Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANU or UQ?

Hi there,

I'm a diploma in IT graduate. I''ll be taking bachelor of commerce and I've gotten both offers from ANU and UQ.

As for UQ, I'll be given an advance standing of 2years... whereas for ANU, there will not be any exemptions. ANU is a more prestigious school but 3years is a somewhat too long. I'm new to commerce so UQ exemptions seems to be a little too good to be true to me.

Can anybody advise me on it?

you have to consider the cost? the standard of living in Canbbera will be lower compared to Queensland, I knew for my field (biology related), my profs recommended ANU. So you should do abit of research and see which uni is stronger for IT?

I would think the exemption is important though =) in terms of time and costs. Gd luckz!

Comment

I have checked the Times Higher Education Supplement which ranks all the unis..and ANU is really high up in the rankings.. higher than NUS even..if i am not wrong. I think you can check it out by googling Times Higher Education Supplement. there is a 14 day free trial in which you can access which unis are good for what things..

I have not been to both unis though.. so cannot say much..

Comment

The job prospects probably wouldn't be significantly different. In terms of cost I'd go for UQ, in terms of achievement and personal fulfillment (which doesn't really mean much these days), ANU. Ultimately you come out with equal standing in the employment field. Time is money. In the current economic climate, UQ is a better choice - in case you decide to do another degree when the market changes, you are still 2 years ahead. That's enough to do almost another degree.

Comment

Actually I wouldn't place much emphasis on the rankings. Schools like Deakin aren't ranked but they are really well-known in the accounting world for their accounting programs.

UQ and ANU both have their strengths. My friend went to QUT to do IT, which is not a Go8 uni; neither does it appear in rankings very often. But after graduatation, he secured a job with Cisco Systems and they actually sent him to US for 2 years. Cisco Systems tied with with EDB for this 'promotion'. So imho, if EDB and Cisco recognise QUT, my guess is both ANU and UQ should be good.

Choose the school that you feel most comfortable with. Don't ever go for the 'brand name'. I did that when I was choosing my schools and regretted big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cache
            Hi there,

I'm a diploma in IT graduate. I''ll be taking bachelor of commerce and I've gotten both offers from ANU and UQ.

As for UQ, I'll be given an advance standing of 2years... whereas for ANU, there will not be any exemptions. ANU is a more prestigious school but 3years is a somewhat too long. I'm new to commerce so UQ exemptions seems to be a little too good to be true to me.

Can anybody advise me on it?
            hey just asking.. what major in commerce would u be doing in UQ ?
            cos i'm currently doing a diploma in business application, which is like half IT and half business.. and i'm looking to do a commerce degree majoring in accounting in UQ too.. but wondering if i would get any exemptions.

Comment

Hi aphrael and linggy,

Yeah. I've decided on UQ in term of costs and time. In fact, you're right. I can take another degree or even a masters given the year. Unfortunately, it was a fast alarm. IDP actually called me a few days ago and told me I had a one year exemption for UQ. However, I received my offer letter and it stated 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by zjaninez
                Actually I wouldn't place much emphasis on the rankings. Schools like Deakin aren't ranked but they are really well-known in the accounting world for their accounting programs.

UQ and ANU both have their strengths. My friend went to QUT to do IT, which is not a Go8 uni; neither does it appear in rankings very often. But after graduatation, he secured a job with Cisco Systems and they actually sent him to US for 2 years. Cisco Systems tied with with EDB for this 'promotion'. So imho, if EDB and Cisco recognise QUT, my guess is both ANU and UQ should be good.

Choose the school that you feel most comfortable with. Don't ever go for the 'brand name'. I did that when I was choosing my schools and regretted big time.
                I get what you're trying to tell me. I'm still torn between ANU and UQ. Firstly, I'm afraid that I couldn't cope with my studies in both schools. And from what I know UQ Ipswich doesn't provide any on campus accommodation. Which is another major problem for me..

Comment

Originally posted by friedworms
                  hey just asking.. what major in commerce would u be doing in UQ ?
                  cos i'm currently doing a diploma in business application, which is like half IT and half business.. and i'm looking to do a commerce degree majoring in accounting in UQ too.. but wondering if i would get any exemptions.
                  Hi friedworms,

I'll be doing event management or marketing. I guess you'll get more exemptions than me because I do not have any business background at all. If I'm correct, you?ll probably get about 1 to 2 semesters of exemptions at the most.

Shine, I've checked the rankings! I guess they're equally good. Afterall, UQ is from the go8...

Comment

Working...
                  X