Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Design Schools

Raffles LaSalle, LaSalle-SIA, or NAFA

Which of the three is better and more recognised in Singapore for a design diploma/degree (course in mind is Graphic Design/Visual Comm.)?

(i.e. NAFA = Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, not the fitness test! )

Visual com in Raffles Lasalle is pretty recognized,but the fees are a .Next bet is Lasalle-SIA

Comment

Although I am Lasalle-SIA alumni, and I love the school....I'd have to admit employers prefer NAFA grads. Their standards are better I hear. Lasalle-SIA is like a playground. Doesn't take much to pass/get your diploma...

Comment

The fees for Raffles LaSalle is definitely sky high, ange!

I never knew that employers prefer NAFA grads, daphz! :eh: Because I know quite a no. of people who don't know got such an institution existing...

Thanks for all the comments so far! :D

Comment

In my previous company (an ad agency), they refer hiring NAFA designers too. My boss thinks that NAFA grads are better trainned in the art basics like sketching and prespective. They tend to churn out more traditional and 'safe' design that Singaporean clients prefer and accept. Lasalle grads can really think out of the box but the designs are mostly 'messy' and not generally accepted. Unless your client is like Zouk or something.

Comment

pls NEVER EVER COME TO RAFFLES LASALLE!!!!! They suck money out of students,treating people like fools! :shout:

Comment

Hi, I graduated from Lasalle-SIA but I have friends studying at the three different colleges. All of us have came to this conclusion on the strengths of these schools:
              NAFA- Fine Arts
              Raffles-Lasalle-Fashion
              Lasalle-SIA- Design
              I used to have a few classmates who transfered from NAFA to Lasalle-SIA, reason they gave was they prefer to study design at Lasalle-SIA. They have since graduated happily then

Comment

Originally posted by elainetsai
                In my previous company (an ad agency), they refer hiring NAFA designers too. My boss thinks that NAFA grads are better trainned in the art basics like sketching and prespective. They tend to churn out more traditional and 'safe' design that Singaporean clients prefer and accept. Lasalle grads can really think out of the box but the designs are mostly 'messy' and not generally accepted. Unless your client is like Zouk or something.
                can i know which ad agency you previously worked for? cos my bf is a NAFA grad and most of the time when he go job hunting , the employees say they prefer TP students than NAFA... i'm trying to keep a lookout for him now.. pls help!

Comment

:wow: I thought it's what you can offer and do for the company that's important, rather than what school you graduated from?

Comment

hi cotters, how about other private design schools? are they generally not recognised at all at design co. ? thinking of pursuing a design dip. in private school but is not well known at all.......will employers give me a chance based on portfolio in sch or which sch i graduated from?

thks....

Comment

i'm from Lasalle - SIA ..

Personally, i feel that some lecturers are damn stuck ups. Some students just got to suck up to them, and they'll give fantastic marks! In general, not all of them are like that,but the minority is ENOUGH to kill.

The school is old, every part of the school is 'vandalism'.. but they're building a new premise in bugis area.. not sure when will be completed.

i'm actually contemplating whether to change to NAFA.
                      :roll:
                      Last edited by Jerlle; 04-05-2005, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Coleman Creative Design School

Hi hi!

I am interested in pursuing a second diploma in this private design institution cos my previous IT dip. was relevant but without a good portfolio to boot, so i can't take a degree in design.

Anyone heard of this school? I feel like i am the only lonely soul out here to enrol!

Comment

starry05: My friend is in NAFA and she said that quite alot of her classmates transferred from LaSalle-SIA.

brandedcarrie: Never heard of it ley... why not NAFA? If you study 3 years, you get a dip. If you study one more year, you'll get a Bachelor, so why not?

Comment

are there any short courses in the design schools? like, 2 mths course or something.

i'm too lazy to call up...

Comment

hehe....i no $....self support already...

this dip course only last 18 months, wondering any insiders can tell me if this kind of design dip is not employable or not?

Comment

Working...
                              X