X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine editor

Hi people!
    Need some advise here..

I 've always want to pursue my dream in becoming a beauty/fashion magazine editor (eg.Cleo, Her World, Female.. etc), after I completed my studies. I'm currenting pursuing diploma in Marketing and graduating soon. Is it neccessary for me to further my studies and obtain at least a degree, so as to have higher chance of working with them.

However till now, I don't think i really know the job of a magazine editor . I know it is not easy but i find it rather exciting and challenging for me.
    I need to have an understanding what's the job of a magazine editor like?
    Anyone can explain or describe to me the real job scope of a magazine editor,what are they suppose to do actually, neccessary qualification, estimated working hours and wages, and job criteria?

Anybody IS a magazine editor here?

I need to know how to pursue this little dream of mine..
    Last edited by NiteyLychee; 24-08-2004, 05:54 PM.

I am thinking of working in a magazine company too
    I am not too sure but maybe a mass comm or media & comms degree would help.

I've just graduated with a Business IT dip. And I really do not want to go into that field...

*sigh* Any1 here can advise us on this???

Comment

ask for an internship with a mag company
      it will let u to have an insight into the business

i dont know of any positions but write in and try?

good luck!

Comment

start off as an editorial assistant first, esp if you do not have a degree. HTH

Comment

it's a difficult field to break into and be prepared for low pay even if you're an editor compared to your peers working in more 'serious' magazines

Comment

I am and hoping to go into broadcast.
            Last edited by Sugarbean; 14-08-2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Sugarbean- a bit OT, but what kind of qualifications are needed to be a copywriter? And whats the pay range and job scope like? TIA!

Yikes, hope im not hijacking this thread w that question...

anyway, ive read that magazine writers are forever earning nuts. IMHO, I think high end fashion magazine editors only exist in NYC/Paris/Milan. Or basically, the US..but of course reserved to the big magazines like Vogue, harper bazzar, Allure. Correct me if Im wrong but they seem to have a more glamourous life.. since they visit fashion shows, meet the designers themselves and even get invited to the poshest fashion industry parties...so yeah. The Singapore industry pales in comparison...afterall, how exciting is it to view a fashion show by Celia Loe, as compared to meeting and even befriending a designer like Alexander McQueen in person...

So yeah, I once had the same thoughts as you..But really, it is highly overrated.

Comment

I think that usually editors or even the feature writers all require degrees now. My cousin has a journalism degree and I think it was still hard for her to get a job in a magazine. You might want to try pursuing a degree in Mass Comm or Journalism...I think that would be more relevant than Marketing... All the best!

Comment

nah pixash - it only SEEMS glamourous to be attending these events if you're not working; after a while, you'd wish the party is over real soon or that you're home in front of the tv. and no i don't think overseas fashion/beauty writers are paid much either, unless you're a suzy menkes; generally, writing professionally doesn't pay well with the exception of trade writing in a field like petrochemicals or aviation. so you really need to love the job

Comment

Originally posted by Pixash
                    Sugarbean- a bit OT, but what kind of qualifications are needed to be a copywriter? And whats the pay range and job scope like? TIA!

To be a Copywriter, it definitely requires a degree and above. I think most jobs these days require a degree and nothing less, right? That's my perception at least.

You would also require a portfolio.

Pay range highly depends on your experience. But I nailed my first copywriting job despite not having direct copywriting experience. My experience previously (before Copywriting) was based in magazine writing and journalism.

However, Copywriting is classified into 2 further types, Editorial style and concept/agency style. The first type is exactly like run-of-the-mill journalism, and is usually lengthy and reads like a usual magazine/newspaper article.

The second type, usually requires experience and competency in advertising because it reads more like "Just found out you have cancer? Is it the beginning or the end?" (from Prudential) or "Connecting People" (Nokia)

Agency copywriting usually ties in with a concept and is characterised by short and snazzy lines. And Agency Ccopywriters normally work hand in hand with designers and art directors to establish the direction and concept before they come up with their copy.

I dabbled in Agency Copywriting and found that I did not enjoy it nor excel in it.
                    I am much happier doing editorial copywriting and it's something I excel in and in my comfort zone.

To answer the rest of the questions from other posters, magazine writers in Singapore AND in western countries as well earn peanuts!

Editors don't earn much more, unfortunately.

Writers in general don't get paid a lot, and even SPH journalists in general are not well paid. Well, by my standards at least, when I compare the salary scale of writers/journalists with other friends who hold professional vocations, it certainly isn't well paid at all.

Oh and i must debunk the misconception that journalists and writers are all holding Mass Communication degrees. Many writers are holding Arts degrees and in SPH, i'd estimate at least half of them in the newsroom are Arts degree holders and not Mass Communication degree graduates.

Arts disciplines teach you how to analyze issues, formulate arguments in essays, force you to read and write voraciously, sieve out the essentials from a barrage of information_all skills essential to be a journalist and writer. Think about it, the mass comm course is fairly new and less than 2 decades old. How have the papers been running without mass comm trained journalists before? They were all Arts grads, that's how. This's another misconception that the masses generally have about the media industry. That reporters and writers are definitely Mass Comm grads.

Comment

actually the newly-hired news reporters now tend to be mass comm grads more than arts grads, i would reckon that at least more than half of the newly-hired reporters (i.e. about 7 years in the industry at least) are mass comm grads, at least in the news industry. analyzing skills and all are good but editors do prefer to not be hassled too much especially if you're running a daily, they want you to get on the job, go, and delivery. anyway, unless you're a senior writer, you don't need much analyzing skills just the ability to string a story in an appropriate manner in minimal time, because what you write would be dictated by the editors

so yeah, i would say a mass comm degree would help but it's not necessary - if you have the tenacity, you can do it, it's all about connections anyway

Comment

Oh dear...

Being an eidtor is not as easy, fun and exciting as I imagined it to be..

Really lots of hard work...

Comment

Originally posted by bluebubble
                          actually the newly-hired news reporters now tend to be mass comm grads more than arts grads, i would reckon that at least more than half of the newly-hired reporters (i.e. about 7 years in the industry at least) are mass comm grads, at least in the news industry. analyzing skills and all are good but editors do prefer to not be hassled too much especially if you're running a daily, they want you to get on the job, go, and delivery. anyway, unless you're a senior writer, you don't need much analyzing skills just the ability to string a story in an appropriate manner in minimal time, because what you write would be dictated by the editors

so yeah, i would say a mass comm degree would help but it's not necessary - if you have the tenacity, you can do it, it's all about connections anyway
                          That was my point.
                          Last edited by Sugarbean; 14-08-2008, 04:08 PM.

Comment

hi sugarbean, i wasn't didn't say you are wrong or were suggesting that no mass comm grads are writers. i was just commenting on the overall situation from what i know, which just differs from your perception somewhat. and the point about tenacity does not imply anything else other than what the sentence suggests literally

Comment

pay is peanuts! i wouldnt accept it, my friend earns 1.3K for Female, assistant editor
                              Last edited by PING; 08-11-2006, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X