Preparations for overseas studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparations for overseas studies

Well... i now waiting for Univeristy Of Queenslands letter of acceptance. Quite sure i can get in. But even before i manage to get there, i start worring if i am about to adapt to staying in a foreign country all alone or not.. Will be applying to stay in student hostel, so was thinking if any of the cotters happens to study there or is going to study there so at least i got a friend to turn to or accompany me when i am over there..

There seems to be so much things to be worried about when heading overseas. *sign*...

yes there's lots to worry about it.. i worry too! I'm not going to Oz though..
    All the best! It's best to attend the orientation activities so you can get to know more friends. have you checked with IDP? I think they have pre-departure briefings for the students and you can make some friends there before you go.

Comment

yeah. correct.. I also thinking to go oversea to study. and there are so so soooo many things to consider about. I understand. I am going next year to Aussie land also... I duno what to start with in terms of preparation. can someone help me too?

Comment

the first thing to do i guess is to plan your budget. apply for accomodation. apply for the student visa and also a bank a/c. some banks here may be be able to assist you in setting an a/c. i heard HSBC does that for UK student a/c.
        also maybe learn how to cook too hehe
        i can't cook to save my life last time....now i'm learning and it's so much fun! hehe

Comment

u can apply for overseas bank here ? thought must go aust then can do up all this

Comment

the banks here can assist you.

for my case, i checked with HSBC. They said i can set up a UK student a/c here first. They will process the docs and do all the verifications here. So when i go over, the time to set up one will be much shorter.

But i think maybe it's easier to set up an a/c in australia than in the UK.

Comment

depending which state you are going, NAB (national australia bank) has a branch office here which you can query about setting up a bank account here. i think the representative office is in one of the office tower in Suntec City.

i remembered when i was in brisbane, it took 3 of us 2 hours each to open a student account. Bank drafts / overseas remittance takes them at least a week to clear so make sure when you get there you have enough cash to tide you over first. Australian banks have limited number of transactions you can do over the counter FOC. I believe some of them also limit you on the number of ATM withdrawals you can make. Anything over that number is chargeable for an admin fee. so do some homework first before you decide which bank to use

UQ is not really a city campus like QUT so you may be better off finding lodgings near to the uni than staying in Unilodge in city. saves you some $$ too. i stayed in Toowong at that time, and couple of units had UQ students there too. do note, bus services in australia do not run till late like Singapore. sometimes last buses to further suburbs is around 7.30pm or 8pm?

Comment

if you're looking to rent a place if the hostel application is turned down, St Lucia, Toowong, Indooroopilly are popular suburbs for UQ students to find lodging cos:

1. close to uni
                2. good transport (bus/train)
                3. convenient - supermarkets, food outlets, bank branches nearby

UQ Accommodation is a great place to start hunting.

btw, not sure if they still have this, but UQ had the free shuttle service for female students back to their homes (only in st lucia suburb) if it's late and you don't wanna walk or take the bus.

i had an ANZ account last time. oh, to save on the number of ATM/bank transactions, most shops in australia offer a 'Cash Out' option if you're paying by ATM card. basically that gives you an option to 'withdraw' cash from the shop using your card so you don't have to use the ATM just to do so.
                cost of items = $XX
                cash out = $YY
                total deducted from account when PIN keyed in = $XX + $YY

HTH!

Comment

Thanks alot babes.. this is the first time going aboard without my family so abit worried, although my buddy will be in Brisbane with me but will be in different university + the fact that she will be staying with her brother. I think i would just go set up a bank account when i am there, although i dont know a thing about setting up bank account i think i should be able to get some help when i am there right?

Comment

Originally posted by vixette
                    if you're looking to rent a place if the hostel application is turned down, St Lucia, Toowong, Indooroopilly are popular suburbs for UQ students to find lodging cos:

1. close to uni
                    2. good transport (bus/train)
                    3. convenient - supermarkets, food outlets, bank branches nearby

UQ Accommodation is a great place to start hunting.

btw, not sure if they still have this, but UQ had the free shuttle service for female students back to their homes (only in st lucia suburb) if it's late and you don't wanna walk or take the bus.

i had an ANZ account last time. oh, to save on the number of ATM/bank transactions, most shops in australia offer a 'Cash Out' option if you're paying by ATM card. basically that gives you an option to 'withdraw' cash from the shop using your card so you don't have to use the ATM just to do so.
                    cost of items = $XX
                    cash out = $YY
                    total deducted from account when PIN keyed in = $XX + $YY

HTH!
                    Singapore also start to have this cash out service in supermarkets already..

Comment

universities should have a pre departure meeting of some sort
                      in a lot of cases, unis do provide the neccessary information for international students.
                      so do some homework and check with the uni

opening a bank account isnt difficult, although i must admit the waiting time is a bit long to clear a bank draft.

cash out services has always been around in sg, however i dont think it is that popular!

Comment

can I ask that the bank tingy, we settle ourself or tru IDP or any agencies they will help us?
                        and also we save all the money we need in that aus bank first is it? or bring a cash cheque over to aus then bank in money there?

Comment

i dont quite get what you mean
                          to open a bank account, u have to do it yourself.
                          it is advisable to bring cash together with bank draft as there are limitations of the amount of AUD u can bring into the country, ie AUD10,000.
                          anyway, i wont encourage you to bring too much cash, just enough to last u till ur bank draft cleared

i dont think cash cheque is acceptable, only bank drafts.

"and also we save all the money we need in that aus bank first is it?" - what does this mean?

Comment

Like natnatviv said, you will have to open up a bank account yourself. It's extremely simple, just go into a bank and tell them you want to open a new account. I'm not sure about other banks but with ANZ, they do not charge you any servicing fees if you exceed the amount of transactions in a month if you are a student. You have to make sure to show them your student card every year though (I think in March). You either bring a bank draft over like natnatviv said, or you can just open an account with cash first and get your family in Singapore to TT the money over. It should only take 2 days for the money to clear via TT I think. My dad TT money over to my sister and I monthly from Australia and it only takes half a day to clear coz he also uses ANZ.

Comment

Everyone of you not going to brisbane or not in brisbane right?

Comment

Working...
                              X