Soundtrack of your life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundtrack of your life...

I know this has probably been asked to death, but I wanna find out what you guys have been listening to. It doesn't have to be lately, but rather the soundtrack of your life. Do you have significant songs that define certain cornerstones of your life? And is there a certain kinda music you veer towards and why...

Hey, GREAT thread but gee, it's extremely tough to name just one that somehow sums up my life so far..

St Elmo's Fire (not nearly half as spirited, I'm afraid)

There's this song by Don Henley.. That's Just The Way It Is (?). Not exactly mine, strictly speaking

Simply too many! I'm feeling blue thinking about the past..

Comment

oh, i've got many .......

Songs that make me blue
      >the "Name Game" song
      anyone remember this?? yeah it reminds me of my ex.. he was a @$(*%^@

Songs that make me feel warm and fuzzy
      >Norah Jones' album
      reminds me of cruising in my cousin's Merc with the rain pattering on the glass ... lovely, serene.

>Moulin Rouge
      a special moment for me and my SO. the movie has special meaning for us

>"She" by Elvis Costello
      what can i say... ?? it's such a beaaauuutiful song. *sWOooN*
      Last edited by islande; 12-12-2003, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by islande
        -->Norah Jones' album. reminds me of cruising in my cousin's Merc with the rain pattering on the glass ... lovely, serene.
        i that too! bf's friend told him its the perfect makeout album so he went to download the entire album

Comment

some of my fav. CDs:

Robbin Willams (Sing When You're Winning) - i actually listen to this cd for months, everyday!! when i unhappy or moody, i just put my headphone on and blast this cd.

Norah Jones (Come Away with Me) - Soothing.. great for quiet nights.

Notting Hill OST - my first copy got scratched, and i spent months looking for another piece. Lucky found one in a small cd shop. Believe me, the cd shops doesn't stock up OST, especially years after the movie was screened. Sold out means SOLD OUT!! :note:

Dirty Dancing OST 1 & 2 - very 80s... whole different feel! if you like the movie, you must get these!!

The Legend of 1900 OST - this movie wasn't screen in Singapore. i watched it in Hong Kong when i was there travelling. Great movie!! Love this soundtrack. Ppl who like jazz and musical show definitely must watch this movie. not sure if you could get its vcd locally, you could try your luck in those smaller shops.

Comment

Originally posted by duckiee
            i that too! bf's friend told him its the perfect makeout album so he went to download the entire album
            well at least it's good your boyfriend tries to be romantic too!!

Jewel's album -- the second one, Spirited -- is also a nice, slow, makeout kinda album her voice is very calming. this CD has seen me through quite some years and reminds me of several memories

Comment

Cate, what about yourself? What songs were representative of the various phases of your life?

I was reading Nick Hornby's High Fidelity and there's something he said about the relation between music and his (love) life that's stuck. Much like what we're doing in this thread. There's so much he wrote in the book that I SO relate to, wholly. Like, how certain songs, no matter how yucky they were, then, they just get to you even now. One classic example: Turn Back The Clock by Johnny Hates Jazz. LOL! It's not like I had a breakup at that point in time! It's like how we think or act is solely defined by pop music! That's why his character in the book thinks a person's worth can be judged by the record collection he owns. Life itself is an album compilation of sorts.

I wish I can quote him here. Have to comb through the book again.

Comment

Glossie, I completely agree with your (and Nick Hornby's) thoughts on music in relation to each individual's life. I, for one, have been gaga over music ever since I bought my first cassette (Debbie Gibson's Out Of The Blue album *LOL*). That was when I was 13 and I haven't looked back since. Hey *high five*, I can sooo relate to Turn Back The Clock too...cuz that damn song reminds me of my first bf and our teenage trials and tribulations. In fact, Turn Back The Clock was THE definitive song of my early teenage years.

When I was a kid, I was constantly exposed to my dad's music collection...Elvis, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Sinatra, Dean Martin, Simon & Garfunkel, Eagles, The Carpenters, Bee Gees, etc...they were the soundtrack of my childhood. I am in deep love with these classics till this day.

Teenhood also saw me listening to alot of what they now refer to as Mambo or retro stuff...Spagna's Call Me, Dead Or Alive's You Spin Me Round, Al Corley's Square Rooms...cheesy as they may be, these songs still have the strong ability to get me bopping along. I'm 29 now, but I never really outgrew retro. I still find pleasure in hitting Zouk's Mambo nights and grooving along with kids half my age.

