comment

my bio and phy isnt very good. i got very lousy grades for the 0s. so im not sure. i dont think i can take phy. i cant seem to understand the concepts. so that leaves me with maths, chem and bio.

Comment

my bio and phy isnt very good. i got very lousy grades for the 0s. so im not sure. i dont think i can take phy. i cant seem to understand the concepts. so that leaves me with maths, chem and bio.
                Maths , chem and bio sounds like a good combination.
                Since you are saying that your physics are not very good.
                It also have to depend on your liking for the subject as well

Comment

okay thankyou. i guess i'll try that combi.

Comment

Econs is a fairly basic building block for biz studies, so i'd advise you to keep it if you are looking at that. but if not, it's pretty much useless. bio would be better to go into life sciences/biomedical/bio science fields.

one thing to note : don't go into JC with a biased look towards one subject. that was my mistake, and i didn't pay attention during the first few lectures. soon, my blurness about econs snowballed and by the time i wanted to do well in econs, it was too late. there was too much i didn't understand and that was such a hindering point. it really put a damper on my whole JC experience. so ultimately, go in with an open mind (and open EARS!) listen during lectures and you should cruise through econs just fine. lotsa my friends detest Econs but do just fine in it, just by understanding and applying.

Comment

hmm i dont want to do business. im more interested in doing chemistry. so i shouldnt do econs huh? but it seems that its very hard to do well in bio

Comment

hmm i dont want to do business. im more interested in doing chemistry. so i shouldnt do econs huh? but it seems that its very hard to do well in bio

oh, but if you're interested in it, no harm trying? or maybe you could start off with 4 A level subjects, then maybe after deciding you can just drop the extra subject?

since you're not interested in business, there's not much point for you to take econs anyway, especially since you find it difficult.

OT but what jc are you going to?

Comment

Well, if you say you do not want to do business, then opt for Biology. I am sure if you study hard in it , you can do well for the subject. I guess it's the effort you are going to put in right now.
                          All I can say that JC was a tough path for me and I actually struggled with Chemistry myself even though I did very well for my Chemistry in the O levels. I am not trying to diss you regarding the choosing of subjects but think carefully about JC life as a whole as well.
                          I agree with Islande about the tough path for JC. Need lots of discipline and self-motivation to do well in JC.
                          If you put an effort in whatever subject you are taking , you would excel in it.

Comment

okay thankyou all. i'll keep that in mind.

Comment

adding my $0.02 here, hope its not too late

i actually took 4 As when i first entered JC, bio, chem, maths c and econs. i had no background in bio but thought it would be pretty easy to pick up, boy was i wrong. and i had to meet the tutor from hell so suffice to say i dropped it in the end

surprisingly i thought i would hate econs but i actually did pretty well in it, in fact it was the only subject i managed to score in for my common tests, haha..

anyway JC and sec school is quite different, i had to struggle quite a bit for a while with my chemistry and maths though i had good grades while i was in sec school

dont be afraid to approach your tutors for help, most of them are quite friendly and are most willing to help

enjoy yr JC life, you'll miss it once you get into uni

and yes do focus more on excelling in your studies first then worry about what you want to do in uni later, at least thats my personal opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X