Postgrad / Further Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgrad / Further Studies

Is anyone thinking of persuing their studies, or plan to? What do you used to major in, or is studying for now? And in which areas do you intend to further your studies?

After a few years of work, I'm considering to continue my studies. Still pondering over the following points:
    -Full time/ part time?
    -Local/ overseas?
    -Business/ IT management/ Psychology?
    -Master/ Degree?

I figured that psychology is probably what I'm most interested in, having been studying business admin for most part of my education. However, I've found out that in singapore, you need to start Psychology with a degree first. Hence my options are:
    -MBA or similar
    -Degree in psychology (locally)/ possibly master in Psychology overseas

MBA is probably more value-adding, but psychology is my interest. Which will you choose - value-add or interest? In addition, I'm not sure if i should abandon my career to study overseas. To experience overseas living is one of my dreams. Therefore, again, career+family or dream?

Anyone has friends doing psychology now?

Thanks for the advice

Was recommended by professor in school to do psychology for postgraduate studies. I didn't take it up finally. Can't imagine what I can do in Singapore with it :huh:

No offence to anyone but I feel psychology is much over-rated overseas.

Comment

Well you can go into private practice and set up your own clinic hehe.

Anyway a friend once told me that if you want to study psychology you gotta go all the way to PhD...or else no use...dunno true or not. :huh:

Comment

it depends. if you really want to become a psychiatrist then you would definitely have to go up to a PhD before you can do that. but if you're just planning on studying it for interest and not really for career then i guess you dont have to. i did psuchology for 1 year in uni that i stopped coz it was lots of work and i figured i wouldnt really be able to make use of it when i start working.

Comment

Yea that's what I meant...study psychology to go into it as a career.

Comment

OT, on a lighter note, someone actually told me the hidden meaning of PHD

P = Permanent
            H = Head
            D = Damage

Comment

That was what my QM lecturer told us :ROFL: :ROFL:

Comment

according to this psychologist during a career talk i went to, in order to be a practicing psychologist in sg, the minimum criteria is a masters degree in psychology.

the psychologist at the career talk said masters program in psychology is more specialized, so you need to choose your field e.g criminal psychology, child psychology.

according to her, because the market is pretty small, the only major demand here is for child psychologists. of course if you intend to pursue a Phd and do research perhaps this will be of less relevance to you.

just to let you know, psychiatry is a medical related field, i.e you need to be a medical doctor before you can study psychiatry, whereas psychology is not. hths!

Comment

Dreamie, if you're interested in pursuing an MBA, you don't actually have to go overseas (unless that's the whole idea, hehe). A number of well known business schools are now in Singapore, INSEAD being a prime example.

As for whether you should choose between your head or your heart, that is a decision that ultimately YOU will have to make. We can't give you the answers here... ...just some advide on what could be good decisions and what could be bad.

Think of it this way: if you have to do something all your life, would you rather it be something you don't really like, but provides you with a comfortable lifestyle? Or would you prefer it to be something you're passionate about, but which may not always pay, and which may even require occasional sacrifices.

Most of us, I believe, try to strike a balance between the two...if that's possible!

Comment

yeah don't forget insead, it's a very good postgrad school, check it out

Comment

Re: Further Studies?

hey dreamie, i was in the same delimma two years back. I had a wonderful job which pays very well. But i suddenly has the urge to go back to school since i only completed diploma in a local poly in engineering. But if you ask me if i regreted at this point of time, i would say no. Being overseas away from home and be independent is something that my previous job wouldn't let me experience. I enjoy knowing so many international friends from Peru to South Africa to Bangladesh...etc. i learnt to appreciate much more things in life.I went with my feelings. I can only say i'm happy with my decision.
                      Last edited by esabelle; 07-10-2003, 01:58 PM.

Comment

from someone who went that route...

Originally posted by Dreamie
                        After a few years of work, I'm considering to continue my studies. Still pondering over the following points:
                        -Full time/ part time?
                        -Local/ overseas?
                        -Business/ IT management/ Psychology?
                        -Master/ Degree?

