Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German, anyone?

Dear all,

I've looked through the threads and saw language school recommendations for French and Jap but not German.

My bf wants to pick up German as it will be useful for his job and I'm taking it with him to motivate him. This way, I can "force" him to attend every class!

Any recommendations? Anywhere except West will be good! Thanks!

Goethe Institute Singapore (goethe.de/ins/sg/sin/lrn/all/enindex.htm) is the most renowned and widely acknowledged place for german language courses.
    Last edited by CozyCot_Rose; 26-07-2011, 07:16 PM. Reason: Referral link is not allowed (subject for account ban if repeated)

Comment

Originally posted by vixette
      Goethe Institute Singapore is the most renowned and widely acknowledged place for german language courses.
      Yeah. I know about *** place and do they also take in beginners? really duno nothing and start from scratch?

how much is their course?

Comment

call them and find out??
        and yes they have courses for all levels.
        price wise i have no idea.

Comment

on the same day i posted the thread, i found out awhile later about the institute online. that evening, i went to the place to enquire and get some brochures. the environment is very good and quiet. they have plenty of study resources too.

the recent class just started on 25th may. the next class will begin on 3 aug, the last term will begin on 12 oct this year. they have german for business and professional purposes too. Each lesson is 3 hrs plus a 15 mins break which makes it 3 hrs & 15 mins. You can opt for once a week or twice a week classes. The general timeslots are:

For once a week: Evening classes: 6.15pm to 9pm OR Saturday classes: 10am to 1.15pm or 2.30pm to 5.45pm.

For twice a week: Mondays and Thursdays 6.15pm to 7.45pm or 8pm to 9.30pm.

They have 6 levels, A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2 - difficulty increases with each level.

In A1 (most basic, for people without ANY knowledge of the language), the courses necessary to complete the level are A1.1, A1.2, A1.3 then you can take the Start Deutsch 1 exam in the last 2 weeks of A1.3. Each course is $390. Note: meaning that to complete level A1, you have to spend $390 x 3. The books are $50. Membership fee per year is $40. Exam fee is $65.

In A2, there's A2.1, A2.2 and A2.3, thereafter you take the Start Deutsch 2 exam also in the last 2 weeks of A2.3. Costs similar to above, minus the yearly membership fee for A2.1 and A2.2 because the max you can squeeze in to save yearly membership fee is to take 5 courses within a year, that is to take them back to back. Meaning that, once you complete A1.1 on 24 May, you begin your A1.2 on 25 May and so on. The terms are scheduled in a way you can take them continuously throughout the year.

At level B1, you have B1.1, B1.2, B1.3 and B1.4. At the end of it, you take the Zertifikat Deutsch exam. This exam is generally accepted as proof of a sound basic knowledge of German, with a vocabulary of approximately 2000 words. The exam fee is now expensive - $85.

At level B2, you have B2.1, B2.2, B2.3 and B2.4. You can take the German for Business certificate if you want. The exam will cost $110. According to the brochure, they left the exam portion blank so I assume that it is not necessary to take examinations for this level.

The next level is C1, with 4 courses too. Here, you'll take the Zentrale Mittelstufenprufung exam which costs $130. The ZMP is widely accepted as proof of proficiency in German for general professional purposes. If you're planning to go to Germany for studies, you'll have to take the TestDaF after level C1 because it serves as a language proficiency assessment for applicants to German universities.

The last level is C2, there are also 4 terms but the programme changes. After this level, you can take either Zentrale Oberstufenprufung or Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam which costs $155 and $270 respectively. Both exams are accepted by German universities as proof of linguistic proficiency for academic studies.

For more information about each certification, refer to the website as given by vixette.

After speaking to the lady at the institute, it appears that most people stop after level B1 or B2. Most people complete C1 if their jobs require them to know German very well. Very expensive! After some rough estimation, it will cost about $7+k to complete A1 to C1 (not including the examination fees yet).

There are few schools that teaches German in such specific levels. Most only teach basic conversational German. I only know of one other school that offers the same kind of teaching (as in the levels) but I forgot the name. The price is about the same, just very slightly cheaper but classes are only 2 hours.

They have super intensive classes too - $420. The holiday programmes for secondary and uni students are also $420, lasts only 2 weeks and runs on a daily basis (Mon to Fri) fr 9am to 12.15pm. The 1st lsson has started on 30 May. The next course will be starting in 21 Nov. Teaching material is $25 compared to the $50 required for other courses.

Oh yes, forgot the mention that they have online courses that you can learn which will qualify you to take the 1st level exam! Check out www.redaktion-d.de then you can take the exam for $90 at the institute.

For others who are interested, you can take a look at BBC Language
          On this website, you can learn a few languages, German, Spanish, French (the basic only of course) for free. They teach you pronunciation too (with your PC sound on). According to the site, after going through all the syllabus for German on their site, you are ready to take the Start Deutsch 1 exam. If you're confident, you can then pay $90 to sit for the exam at the local German Institute.

sorry for the EXTREMELY long post!!!

Comment

reviving this thread..

any other renowned institutes that offer german language classes?

Comment

Working...
            X