The Wedding Banquet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wedding Banquet

Is anyone going to watch this?? I'm thinking of catching it this weekend, but I'm not sure. It isnt my "die-die-have-to-watch" kind of musical, but I guess here in sg we have to grab what we can! :note:
    Has anyone head any raves/rants about this? Do share!

Mich and SV where are you? Reviews please

I am catching this weekend. Read the reviews and it was not that good

Comment

Yep, not catching it due to bad reviews

Catching Tokyo Philharmonic tonight!

Comment

Heard from colleagues that props are simple and songs are little.

Comment

Reviews not that great huh? Hmmm..might give up my tickets to my friends who wanted to get the tickets this weekend then... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by meow123
            Reviews not that great huh? Hmmm..might give up my tickets to my friends who wanted to get the tickets this weekend then... :roll:
            Well.....if you have seen Singing in the Rain and Oliver, you might feel that Wedding Banquet is bland. But if this is your first musical (which I know it's not) maybe it's ok.

Might be watching on coming Sun afternoon.

Comment

personally, i thought it was very entertaining. i was laughing non-stop throughout the whole show.

you definitely can't compare to it les mis, phantom and cats. the wedding banquet won't tug at your heartstrings but it'll give you plenty of laughs.

the leads are all very good-looking. had a good time drooling over the cute caucasian male who's supposed to be a gay in the show.

the props no doubt simple but were used to good effect. i like the backdrop. clever use of images.

the cast is very small so you'll see the same people over and over, cast in different roles. not a major grouse with me.

all in all, i think it's entertaining and a must-see.

meow, i think it would be a pity to give up your tickets.

and SV's review:

The cast acted well, chemistry was there. Good team show. Cheeky gay jokes, old but still funny for me, the cheeky gay people, and cheeky me. Was very entertaining for me!

I liked the plot. I could relate to it on a personal level, a good friend of mine being in a similar position. Family acceptance and support are very important things. the world can forsake you but it is alright as long as you still have your family's love.

The SO is making strange noises now.

Comment

Originally posted by michannat
                The SO is making strange noises now.
                coz a certain fella took nearly half an hour to write the two paragraphs of review!

well, he said that he liked it too. in fact, both of us were laughing out loud. the story is rather predictable. but nevertheless, enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by stressed
                  Well.....if you have seen Singing in the Rain and Oliver, you might feel that Wedding Banquet is bland. But if this is your first musical (which I know it's not) maybe it's ok.

Might be watching on coming Sun afternoon.
                  Yeap this is not my first musicals. I am a fan of musicals and have lost count of how many I had watched...

hmmm...I am still thinking whether to give up the tickets. Will make the decision tomorrow..

Comment

coz a certain fella took nearly half an hour to write the two paragraphs of review!

well, he said that he liked it too. in fact, both of us were laughing out loud. the story is rather predictable. but nevertheless, enjoyable.
                    MIch thanks... just read your reviews and it sounds great.....At the moment, simple story lines is right up my alley..Can't take serious stuff now....I am glad you like it because a number of the reviews I read are not that great...But I trust your taste and SV's too

Will definitely go if I can...got a busy weekend..need to work and I was thinking of resting at home if this is not great. Will see how my schedule goes..

Thanks SV for the fabulous two SHORT paras of review.... Well enough to make me change my mind

Comment

Oooo oooo ...got good looking guys. Ok, I'm definitely watching it with big big bino !

Comment

meow, have not read the reviews in the papers. what did it say? lack of substance? it's really a very simple story line. if you're looking for an enjoyable evening, we recommend you to go watch it. at least for the laughs.

stressed, i had a great view of the cute guys. and the female lead is pretty too.

Comment

meow, have not read the reviews in the papers. what did it say? lack of substance? it's really a very simple story line. if you're looking for an enjoyable evening, we recommend you to go watch it. at least for the laughs.
                          Yeap lack of substance and the reviews commented that the music is not that great either.

I gave up my tickets to my friends because SO and me were too tired after working today.

Comment

meow, i hope your friend enjoys the musical.

Comment

meow, i hope your friend enjoys the musical.
                              Oh yes they do. They said it was really funny and the music was good. Hmm..if only I weren't so tired.

Comment

Working...
                              X