Depressed about school stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed about school stuff

I believe many would know about Final Year Projects in poly students last year.

Apparently, it is something that might cause me to not get my diploma this year.

I might be failing this Final Year Project and have to plan for my future as my mother has advised me not to continue.

This diploma was never of my interest but as i was merely using it as a stepping stone i try putting in my best effort and my results are mainly Bs, slightly above average results.

Repeating this Final Year Project would mean wasting one more year in Poly. you have 6 months to complete the project else you are considered expelled. The other 6 months you are just waiting for your cert.

I've had plans earlier. Graduating from this Stupid Poly and then go to University of Queensland to take up a degree of my interest (Majoring in Business)

However now that my plan is ruined i have to plan ahead. I need advise from you cotters.

Choice 1: Carry on with the diploma although i have struggled for 3 yrs. (My point of view: This diploma would not help me if i'm not intending to go into engineering field and it is only a stepping stone. The FYP is very stressful and my mum thinks i shouldn't continue too.)

Choice 2: Go to SIM get a diploma in biz (1yr) and a degree there.

Choice 3: Go to Universities in Australia and see if any of them would accept me based on my past results only failing the FYP.

Choice 4: Go to MDIS get a dip (1yr) or advanced dip (should be one yr also) and try to get into Aussie Uni.

Any other solutions that might help set my path? If you think of an expensive solution just mention it. My mum just wants me to get my degree. Because after my degree i intend to get MBA and slowly go up to phd.

That's how far i'm planning.

Thanks!

Since expense is not an issue, I suggest that you find out if it's possible to go direct into a degree program or at least get advanced standing in a business diploma program (which in turn should give you advanced standing into a degree program) in Australia. Attend the following event and speak to as many reps as you can.

AUSTRADE: Study in Australia 2005

Details: More than 100 representatives from over 40 Australian educational institutions will provide counselling and answer questions from students and their parents.

Day & Date: Friday 18 March - Sunday 20 March 2005

Time: 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Venue: Suntec Singapore Convention Center Hall 402, Level 4

The folks at IDP aren't always the most efficient but they can be relied on for good advice. My brother went with them, while my agent is Alvin at OAL (very helpful guy). In addition, you can do your own research at this site:
    http://www.thegoodguides.com.au/site

If you're going to remain in Singapore, I think either SIM or PSB are two of the better options. Maybe a course like this one, but find out exactly how much advanced standing it's going to get you with your target university.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Evey! I am currently starting on my FYP in Republic Polytechnic and its really stressful now! Holidays are burnt all the way being in the lab

I was somehow thinking that it might be a good idea to repeat the FYP and address certain issues on why it failed previously? You have come so far and being in the 3rd year, it would be good to give it another shot! Besides, Poly tuition fees are definitely not cheap so why give up in the last leg of the race and waste the other 2 yrs of your effort?( since you have stated that your grades are slightly above average, most people would want your results!) Having a diploma would definitely boost up your overall entry into any other university you'd like

Btw , have you checked out on the other routes you have mentioned? In terms of the criteria and such. It might be a good choice to look up on these you have mentioned and then try to email them and ask them about any special requests or applications.

2nd to Saresha with regards to the Study in Aust fair in Suntec. Go there and check it out

Comment

For one thing, i feel that if i waste my time on my FYP it'll eventually only entitle me to a route in Uni. If i manage to get into Uni without wasting this one year. Is it better? Just my thought.

Yeah, i'll be going down to the fair next week. Would bring my parents down too. Haha.

I've been accepted into UQ but they require me to show them my Dip. So i'm going to ask if i'm able to get in without this dip.

But still worrying over it and need advise. Thanks saresha and stilafaux!

Any other advise cotters?

Comment

Yep Evey, you better ask UQ about it All the best girl!

