Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you stay in your job?

Hi gals,

Just interested to know how long do you stay in a job before moving on the next? The norm is a year or two. But trend has definitely changed. So do pour in your views.

Yes trends definitely change...the younger generation won't stay long because they want to climb faster.

I belong to old generation so I have been in this company for nearly 6 years.

Comment

I also belong to the old trend. Been with my company for coming 5 years

I used to think like the younger generation, get a few years of experience and move on eslewhere hopefully for a better salary
      but apparently economy got worse and worse that deters me from changing job.

Oh well...once a new generation to old generation

Comment

Hi demi, all along I thought you are the younger generation.

Yah I used to think I want to jump to another company so I can have fast increment rather wait for the annual one. But as time flies so fast I sorta of grow to appreciate my boss thou he can be damn inflexible and demanding at times so glued to my desk.

Comment

well im temp-ing now so i aim to get as much experience as possible, on my third job now haha last two jobs lasted for 4 days and a month respectively

Comment

u must temp in the right direction which will be useful to your future job! if not those temp jobs not really counted as work experience. Like me, i temp alot during sch days. but come graduation, my work experience still somehow = no experience. But at least, i have worked before l.ah hahaha...

in short: must gain related work experience if not it's = none

Comment

yah, so true... temp job experiences really do affect your perm job chances. For me, I used to work as admin asst for 5 mths before uni, now my perm job's job scope is so similar to my then-temp job.

BTW, i'm an administrator cum personal asst. I'm supposed to run the company for my boss as he is too busy and has, like 4 or more companies at hand. But for 98% of my time, I feel like an admin asst, 2% of the time I call the shot. Quite an irony as i thought that my temp experience is useful enough to land me this job, but I really feel like a general clerk now! OMG!! :Doh:

So the moral of the story is: let ur temp experience land u in the correct company/industry instead of landing you in the same job scope.

Most of my frens quit their 1st jobs within 3 weeks to 3 mths. Their 2nd job lasted them longer... As for me, I am with my current co for almost 8 mths. Looking for opportunity again. Ha!

Comment

Yeah, i belong to the older trend too. Had been in the company for 7 yrs. from 21st till 28 yrs old, spending my youth days and growing with the company.

The reason i did not leave is i love my job, it is challenging, although had to spend 6 months working shifts. But the bonus is good. This job is also too specialized that it is very difficult for me to find another job outside.

Comment

I'm with my present company for about 2+ years. I'm undecided if I want to look for a new job. One factor would be the working hours - I'm hoping to keep it to less than 60 hours per week. A 50 hour week will be great.

I think it's not so easy to look for jobs nowadays.

Comment

1st job lasted me 1 yrs plus only and this current job is also 1 yrs + n i wanna quit on the 3rd day but hanging on 'coz doing part-time study....
                    sian....

Comment

i want to be a financial analyst/investment banker but i cant find related temp jobs for that, argh, my current job basically involves me getting paid for sitting in front of my computer the whole day surfing the net, haha so i can safely say hardly no experience earned at all, i want to look for something else but the pay i am getting now is holding me back..

Comment

I didn't usually last beyond 4 years. My 4th year is coming up soon. I already started looking last year. I do still wanna leave one day but I have a feeling I'd be here to stay as ageism is ON my side. It's a cruel society we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by charms
                          i want to be a financial analyst/investment banker but i cant find related temp jobs for that, argh, my current job basically involves me getting paid for sitting in front of my computer the whole day surfing the net, haha so i can safely say hardly no experience earned at all, i want to look for something else but the pay i am getting now is holding me back..
                          does your company allow you to surf with your 'shower cap' on??

mine slightly over 2 years. last few were about 3 years.

Comment

haha i could probably put on a bathrobe to work and they would not be bothered at all...

Comment

so nice... enjoy while it lasts. till u hit back school

Comment

Working...
                              X