Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Resign?

Dear Cotters,
    I am currently going through a very tough time as a receptionist in this currently place. The people are have no respect for me nor the others like the housekeepers or the cleaners, or drivers. The female boss likes to shout at people and demand unreasonable things. I also do not like the fact that she terminated a staff once they know that she is pregnant. There are many instances of unreasonable behaviour in my office. I am always ordered around to do things. When I am unsure and I ask a few more questions to clarify what I am suppose to do, they will start to get very impatient and the way they look at me is as if I am stupid or something
    As I am being brought into the company by the recruitment agency, I am unable to just leave like that.. I have to stay here at least for 2 months otherwise I must compensate the agency.
    The worst thing is that i am the only recept out here, so it's really hard for me to even go toilet or just simply get a drink.. I must get someone to come out for a while before I can leave. They are always so reluctant to come out just for a while, as if i am very troublesome
    What do you cotters think?? I really need your advise

edited..........
    Last edited by Joycelyn; 30-08-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Many Thanks Joycelyn for your encouragement and support.. I suppose you are right, I dun have to take all these nonsense.. But no matter what, I will still have to tahan for another 2 weeks, if not I have to compensate the agency... I do have commitments, but I guess it wil still be alright, if i do not have a job for the time being It's really horrible in here. Besides I have to come back EVERY saturday, wasting my time here. There are practically no calls and nothing for me to do.

Comment

edited..........
        Last edited by Joycelyn; 30-08-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

dear girl

Only 2more weeks to go. hang in there!
          Just act blur if the people shout at you again. all the best

Comment

----- deleted post --------
            Last edited by summerain; 17-02-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phinecyz

Then the worst thing happened. I was covering duties for my colleague when a staff from sales dept passed me a parcel asking ** to pass to a guest who will drop by and mentioned NOT TO PASS IT BACK. I was busy answering calls and came my colleague who took away the parcel to return to the lady. Next time i know was, the lady coming back to me with the parcel and hit me on my head, right in front of a customer! I was on the verge of tearing.
              Huh?! How come this lady is so unreasonable?! I mean, even if you're mad at someone for whatever reasons, you still shouldn't hit anyone! Gee, this lady really oughta be

. Same as you, i was recommended by a recruitment agency. Before i start my job, she warned me to be firm and not to be pushed around. Now i know what she is trying to say. Sad to say, i started to avoid agents coz i got this feeling that they are trying to complete their target so they just simply fill anyone in the post.
              Yup, for my 1st job out of poly, was also recommended by an agency in Jurong East. Agent lady got a job for me and I signed a contract for a minimum of 3 mths. 1st time at agency, then I realised that this contract wasn't the norm...so you could say I a bit p-offed coz she kinda lied to me. So for the next 3 months, I had to reject all perm job offers coz I cannot break the contract.

And the agent lady didn't specify whether I was temp or temp-perm. So when I anyhow told the company that I was temp-perm, the agent quickly phoned me and told me in an annoyed attitude that "you are only a temp, okie. NOT temp-perm". And then when one of the temp-perm girls quit after barely 2 weeks, this agent phoned me nicely and told, "eh got vacancy for temp-perm. You want or not?" I told her "thank you very much. After 3 months, I am outta here". And of course, deep inside, I am cursing & swearing at her. And that's why, up to now, I hate going to agencies for jobs...as if they are pimps & I am their (cheap) prostitute. Sounds crude but befitting analogy, right?

Comment

Last edited by summerain; 17-02-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Hey gals! Right now at this moment I swear i will NEVER use recruitment agency to find me a job anymore. I have really learned my lesson.
                  Phinecyz: I feel the same way as you do, you know, these recruitment agencies are more keen to earn the commssion then to really find us a good job. And most times they dun really tell you the truth about the company even if they know,otherwise we will not accept the job. I think it's quite pointless to force us to sign the agreement and make us stay stuck in a place we dun like for 2 months, and in the end, we will leave the company anyway, and then they have to find someone else to replace. I really have a very bad impression of recruitment agencies regardless of big ones or smaller ones.. They all out to earn the commission. The worst thing is that we poor people have to still compensate them if we can't tahan in the environment and have to leave.. They just keep earning

Comment

I don't know if the jobstreets, monsters, jobsdb etc are recruitment agencies or not. But what i do is to register, use their job search functions, get the contacts (must at least know which firm is hiring and how to reach them) and apply to them on my own.