Comment

Originally posted by saresha
            In addition, you can do your own research at this site:
            http://www.thegoodguides.com.au/site
            Saresha i can't get into the goodguides website.
            Last edited by saresha; 13-03-2005, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Oops. Yeah, the server isn't very good. Try again later?
              Last edited by saresha; 13-03-2005, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Evey,

chin up gal! as long as the FYP's not over and results are not out yet, there's still a fighting chance that you can pass.

anyhow, check with the UQ biz advisers id they can grant some credit exemption based on your dip modules passed to date (excluding the FYP) and see what they say from there.

from what i know the advisers in UQ are v understanding esp if there are extenuating circumstances.

Comment

I just emailed the UQ side on saturday. But haven't gotten a reply. Hope i'll get one soon.

Hopefully the event at suntec would have UQ representatives there or something. Sigh.

Comment

actually i have a question, if you havent got a diploma, doesnt it means you have a few amount of credit exemptions for your entry to Uni?

FYPs are the final lap to your diploma, i feel that you should complete no matter what it is. (this is just my opinion, u start something u finish it)

you do have to understand, the past will catch up with you when employers ask you why you didnt finish your FYP.

to them, it signifies something else?

Comment

Totally agreed with Natnatviv.

Even though you might not like the course, you have been studying it for the past 21/2 years. The FYP is just an end to it. If you drop it now, it means that the past years have gone to waste.

Even for degree or the PHD you would like to pursue in future. The thesis and dissertation are going to be way so much difficult than your FYP. Are you going to give up than?

At the end of the day, it's your determination that counts.

Comment

I also agree that you should just press on and complete your FYP. A diploma will not come easily, you have to work for it. Good that you have pathed out your future But how are you going to handle your PhD research work, data analysis, publication of papers, writing of final thesis if you cannot handle your FYP now? PhD will definitely be a lot more demanding than a FYP for your diploma. I can assure you this because I have done both a FYP for my honours year and I am pursuing my PhD now.

Grit your teeth and press on! Since you already have a goal, work towards it. Nothing comes easy

Comment

Originally posted by Vonn
                          I also agree that you should just press on and complete your FYP. A diploma will not come easily, you have to work for it. Good that you have pathed out your future But how are you going to handle your PhD research work, data analysis, publication of papers, writing of final thesis if you cannot handle your FYP now? PhD will definitely be a lot more demanding than a FYP for your diploma. I can assure you this because I have done both a FYP for my honours year and I am pursuing my PhD now.

Grit your teeth and press on! Since you already have a goal, work towards it. Nothing comes easy
                          Just curious..but wad PhD are you taking now?

Comment

Hmm, thanks for all the replies.

But i was thinking more of this way. The way my mum and aunt though of also. Together with my mum's company staff, one of which a director.

If i fail, i have to "retain" for a year. Knowing that this diploma is only a stepping stone to a Uni, i feel it will waste my future one year. Let's not talk about the 3yrs i've 'wasted'. No matter what, i think i've not wasted these 3 yrs because i've learnt a lot.

If i take that one year to complete a Dip in SIM or better still be able to get into UQ (Btw, they've already accepted me) would it be better?

I never liked engineering but stood by it till now. My FYP is not the kind of project where you can find information on the net or can easily understand it through somewhere. You need professionals and lecturers to aid you. Who is able and willing to do so? No one.

Therefore knowing you can have another path leading you to what you have always wanted and also get where you want to be, is it better that way?

If i only know now that i've started something that is not to my advantage and it in fact tortures me, must i still finish it when there is another path and it'll harm no one?

These are the questions i'm thinking of now. I understand what you babes are trying to across to me and i also know that nothing comes easy. However, given a path that leads you to the same direction, one easy the other just torments you. Which would you choose?

I'm not simply looking for an easy way out and giving up easily. If i am i would have left the school and just went on with my plans. I'm just looking at things at another perspective if all else fails.

"When you have interest in what you're taking, no matter how hard it is, you'll do and achieve your best. But when the interest is not there, giving in your best might not lead you to a desirable result." (Quoted from Mummy Dearest)

Comment

Originally posted by Adel
                              Just curious..but wad PhD are you taking now?
                              I would rather not reveal in a public forum

Comment

Working...
                              X