Job Seeking Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Seeking Fatigue

i'm currently still an undergraduate, am about the graduate in a month's time after my final exams. however, i am already feeling tired from application of jobs. many employeers have already started recruiting and some of my peers have already got a job contract. a few even have multiple offers.

however, after countless application and many interviews and then many rejections, i am already feeling tired from job seeking. now then i understand how tough competition is out there. for example, i went to this bank's assessment centre recently, and they were looking to hire about 20 out of 45 shortlisted candidate. unfortunately i was not offered employment, but from what i heard from my friend working in the bank, out of the 20 candidates they recruited, more than 10 were those indian and chinese scholars. i feel so tired, yet stressed out that many of my friends already have a job waiting for them upon graduation and yet i have none.

anyone feeling the same as me?

Hi didy,

I understand how you feel, but don't let it make you stressed out. If you keep feeling pressurized, sometimes it shows during the interviews as you are trying so hard to make good impression and secure the job. Trust that something will come your way, and everybody has a different path to walk. It doesn't mean you are less qualified. Just be patient and don't give up!

Comment

hi pretty panda,

thanks for your encouragement! i'm trying not to be affected by job seeking and all.. just want to focus on my final exams. you are right, i should not be too stressed over it, want my potential employers to know i have what they are looking for, and not a desperate graduate trying to grab any job coming her way.

thanks panda!

Comment

Hi didy,

I felt the same way years back when I was graduating and quite a number of my peers secured a job before graduating but not me! I stopped job search a couple of months before graduating to concentrate on my exams and had a bit of break after graduation before I started work.

It's already a few years since I graduated and I'm still doing ok despite securing a job and starting work a couple of months after graduation. Some of my friends who secured jobs later had very good opportunities too and career-wise are progressing faster than friends who secured jobs earlier. Both hard work & luck counts.

BTW, if companies hire staff to replace a resignee, it would be hard for them to keep the position open till you graduate. Hence, it may be easier to secure a job if after graduation. Don't worry too much about job search now, it's more important to study hard and do well in the exams!

Comment

just remember that if rejected; it is partically due to luck and not being at the right place and right time, saying the right thing...or even not wearing the right clothing!

Hence, being rejected does not mean that we have a 'problem'

Comment

As a graduating student myself, i can identify with how u girls felt! Especially glitzy, because i have also been selected to go for the first 2 rounds on interviews until i've been kicked out at the final round. Felt quite badly after that experience because it was my first attempt at interviews! Not to mention, the company was one that I was very interested in.

But now I've got to concentrate on my final exams too. Good luck to all in the same situation as me!

Comment

As they always say, finding a job is a full-time job!

I experienced this when I graduated in 2003 and funny as it may seem, the jobs I applied for directly did not respond whereas those that I did not apply for called me?

didy, I think its still wise for you to concentrate fully on your studies rather than spend time and energy on applying jobs which may not be able to wait for you. I started my job search after my exams and hey, there are still plenty of jobs up for grabs!!

Plus I think 2005 is a boom year and more jobs will be created. As a degree holder, I think you are worrying too much!

Comment

Hi just wondering, is it because u're so looking forward to working life, or is it due to circumstances that made u feel the need to secure a job right after u graduate?

When I was going through all these last year, sometimes I can't help feeling a little stressed, not because I desperately need to get a job, but coz friends around me are sending in resumes and going in for interviews even before they graduated. I felt rather envious in the sense that they really knew what they want already, apparently. Me, on the other hand was still going through all the final rigors of school life with projects and assignments, didn't even have the time to start thinking about my career and even coming out with a resume!

So after I graduated, I wasn't in such a rush to land in the rat race. Since this is going to be my "last" holidays after such a hectic final semester, I decided to relax and enjoy for the next 3 months or so before embarking on job search. During this time of rest and relaxation, it was also a good time to reflect what I really want out of life, read through career tips and all. True enough, the job search process wasn't a smooth sailing procss, but at least I was more refreshed and prepared.

didy, maybe it's good to focus on yr exams right now first. After that u can start thinking what to do with your next step in life, after knowing what u really want to do. But of course, being a fresh grad looking for a job is quite tough (sometimes depends on yr degree also), so be prepared to keep an open mind and perhaps some adjustment of current expectations is helpful too.

Comment

thanks girls for your encouragement and support! phew.. now i know i'm not alone. i guuess i'm feeling pressurised in job seeking partly because of peer pressure. after going thru rounds of interview, i almost always get kicked out at the final round. whereas some friends will get an offer at their 1st or 2nd attempt at interviews. plus the fact that school is holding all the career fairs, with big companies coming down and all that.. i guess all those add to the stress.

i have thought through it and am focusing on the exams now. i think you girls are right, i am worrying too much. shall put in my full effort for the finals.. and then go for a 1 month break. its not too late to start my job search again after coming back from my break ya.

Comment

Yup Didy, go & enjoy.. i'm sure your parents won't push you into looking for a job right after exams. Take a break! After all, you will be working for the next 20 years or more in your life. So what's the hurry.. As for me, I graduated last year and am now longing for those post-exams holidays... Shopping, lazing, afternoon coffee treats with galfrens... I remember I finished my final exams in late April and only attended my 1st interview in mid-Jun. I am pressurised by my peers who started work in May as well. It's totally nornal. Now I'm employed and IMO better then my peers who are found a job earlier then I do. So, not to worry.. Best of luck for your final papers!

Comment

the optimist says: you are just on your way to a bigger and better job.

Comment

Reviving this thread....

I'm getting sick of sending resumes and getting no replies or getting myself into fixes like perm job but jobscope not what i really want vs contract job but something i like to do..

urgh.... shall rant more as the job hunt continues!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashlene View Post
                          Reviving this thread....

I'm getting sick of sending resumes and getting no replies or getting myself into fixes like perm job but jobscope not what i really want vs contract job but something i like to do..

urgh.... shall rant more as the job hunt continues!!!
                          Good luck to your job hunt. I also do not like the process of sending resumes and getting rejection letter or no replies. This is also one of the reasons why I still holding on to my job.

I am a bit sick of my current job, though my boss and big boss are super nice people to work with, the job scope is something I do not like. But I still do not dare to take the first step.

Comment

Dun worry so much about it! Just keep on applying and sooner or later, there will be a company that is willing to offer you the job. Good luck! You might want to consider if the contract position can be converted to perm.

Comment

I think most jobs now are contract basis

Any idea how long one should wait for company's response after sending resume?

I read the newspaper that most companies are not freezing the hiring process (yet) but are slowing down instead. It is expected to last till end of the year (and probably more) :\

Comment

Working...
                              X