Any cotter, a toastmaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cotter, a toastmaster?

Should I put this under School or Hobby actually?

Any cotter belongs to any Toastmaster club? I am thinking of joining SpeechCraft and later toastmaster club.

I realised alot places have their own TM meeting. Very confusing Hope some cotter belong to a some TM and share with me more about TM.

pardon me, what's toastmaster?

Comment

Its something like a club for public speaking so members come together to make speech.
      http://www.toastmasters.org/

Comment

well i'm not a toastmaster but i belonged to their youth section last time (their club for <18 year olds) & attended a few of the TM meetings. i'm not really sure what you want to know about TM clubs so i'll just give a general overview. =)

basically there are many TM clubs in singapore, you can choose to join any club you wish, some choose the nearest one to them for practicality 'cos it's convenient to travel to the club. some choose based on the atmosphere of the club, e.g. some clubs consist of mainly older people so you may not click so well with them. some clubs may comprise of mainly newbies so if you're new you may rather join such younger clubs 'cos you all will learn & progress at the same pace. it's impt for you to feel comfortable or you won't enjoy yourself & this will affect your learning experience.

most clubs meet 1x every fortnight, some meet 1x every month, it all depends. each TM session lasts about 2 hours. IIRC, it starts off with a welcome speech usually by the club president followed by a table topics session. table topics are impromptu speeches. there's a table topics master who runs the session, he/she will have prepared several topics. they could be proverbs, one-liners or simple questions like "what's your favourite food". 5 people will then have to either volunteer themselves or get picked to speak on 1 topic for betwen 1 - 2 minutes. there'll be a timekeeper & you have to speak for more than 1 minute & less than 2 minutes. the purpose is to encourage you to think on your feet & be able to deliver impromptu speeches 'cos you've to speak once you receive your topic, there's no time to prepare. you're strongly encouraged to volunteer for table topics sessions rather than get picked & most times, people who attend TM are very enthusiastic & will volunteer.

after the table topics session comes the prepared speeches. 3 - 4 members would have prepared in advance their speeches ranging from btw 5 - 7 minutes. the topic of the speech would vary depending on your grade/level. the most basic "badge" is a requirement of 10 speeches and you can volunteer do speak at every session so you'll complete your badge in 20 weeks. but this is generally not advisable 'cos you can't possibly improve so fast, it takes time to build up your confidence. each speaker have an evaluator assigned to them. this evaluator is someone more senior who will give you feedback based on the content of your speech, any mannerisms, your bad speaking habits etc. it's constructive feedback that's meant to help you improve yourself. you'll get the feedback sheet so that you know what you can work on & hopefully you'll get better each time you give a speech.

the evaluators only give their feedback after all the speakers are done. i think each evaluator is given 2 - 3 minutes each. even they have to go to the front of the room to give their feedback. i think there's an overall language evaluator as well whose "job" is to note everybody's lanugage & correct grammer, pronounciation, etc. kinda like an english teacher. i never dared to volunteer to be a language evaluator 'cos usually you've to be very strong in the eng language. =P

at the end of each session, there's a vote for the best table topics speaker, best prepared speech speaker & best evaluator. the votes are secret, you scribble the names of your nominees on a piece of paper & the votes are counted after which ribbons are given out. depending on the club, the ribbons could be gorgeously printed on proper ribbons or certs or just simple paper bookmarks depicting the category you won. the ribbons are meant as encouragement & most people keep them as a record of how well they've done.

in a nutshell, that's what each TM session is like. you can give speeches at other clubs as well to network, check out what other clubs are like & it's good experience 'cos always speaking at your own club can be boring & speaking in front of fresh audiences is a way of boosting your confidence & stage presence. when you're confident enough, you can take part in speech compeitions.

generally i think TM is a great way of improving your level of english as well as your speaking skills. i don't consider myself an excellent speaker but i've been told that i speak very well & i credit much of it to TM 'cos i've corrected most of my bad speaking habits after being with TM for 2 years. most bad habits are simple things like saying pause fillers "erm, ah", appearing unconfident/uneasy in front of a crowd, not enunciating/pronouncing well, droning, not pausing at the right times, having boring content, not being able to engage your audience etc. most people have such bad habits & it just takes practice and effort to correct them.

i had fun in my 2 years though i never finished my 10 speeches to get my badge. =P don't be afraid to volunteer to be an evaluator or table topics master though even if you're a newbie, it's fun & it's another form of speech training as well. in fact the entire TM exprience is meant to expose you to all methods of public speaking. don't be pressured to get your badge as well, volunteer to be the next person to give a speech as & when you feel comfortable & confident enough. TM members are very supportive & encouraging people who won't laugh at your mistakes 'cos everybody started out badly & everyone is there to learn no matter how senior they are. there are many levels & i've met TM who are really really senior having been there for like a decade or more.

i would suggest you contact a club to ask to attend as a guest. if you don't like the place, go visit other clubs then decide if there's any you like to join. it's really an enrichment activity, no pressure. =) sorry for the lengthy post, hope this helps!

Comment

i think the the below description would help. i took it off http://www.toastmasters.org.sg/site/

A Toastmasters Club exists to provide exciting speaking opportunities for its members.

People join Toastmasters to overcome their fear or nervousness of speaking in front of people and to develop their presentation skills. The club's meetings provide a friendly environment where members can develop and practice their speaking skills before a live audience and be constructively evaluated on their efforts.

Members also have great opportunities to practice impromptu speaking and leadership skills. Only by actually speaking before and interacting with a live audience, again and again over time, can members lose their fear and develop their confidence.

Several factors contribute to a successful speech: content, organization and presentation.

These three factors are interrelated, and all are equally important. A speech may be well-written and organized effectively, but if it is not well-presented, the message is lost. Likewise, a speech may be well-presented, but if the content offers little substance or if the organization is weak, the audience will be left confused and unsatisfied.

All the skills that contribute to a successful speech can be acquired in a Toastmasters club.

Comment

wow thanks gal for e details!

I signed up for speechcraft organised by SDU TM =) missed the NUS one (much cheaper!).

Comment

no prob. hope you enjoy yourself! =)

Comment

Looks like this thread is almost dead...

Anyway, I have just joined Cheng San Toastmaster Club early this year. Its a great environment to learn and grow.

I believe communication skill is very important is every aspect of our life, be it at work, in school or at home with family members.

So..... anymore cotters out there who are toastmasters?

Comment

Im interested to join Toastmaster club to improve my speech. Anywhere to reccommend? Is YMCA reccommended?

Comment

i am very keen in toadmaster too

but have yet to pluck up the courage to join one

will do so one of these days

Comment

is there any TM clubs that are for newbies?

I used to think it was some debating club or sth.. but after I read vonvonne's explanation, I think it's very useful for enriching oneself!

Comment

Working...
                      X