Which explains why I'm still in my 1k-per-month-full time-job-with -very-very-long hours :p

hey gals,don't give up ok

Comment

Last edited by summerain; 17-02-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

sigh...
                        i am in the same predicament..
                        work into the wee hours of the morning and stil have to tolerate my boss outburst!..
                        everyday i live in fear of my boss having one of his bad days again and we, the staff, will be his punching bag...
                        sometimes i just wonder what in the world am i slogging my life for....
                        there are better ways for me to live my life than to work 20 hours a day!...
                        i told myself that whether i have a job or not..
                        i will quit by october 2005..
                        there is a limit to how much torture i can tolerate...
                        if this continues.. think i'm gonna have a mental breakdown....
                        and to think i have been in this job for only 4 months!!!!

i still believe that if you are not happy with your job... quit..
                        your mood will affect your well being, both your physical health and mental health..
                        not to mention the strain it puts on your relations with your love ones....
                        is it worth to sacrifice your family and social live for the sake of money...
                        but then guess other factors would come in especially if there are financial commitments to fulfill or families to support........

anyway... good luck to all of us!

Comment

Jobstreet, monsters, jobdbs is a webby that allow recruitment agencies to post their jobs and for us to search. I could say 90% are agencies, the rest is by the employer themselves. Looking for jobs through agencies has its pros and cons. They have big companies as their clients, thus if we take up the offer, there's medical/dental, transport, OT, advancement benefits and such. But im always stepping in some rude agencies. There's one in bugis area i really hate to the core.

I was trying to apply a post of recruiter. They gave a test that seemed so stupid. While i was doing the test, i couldnt help but feel that they seemed to think only VERY SMART people can get into the job. Then came the interview, the interviewer gave me this you-cant-make-it for the job look and saying things that make me felt so inferior and stressing me that i cant do it. Finally, i stopped the interview since i thought even if i keep insisting to get into it, i wont be happy working under that arrogant lady. After the lady left the room, she mentioned that her subordinate will offer me job, so i stayed. Came this guy who kept pushing me to some job vacanies that are so unsuitable for me. Imagine im staying in the east, he recommended a job that's at the west. On top of that, he recommended me this job: a HR cum uniform packer. Must pack and distribute uniforms to workers and do/collect their pass card to the company when they leave the company. I was like...?!?!??!

I dont wish to give up but at times i have no idea what i can work as. The first experience already "killed" my job hopes. It seemed that im always the unlucky one to bump into companies that does'nt support or treat newbies well. My friends have nice colleagues, nice job, nice pay, nice environment and they are able to stay so long. But for me, the first job only lasted 2 months. My current job have no benefits, wide jobscope, weird working hours (thus depriving me of social life), cant take leave, only able to clear leave in school holidays, don't take MC frequently and only fixed pay though i have to OT frequently. Frankly speaking, there isnt job advancement i can see in my current job. But i cant quit coz i need to build up my portfolio.

Im always hoping luck can be by my side one fine day. Any ideas what interesting jobs are there? Or recommendation?

Kolya, how old are you? Is yours a full time job? Let's pray everyday that our luck can be better!!!
                          If you are unsure of what you want, i would like to suggest that you take piece of paper and write down what jobs you may like to do in one column and on the other column what jobs you dislike. After you write them down, it may give you a better and clearer idea of what jobs may be possible for you, then you can go ahead and explore them. It would also be a good idea to talk to people who are already in that industry to get a better idea of what the job is all about, so you dun jump into somthing that you may regret later. Also, I have the same thoughts as you now, I dislike going to agency after what has happend to me recently, and I would rather go direct to the employers. Anyway, do not give up, coz there are plenty of jobs out there, and i am sure you will find something that you love.

Comment

Originally posted by whitefrost
                            sigh...
                            i am in the same predicament..
                            work into the wee hours of the morning and stil have to tolerate my boss outburst!..
                            everyday i live in fear of my boss having one of his bad days again and we, the staff, will be his punching bag...
                            sometimes i just wonder what in the world am i slogging my life for....
                            there are better ways for me to live my life than to work 20 hours a day!...
                            i told myself that whether i have a job or not..
                            i will quit by october 2005..
                            there is a limit to how much torture i can tolerate...
                            if this continues.. think i'm gonna have a mental breakdown....
                            and to think i have been in this job for only 4 months!!!!

i still believe that if you are not happy with your job... quit..
                            your mood will affect your well being, both your physical health and mental health..
                            not to mention the strain it puts on your relations with your love ones....
                            is it worth to sacrifice your family and social live for the sake of money...
                            but then guess other factors would come in especially if there are financial commitments to fulfill or families to support........

anyway... good luck to all of us!
                            Hey there, sounds like you are just as unhappy as me right now.. My last day with this terrible place will be next week on Friday I can't wait to tender my resignation. I do agree with you that if you are unhappy in a place, especially if they are all treating you bad, and you are living in a time bomb, it's definitely unhealthy for one's well-being.. Nobody should be treated like that. So Whitefrost, I support you, do tender and get yourself a better job in a better environment

Comment

Last edited by summerain; 17-02-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X