Studying in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying in the US

I have been thinking about studying in the US. Wondering if anyone has got any tips on where to go for information or is it all in the net?

Is there a student service help place in Singapore for all the universities in the States with all the listings of the top schools and stuff?

I understand that I have to take the GRE as well. Anyone took it before?? Any tips on how to go abt doing it? I have tried to write a mail to the official GRE website but still got no news.

Do share if you have any info. Many Thanks in advance!

isn't the GRE only for graduate students?
    thought for undergrad studies you need SATS instead.

anyhow, a simple google search revealed these results....

US Education Information Center

United States Education Information Center (USEIC)

Our doors and our educational institutions remain open to all qualified students from around the world. The United States is proud of an educational system that attracts more than a half million international students and scholars to our campuses. Concerned that fear and misinformation may discourage some from seeking educational opportunities here, many U.S. university presidents have spoken out against intolerance and stressed that college and university campuses continue to welcome students from abroad. President Bush underscored our country's welcome in November when he said, 'we "encourage international students to take part in our educational system...the relationships that are formed between individuals from different countries, as part of international education programs and exchanges...foster goodwill that develops into vibrant, mutually beneficial partnerships among nations.' "

The Office of Public Affairs, Singapore, works under a partnership with the Center for American Education (CAE), which manages the U.S. Education Information Center (USEIC). The USEIC provides comprehensive, up-to-date, and impartial information on all U.S. universities and colleges.

The U.S. Education Information Center (USEIC) is now located at:

12 Prince Edward Road
    #01-03 Podium A, Bestway Building
    Singapore 079212
    Tel: 6226-6996
    Fax: 6223-4533
    Email: [email protected]
    Internet: http://useic.org

another poss useful site:
    EducationUSA

Comment

Thanks very much Vixette!

Was only looking at the uni websites to see if they had any links to Singapore organizations here and could not find any.

Am thinking of going for grad studies actually.. So, the GRE is what I am going to take. Not studied for it yet though.

Comment

have you checked out the thread on Postgrad/Further studies?

might be some info on US postgrad courses in there.

Comment

This page is rather good (Yahoo! page) for basic information:

http://education.yahoo.com/college/e...school_search/

Comment

Thanks all for the guide..sort of decided which unis to apply to already.

Are any of you studying in the States? Do tell.

Comment

I will be going to the states this fall for further studies. If anyone is studying there, I would like to know how is the study experience so far and if you are enjoying it!

Please let us know. Many thanks!

Comment

just bringing back the old thread..

i wanted to study fashion in states but there are alot of results from the search.

As for i know, FIT (fashion institute of technology) is quite recognised, Parson College, FDIM and etc. These schools are expensive. They are located in NYC which i assumed that they have a higher living expenses.

I didnt want to spend a few thousand on the rental itself. I am looking on the aspect of a average college in a nice town and lower living expenses with less hectic lifestyle.

Comment

unfortunately, if you want to study fashion in the states, NYC is the place to go.

Comment

I'm currently studying at FIT and I love it here. It's true that the living expenses are higher but the tuition fee at FIT is so much cheaper than most colleges in the US, since it is a state school, that I don't mind the high living expenses. Parson is definitely very expensive as it is a private school. By the way, FIDM is in Los Angeles not New York. FIDM also has a smaller campus in San Francisco.
                    Hope this helps!

Comment

How's life in FIT? is the overall very stressful? Is it difficult to get in? I dont have any diploma in Fashion so i wonder is it possible to get into the school.

Comment

Well, it actually depends on your major. I'm majoring in Fashion Merchandising and I can say it is less stressful than the design majors, whether it's fashion design, communication design and so on. You don't need a diploma to get in. Most of the students here are fresh graduates from high school. It can be hard to get in cause I am only admitted the second time I applied. The first time I applied they put me in the waiting list and afterwards said that they were full for that year so I re-applied for the next academic year and I got in. Overall I like FIT, it's a small school compared to the other colleges so I feel more involved.

Comment

Doesnt the american treats us differently (or bias)? roughly, how much have you spend in states (include school fee and living expenses??

Comment

Originally posted by jos_12003 View Post
                            I'm currently studying at FIT and I love it here. It's true that the living expenses are higher but the tuition fee at FIT is so much cheaper than most colleges in the US, since it is a state school, that I don't mind the high living expenses. Parson is definitely very expensive as it is a private school. By the way, FIDM is in Los Angeles not New York. FIDM also has a smaller campus in San Francisco.
                            Hope this helps!
                            hi, can give a breakdown on the living expenses in New York? i'm completing my bachelor studies in australia and planning to move to FIT for the Master in Exhibition Design. Not really keen on this course but it's the only Master course I'm interested in. Doubt I want to do an associate degree or yet another bachelor degree.

any idea what's the procedures and chances of staying on in New York to work after graduation? i'm now considering options to remain to work in australia but would like to move to other parts of the world cos i've stayed too long in australia already. need a change of environment.

tia

Comment

Originally posted by shanqi View Post
                              Doesnt the american treats us differently (or bias)? roughly, how much have you spend in states (include school fee and living expenses??
                              hmmm...what do you mean by the americans treat us differently?
                              Well, the tuition and all the other fees per semester total up to less than $6,000. I'm currently living in the dorm and the room costs about $3500 per semester and since I signed up for meal plans at the cafetaria, it costs me another $1300-$1400. So I spend about $10,000-$11,000 per semester. This does not include textbooks and your phone bills. Textbooks can be pretty expensive, about $300-$400 per semester. If you are majoring in fashion design, you'll have to spend more on fabrics for your projects and assignments.

Comment

Working...
                              X