Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Work

Dear all,
    Anyone in the social work industry? Can anyone give me some insights as to what social workers really do? From what i know they do house visits etc. Since I am new to this line, I was told that I may be attached to polyclinics to learn...
    Is it a fulfiling job to those of you who are already in this job?? Anyone with any information at all about social work, Please tell me ok???
    Last edited by kittysandy; 08-09-2005, 11:02 AM.

Hi kittysandy,

think u have posted this in the wrong section of the forum.
    U could go to cozycafe/ cozycareer to look see..
    This section is for make ups..

Have fun browsing!

Comment

So how do i repost it???

Comment

u cant repost...
        Think u have got to wait for the moderaters to see it and they will move it to the appropriate sections.
        Meanwhile u could do a search on ur area of interest and maybe u can find something that u are looking for.

Comment

Social Work

Dear all,
          Anyone in the social work industry? Can anyone give me some insights as to what social workers really do? From what i know they do house visits etc. Since I am new to this line, I was told that I may be attached to polyclinics to learn...
          Is it a fulfiling job to those of you who are already in this job?? Anyone with any information at all about social work, Please tell me ok???

Comment

what kind of social work are you looking for? what kind of group do you want to help? aged? children? sick? there are a lot of categories. for a start, can try old age home or orphanage or just by giving toys or spending some time at the ren ci hospital or at KK hospital.

Comment

Hmmm That's a good idea.. I dun think the aged really appeal to me... I may like to work with children, or do familly counselling etc. Are you in this industry??

Comment

A colleague of mine worked as a social worker before. Be prepared for long working hours, high level of stress and low pay. However, it's a very fulfilling job.

Comment

hi there,
                  Not exactly in a good position to share very much about experiences but i will be graduating as a social worker end of this year after my attachment @ a children's home starting next week.
                  Roles of a social worker is pretty wide & it depends very much on the agency's definition of roles. It ranges from working with the individual & family (counselling), Groupwork with a group of clients who are facing same issues, program planning, community work, awareness/campaigns, volunteer management, advocacy...the list goes on depending on your area of interest.
                  Would agree that one of the only reward of this profession would be fulfillment at seeing your client working through their problems by themselves after you've worked with them for a short period. Self care in this line is very very important to prevent burn out.
                  Might have talked too much here but that is because I am really looking forward to my attachment & graduation!

Comment

hi kittysandy,

Sorry, i am not sure what is the exact scope like...but i guess, they will be people around to guide you?

Comment

Thats actually what im interested in. But i dont have much of a clue as to how to go about it and what i should be studying.

Im currently studying business admin In PSB a private sch for my diploma. Its my first yr. I want to do more like a counsellor being someone who would be able to help kids and teenagers deal with their problems more like a mentor and someone to whom they can turn to when in need.

Im not sure how my course is gonna be related to it. Im currently 18.. im still very unsure about what i want to do in life and which career path i would enjoy. How did you girls choose ur career path? Did you regret it?

Comment

Sometimes, it may take a while before you really know what you want to get into. It's good that at the moment you have some idea of what you like to do. What I can suggest is for you to write down on a piece of paper the jobs that you like to do, and the jobs that you don't like to do. After writing them down the ideas may be clearer for you. I have found some information with regards to counselling courses. You can go to this school call Executive Counselling and Training Academy (ECTA) they provide basic counselling courses as well as graduate diploma courses in counselling. If you think u are interested in the counselling area, do take up their basic course in counselling as it provides you with quite a good idea of what counselling is about. It's only 3 months course (once a week night only), so at the end of it, you will know if you like it or not. Hope this info helps

Comment

Thanks Kitty =)) I'll go check it out... So ur interested in social work as well? Will you be taking up and courses?

Comment

I took quite some time to do a bit of research on the different schools, and I have choosen ECTA. I am currrently taking the basic in counselling, and i have enjoyed every single lesson.. I will be continuting on to the next stage. I was just like you... i was interested in counselling, but didn't know quite what else to do, so i tried the basics first, and now i am hooked on to it In fact, I have also been looking for jobs in the social work area. You know, the pay in this industry isn't very fantastic at all for beginnings like us. So we must learn how to take a lower salary to begin with...

Comment

I do not mind taking up the course cause now im 18 and my mum still sponsors me for my studies and stuff. Yeah thats what i was thinking also.. about the salary and stuff... and job prospects in future. Do you happen to have the web for that school? Any idea what the min requirements are? Im currently taking my course so in case i dont think i enjoy counselling then i guess i can fall back on my BA cert. Im rather confused..

Comment

Working...
                              X