No announcement yet.

Testimonials when leaving-all about it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testimonials when leaving-all about it!

i m leaving my job in a month's time n am wondering whether i should get my boss to write me a testimonial.

is it really important to have one for my future jobs? also, should i ask my lab head or my scietific officer whom i report to directly??

pls help, thanx!

My boss is leaving soon and i've been with him for the past 1.5 years. I *think* that i've gained much exposure from this job and he has also once given me monetary rewards for my good performance. Do you think I should ask him to write a testimonial for me? since this is my 1st job after i graduate and my stepping stone to continue in this line.......However, in superior point of view, what i've achieved might not be anything so GREAT/COMMENDABLE. However, I think i've performed relatively well in my current job whilst with him for 1.5yrs. I also need this testimonial because I've made a career swtich. I did not graduate with relevant knowledge required for this job. Hence, i think this testimonial matters alot to me in my next job hunt.

What do you girls think?????? or is it very "kia-su"? By the way, does potential employers look at your testimonial? Do you reflect your special rewards in your resume etc etc?

Comment

cUp, there's no harm in asking, for the reasons you've stated & especially if you have performed well & have a good working relationship with your boss. Well, your future employers may / may not necessarily request for it. Some may base their hiring decisions on the interview instead of references, but sometimes during the interview, they'll ask about your job performance, attitude, so it would be good if you have something to back up what you claim.

If you think your boss is too busy to prepare a testimonial for you, you can offer to prepare a draft copy for him to edit (which some bosses will ask their staff to do). Alternatively, if you've copies of performance appraisals, keep them as backup.

For myself, I did not get a testimonial when I left my previous company. I left with a job offer, so was not very concerned about my immediate employment future. Also, I did not really have a manager that I worked very closely with as I worked on "assignment-basis". But since your boss is leaving, I recommend that you get a testimonial if he's most familiar with your job scope & responsiblities. If for some reason, you wish to quit shortly after this, your supervisor then may not necessarily be able to write a fair testimonial given that you didn't work for him/her for long.

What do you mean by "special rewards"? Once-off awards for excelling in ad-hoc projects? Perhaps you can state it as one of your achievements (as in what you have actually excelled, and not just only the monetary reward)

Hope that my long-winded reply is useful!

Comment

Thank you ANN!! it is indeed very useful!! Thanks for the advice you've provided.....

Ya I have a close working relationship with my boss and I think I won't be staying on in the CO for too long. Afterall, it is just a stepping stone. My job scope changes as slowly i talked to my manager about it. So my "title" does not depit what i actually do in the job. Hmm...i think i should really request a testimonial from him..THANKS!!

Comment

I've been put in a position where I had to interview people for vacanies in my company before and my on the matter:

What I would rank as most important when I first look at a resume would be the technical skills and relevant experience. Resumes that don't meet this criteria are immediately put aside. Then when the candidates turn up for an interview, I look at (1) whether they know what they're talking about (2) communication skills and how they present themselves (3) work attitude (e.g. Are they independent workers? Do they take initiative? Are they abrasive?) and (4) whether they would fit into the company culture (they won't last long if this criteria isn't met, so I'd have to do another round of recruitment, which I don't want to).

It's only when I'm uncertain about points 3 & 4 that a testimonial would come in handy. And frankly, points 1 & 2 are more important.

A testimonial is always nice to have. But don't fret about it if you don't get one, because it isn't essential. Best of luck in your job search!

Comment

Thank you Maven.

Is an appraisal suffice? or do i need testimonial? haaha or both'll be better?

I've had an appraisal recently, however it does not cover the extra job scope that i'm currently doing, as in, it is very brief.....

Comment

Appraisals are for internal use... when you switch departments, when your boss changes, or when they?re assessing you for bonus/promotion. Testimonials are more relevant for applying for other jobs.

It'll also be good to list down all your responsibilities in your resume. But I think how you perform during the interview is as important, if not more, as what is stated in paper. So when you get called up for one, prepare for what you will say. You should expect to be tested on technical/industrial knowledge, or be asked to give examples to showcase certain traits you have. Whenever possible, highlight situations in which you have performed over and above what was expected of you. And remember to be relaxed, smile, maintain good eye contact and speak slowly and clearly. Nervousness or fear can sometimes be seen as lack of confidence or knowledge in what you?re saying.

Best of luck for you job search cup!

Comment

Maven thanks for the tips! I do know that how we perform in interviews is alot more than what we write on the papers (resume) itself. hehe...I just hope to get a testimonial to backup what i've said and prove that i do have the relevant experience..thanks again maven!!

Comment

Working...
                X