My late teenage years was dominantly ruled by American Top 40s hits...I was bonkers over Shadoe Stevens back then, so I made blinkin' sure I tuned in all the time...just so I could swoon over the faceless man with THE voice. There wasn't really a definitive song for me during this period. I practically dug every song, as long as they appeared in AT40 and was mentioned by Shadoe Stevens! I was a major lame-ass.

The huge musical cornerstone of my life came only in 1992 when I took up Audio Engineering at School of Audio Engineering...that was when my music taste took a complete 360 degree turn (under the heavy influence of my lecturers and classmates)...I got caught up in the pioneer 'alternative' scene. Nirvana, STP, Belly, Screaming Trees, Breeders, Faith No More, Hole...I was into them all. Anything that was loud, pissed off and angsty as hell, I majorly dug. It also helped that my then-bf, Greg, was all grungey, decked in all-black, angst-filled and super into pre-Alanis angry chicks a la PJ Harvey.

On my own these days, my music choices run the gamut...from K's Choice to Tenacious D to 50 Cent to Cesaria Evora to Monica Mancini to Linkin Park. I do listen to the occasional Chinese song or two, but I still much prefer English songs cuz I'm pretty much monolingual.

I would positively wilt and die without music to sustain my lifeforce. Long live music and may the magic of my soundtrack live on...
                Last edited by Glossie; 08-09-2004, 06:20 PM.

Comment

>"She" by Elvis Costello
                  I actually much prefer Fei Xiang's version.
                  Gawd, I'm not worthy!

Comment

Originally posted by cate69
                    Andy Williams
                    The Carpenters
                    Bee Gees
                    Dead Or Alive's You Spin Me Round
                    Al Corley's Square Rooms
                    Shadoe Stevens
                    Oasis
                    Nina Persson's (The Cardigans)
                    Texas
                    Suede
                    Natalie Merchant
                    Tori Amos
                    Suzanne Vega
                    Cate! How old are you? I wish I'd known about music earlier. Was a superduper late bloomer. Only got to listen to more of Andy Williams and the likes after my now-SO found me. He's a music freak of the older genres. Carpenters did so many other notsosommercial songs that're so haunting and melodious. He always said people don't make music like before anymore.

I absolutely Square Rooms. Not as lame-ass as you are on Shadoe Stevens but I was into him for but a bit. I'd like to think I dig Radiohead and 9" Nails like the hardcore fans but I only knew one or two songs by them. Now this is lame. Haha.

Ditto for the rest of the names I singled out. There're many others you hadn't mentioned but which I felt you knew and loved. Do you like The Cure? James Horner! Quintessential sound of haunting tunes. At one point in my life, I listened to Somewhere In Time every damn night. I loved the show to bits too. And the two leads. Love 'em love 'em love 'em. Did you catch Josh Groban on Channel i a coupla days ago? Oh, that Cinema Paradiso number.. it's so bloody lovely.

Comment

>"She" by Elvis Costello
                      I absolutely love this song too!!! The lyrics, the music and the voice!!! This is another reason why I repurchase the Notting Hill OST when my first copy got scratched.

Comment

Originally posted by Glossie
                        Cate! How old are you? I wish I'd known about music earlier. Was a superduper late bloomer. Only got to listen to more of Andy Williams and the likes after my now-SO found me. He's a music freak of the older genres. Carpenters did so many other notsosommercial songs that're so haunting and melodious. He always said people don't make music like before anymore.

I absolutely Square Rooms. Not as lame-ass as you are on Shadoe Stevens but I was into him for but a bit. I'd like to think I dig Radiohead and 9" Nails like the hardcore fans but I only knew one or two songs by them. Now this is lame. Haha.

Ditto for the rest of the names I singled out. There're many others you hadn't mentioned but which I felt you knew and loved. Do you like The Cure? James Horner! Quintessential sound of haunting tunes. At one point in my life, I listened to Somewhere In Time every damn night. I loved the show to bits too. And the two leads. Love 'em love 'em love 'em. Did you catch Josh Groban on Channel i a coupla days ago? Oh, that Cinema Paradiso number.. it's so bloody lovely.
                        I'm 29 and not a day younger. My all-time fave Carpenters tune is 'Solitaire'...gawd, each time Karen Carpenter belts out...

There was a man
                        A lonely man
                        Who lost his love through his indifference
                        A heart that cared...

I just get the nostalgic chills.

The Carpenters also did a wonderful rendition of 'The Rainbow Connection', but of course, Kermit's version is still ultimo supremo.

