Jobs and job scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs and job scope

the thread on salary issue inspired me. haha i always wanted to know about the different jobs what they do and all. I know it could be easy to read them off job adverts but mostly those are very general and sometimes not "true"

so what is your current job now and basically what you do?

Do you love your job? why?

Happy with your pay?

How much higher can you climb?

Any marcom execs?

Any engineers?

Any designers?

Any financial person?

Any IT person?

Any sales executive?

Any admin staff?

Anyone in healthcare industry?

Anyone in customer service?

Anyone in mangerial position?

Last edited by cUp; 21-02-2005, 12:49 PM.

Comment

hey cuppucino, I've always wanted to find out more about all the jobs in the world and what they involve too so i could make a more informed choice of what i want to do in future . but its just so difficult to get accurate and detailed information just from talking to people.

hope this thread will help provide more info for people like me.. oh but I was intending to purchase the Career guide that is out at some newstands now. It's published by the Straits Times annually and i heard it's pretty helpful.. you might want to try getting it too.

Comment

Engineering..came across an article in TODAY. It was mentioned that nowadays people would rather go for life sciences courses than for engineering courses.

Is that true that engineering in Spore is getting outdated ? I've heard from some engineers that it is due to the pulling out of many manufacturing companies from spore....

any engineers?

Comment

ex-engineer here...

i believe the intake for each year used to be determined by market forces. when i was applying for uni, engineers (esp chemical engineers) earned the most. EDB even released figures that claimed that there will be lots of job openings for us when we graduate.

in the end, most of us ended up in non-related fields. some went back to further their studies but at the end still no job...

i believe there are simply too many engineering students than there are jobs actually available.

Comment

so what is your current job now and basically what you do? IT attachment.

Do you love your job? why? No!!! I study programming but ended up doing BORING documentation here which I think is a waste of my time cos I learn nothing.

Happy with your pay? No no no!!! Student on attachment are paid miserably. I'm paid a freaking low $420 per month, hardly enough to cover transport and food.

How much higher can you climb? Hmm.. don't think I wanna climb any higher in this company, I'm ready to leave when my attachment ends

Comment

haha that's quite typical of an attachment for IT/engineering field unless you are really lucky. My friend was in IT and his attachment was doing "coffee-boy" kind of work. haha...yeah kinda learnt nothing at all...

and yeah, most of my engineering friends are doing non-related jobs as well. ME INCLUDED! haha...switching my career path to finance...

Comment

Haha.. my friend is selling blank CDs at Sim Lim square. How worse can it get?

Comment

Re: Jobs and job scope

Research Analyst - headhunting (primary and secondary research), strategic planning mergers and acquisitions, website maintenance (writing content)

Yeah, I get to learn from all areas. Everyday is different for me.

Happy with your pay?
                  Yes, but the more the merrier?

I think for my case, it is quite hard to say.
                  I can choose to go on and become a consultant doing mainly headhunting.

I can also move up the level, and lead a research team of newbies.

Strategic consulting is really something i am interested in for now.

Comment

whats headhunting natnatviv? hee sorry~

Comment

one useful site

http://www.asiaonecareers.com.sg/newest/qna/

Comment

Originally posted by cUppucino
                        whats headhunting natnatviv? hee sorry~
                        aka recruiting. headhunting usually occurs at the upper level of management, managers and above.
                        also like offering opportunities (in terms of employment) to senior management who are in existing jobs.

Comment

no one willing to share about their professions? haha

I've got lots of feedback from the girls at "checking in from workplace" thread..but it was deleted..

anyone care to share? hee...

lots of web designers and engineers.. :deal:

Comment

I'm a Software developer...

quite ok.. the environment is enjoyable..

Happy with your pay?
                            NO

not very sure... am a fresh grad..

Comment

used to love but not now given the pressure after promotions and all the office politics to handle

Happy with your pay?
                              very satisfy given my low qualification but wouldn't mind more..

there is prospects... just depend on whether i reach my tolerance limits to call it quit

Comment

Working...
                              X