I figured that psychology is probably what I'm most interested in, having been studying business admin for most part of my education. However, I've found out that in singapore, you need to start Psychology with a degree first. Hence my options are:
                        -MBA or similar
                        -Degree in psychology (locally)/ possibly master in Psychology overseas

Which will you choose - value-add or interest? In addition, I'm not sure if i should abandon my career to study overseas. To experience overseas living is one of my dreams. Therefore, again, career+family or dream?

just to check, did you do your basic degree in bizad or psychology? if the former, how many psych subjects did you take?

for psychology, the minimum to PRACTISE as psychologist used to be upper hons. i've heard they are now revising it to at least a masters level.

do note the difference between a psychologist and psychiatrist - one specializes in human behaviour and cannot prescribe medication, the other is a medical degree specializing in sychiatry and is authorised to prescribe medication.

first off, you have to ask yourself, what do you intend to do with a psych degree? where do you see yourself working? how keen is your interest in psychology? what branch of psychology are you interested in? at masters level there are so many specializations now.
                        Clinical psych is still one of the most popular, and the one most people think of when you say psychology. then there's child psych, organisational psych, educational psych, counselling psych, sports psych....the list goes on.

the organisations that employ psychs would be MINDEF, MOH, MOE, MCD etc. keep in mind that starting pay for most psychologists is CRAP - you're probably looking at < $2.5k. MINDEF and MOE would pay better, but for MCD, most psych employers are voluntary organisations and don't pay well. expect to work with the 'special' population so you really have to have a love for working with them.

very very few companies have an inhouse psychologist - either for counselling, or organizational. a v limited number of MNCs do employ psychs, but these are v few and far between. you would find that a lot of the local companies and even the stat boards and govt bodies prefer to outsource their psychologists.

it would be VERY VERY VERY hard to open a clinic by yourself with just a Masters cos you simply don't have the required expertise nor experience nor contacts yet. so unless you can get into some of the smaller psych clinics or have some contacts there, it's not as easy as it appears.

you can do your degree locally, then go overseas for your honours and/or masters. you don't have to do your honours in sg.

do check which are the approved universities for masters. if in doubt, the state unis are usually quite safe. but CHECK CHECK CHECK! look at the program, what does it offer, is there an attachment/work experience scheme? how well known are the lecturers/professors in the psych community?

if you're planning really long term and want to work in the States as a psych, then you'll need to study all the way to a PhD.

you're porbably looking at 3yr deg + 1yr hons + 2-3yr masters = 6-7years total. so you have to ask yourself if you can afford to pay for the course overseas + living expenses + time away from family. (i'm assuming that you're paying for it. if on PM (papamama) scholarship then it's a different kettle of fish lah!

i do have to say, studying and living overseas is an experience which is unforgettable. you either stand on your own two feet or fall flat on your face. and if you do manage to survive, you come out of it stronger.

gah....blabbering on at length now. if you have any questions abt psych in SG or overseas, feel free to PM me and i'll answer any questions to the best of my knowledge!

cheerio! :wave:
                        Last edited by vixette; 04-04-2003, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyC
                          Anyway a friend once told me that if you want to study psychology you gotta go all the way to PhD...or else no use...dunno true or not. :huh:
                          Yup...else how you open clinic for consultation....People trust Dr. XXX more mah... hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Dimples
                            Was recommended by professor in school to do psychology for postgraduate studies. I didn't take it up finally. Can't imagine what I can do in Singapore with it :huh:

No offence to anyone but I feel psychology is much over-rated overseas.

The industry is very small in Singapore, so everyone else knows everyone else.

U'll most probably end up working in the hospitals (IMH, TTSH, SGH, and maybe NUH) doing psychological assessments, or working with the special schools, where you will get to do more behavoural therapy.

Yeah or the organizational psychologist get employed by large corporations, far and few large corporations indulge in such expenditure, tho when I was looking for job Fedex or some US MNC was hiring organisational psychologist for 60K a yr

Also, few have own private clinics after working in the hospitals where they get referrals for assessments etc.

I think psychology is an over-rated subject. LOL
                            Last edited by baobei; 04-04-2003, 01:08 AM.

Comment

not a psych grad but if you're interested, just go for it...i wouldn't study anything i'm not passionate about, it would just be a waste of time and energy for me since i could've spent the time making $$$ anyway, doesn't justify the supposedly extra income that i'll get if i study something 'useful' and 'economically-viable'

Comment

Working...
                              X