Exactly (thank you!). Pple don't make music like the oldies genre anymore. Simple, sincere and oh-so-from-the-heart. Not to slam the modern stuff. It's an entirely different beauty. Today's music is much harder and edgier.

When Ch 5 recently aired the trailer for Band Of Brothers to the tune of The Shirelles' Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow while bombs fell and planes dove...I had another nostalgic chill.

Listening to American 50s/60s era music always reminds me Norman Rockwell paintings...so wholly Americana and yesteryear. It's always a pleasure I love to indulge in.

Glossie, I'm so glad you found music. Better late than never, I always say. Music has brought so much joy to my not-always charmed life, in more ways than one. I can always rely on music to scoop me out of a mood rut.

I'm not a huge fan of The Cure, but I love Friday I'm In Love and Burn from The Crow soundtrack (maaan, that to me, is one of the definitive soundtrack of the mid-90s era).

I love Josh Groban and Michael Buble...they sorta bring back the magic of the yesteryears. I like Groban's version of Cinema Paradiso, but I prefer Monica Mancini's (daughter of score king Henry Mancini)...she is one seriously underrated talent. Her version of Senza Fine (opening track on Ghost Ship) is soooo gorgeous.

How do you enjoy your music, Glossie? I appreciate mine by lighting scented candles and having some red wine while I chill on my bed. I make sure I have at least two chill sessions a week to unwind from daily stress and unhappiness. Of course, Hubby has to be out while I do this. He's always nagging me on spilling candle wax and not to drink on the bed in case I knock the wine all over our sheets.

Comment

Cate.. I am not a day younger than 33 yet I pale so much in comparison to your knowledge of 80s music, just to name one!

I was about to say earlier, that, at our rate, we'll never get to 'The Movie(s) of Your Life'. When we talk about music - soundtracks, how can you not talk about movies as well? If you liked Cinema Paradiso the movie, you simply HAFTA watch Marlena. Maybe women won't get it like some men do (my SO). The movie soundtrack was great too. In the movie itself, both the narrator and the Bellucci share a lovely Italian song. When his heart broke, the record was ditched into the sea.

I'm horrid with names. I love Karen Carpenter's rendition of Ticket to Ride (?). I think I know the Solitaire song you mentioned. And yes, the nostalgic chills hit me without fail all the time. It was always hard for me to watch Band of Brothers.. that TV trailer secen of them jumping off the planes while the song played on - haunts me to no end. The recent Heineken ad of Aniston reaching for the beer carton? Oldies touch you like nothing else can, no matter the context.

I only liked a few numbers done by Buble. Hey, if you're game for chilling by the beach, check out Bora Bora bar at Palawan Station on Sentosa. The music they play is out of this world. It's OUR kind of music, if I may presume so, on your behalf. Some are vocals, some are guitar/instrumentals. Did you know that Luis Miguel (that's Mariah's famous ex) did some great songs on his latest Spanish album? He's not a fantastic singer but the melodies are really good. Well, we like them alot.

I'm not nearly half as sophisticated as you are.. very rough on the edges.. haha. No scented candles. Just a novel (trashy and shallow most times!) in bed, the occasional red wine (which was given free or won from a lucky dip at a bar) and I could listen to the Buffy *soundtrack* with such settings. Haha! I especially like to put on George Michael's (forgot the album's name.. someth like songs from some century.. I'm really hopeless with names) and gasp! Diane Krall. Not Norah Jones.

You must love Bacharach, Cate? Alfie? My SO loves Warwick, who sings lotsa Bacharach. I bet you don't know that Everything But The Girl plays great songs other tham that very-popular dance number! I really have my SO to thank for this experience.
                          Last edited by Glossie; 23-01-2005, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cate69
                            I would also say that, throughout my life, my music taste has always been strongly determined by the bfs I've been with.
                            Erm.. need I say you more.. about myself? Haha! It's always the case, eh? I said the same thing about food..

So. Who's the hubs? How many names were there?

Comment

Never saw blue like that - Shawn Colvin (from Runaway Bride)

Don't ask the reasons why - Restless Heart (from secret of my success)

I could fall in love - Selena (from Selena)

Bridget Jones's Diary soundtrack - I particularly like Jamie O'Neal's rendition of All By Myself

Angel - Sarah McLachlan (from City of Angels)

Feels like home - Chantel Kreviazuk & Somebody like you - Keith Urban (from how to lose a guy in 10 days)

And when she danced - David Foster & Marilyn Martin (from Stealing Home)

Let me let go - Faith Hill & Vince Gill (from message in a bottle)

Many more, but these are those that i reach out for most

Comment

Working...
                              X