Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Music

Hey Guys!

How about we talk about music you've discovered & got excited about just recently? It can be old, new, anything. As long as you just found it & like it. Tell us about any new albums you can't wait to listen to as well.

For me, I really want to listen to more of The Decemberists. It's on my husband's current playlist & I really like what I've heard. I still don't know the titles to the songs - I am really bad at remembering these sort of stuff (and describing them!) but will update more when I listen more.

Re: New Music

Originally posted by atypical
    The Decemberists. It's on my husband's current playlist & I really like what I've heard.
    What kinda music are they? Indie?

I'm currently digging Jason Mraz...he's like a funkier, more eclectic and more experimental John Mayer. His 'The Remedy' is astonishingly catchy and I can't wait to grab hold of his album 'Waiting For My Rocket To Come'!

Comment

I'm into light-hearted piano music. Great composers are Kevin Kern and David London. Just got another classical music from HMV - Strauss's collection. Can't wait to listen the whole album.

Comment

Kirsty Hawkshaw

Check her out if you like mellow vocals.

Songs to take note of: Leafy Lane, Bigger Picture, River.

Corrinne May

Uh huh, it seems only recently that im so into her songs. I love almost all her tracks. But songs that i specially like alot are:
        Same Side Of The Moon, All That I Need, Walk Away, Fly Away, Will You Remember Me.

Comment

Pardon me ladies, I am going "off-key" here, to interupt your conversations

Recently, I walked pass this shop playing sounds of the Chinese orchestra, but in Western classical pieces. On closer inspection, the group (as seen on their tv) seemed composed of a number of ladies and they are holding all kinds of Chinese musical instrument. Well, they sounded quite nice. Didnt stay too long to admire because there's a growing group of people blocking me.

THink the album is "Miracle", not quite sure. MIght be going to get it

Comment

Cate, I suppose the The Decemberists can be classified "Indie". Trust it to be Indie if it's playing off my hub's playlist.

Aeon, I love love love, mellow vocals. Will check those out when I find the time. Male "mellow" vocalist I like : Sondre Lerche. He was practically all I listened to when I was jobless. It was just me surfing all day on the comp, sun streaming through the windows, him singing ... Peace.

Another new-ish song that I really like. It's a mandarin one by Vivian Hsu. I think it's called "I love you 4 times" or something like that. I really love how she sang it. The lyric's so sweet & endearing.
            Last edited by atypical; 16-01-2004, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah Cate, arent you going to mention the Satisfastion song? Who are they again? I can't remember!

Guys, if you want some throbbing, hot pumping, grinding, campy dance music, check this Satisfaction song out. Check the video out too!

Comment

Blu Vodka, I think I know who you're talking about. They're all tall & leggy & they play classical instruments. Very much a Chinese version of Bond!

Comment

Originally posted by atypical
                  Oh yeah Cate, arent you going to mention the Satisfastion song? Who are they again? I can't remember!

Guys, if you want some throbbing, hot pumping, grinding, campy dance music, check this Satisfaction song out. Check the video out too!
                  BENNY BENASSI!!! OMG, love love LOVE Benny Benassi's Hypnotica! This is one of those rare dance albums where every single track is a winner. Thumping basslines and catchy hooks just reel you in.

Yeah man, the Satisfaction vid's every guy's wet dream, aplomb with overt sexual connotations and oiled-to-death bouncing melons galore! Highly recommended viewing!

Comment

Originally posted by Blu_Volka
                    THink the album is "Miracle", not quite sure. MIght be going to get it
                    I know which one you are talking about...this "ang-moh" lady (don't really know which orgin she is from) stays in Japan to master the Japanese flute.

If you are into vocals, you can try Emi Fujita - Camomile and Camomile Blend albums. I love all her songs but can get very sick of it easily because it contains almost the same tune as you play it frequently, if you get what i mean.

If you are into New Age, try Karunesh...they are mostly very oriental songs. You can also look into this website: www.realmusic.com

HTH!
                    Last edited by dolphin; 16-01-2004, 10:04 AM.

Comment

atypical : Yeah yeah! very "bond" and very glamourous

dolphin: thanks alot!! I am looking around for some New Age sounds as well

Comment

Originally posted by cate69
                        BENNY BENASSI!!! OMG, love love LOVE Benny Benassi's Hypnotica!...Yeah man, the Satisfaction vid's every guy's wet dream, aplomb with overt sexual connotations and oiled-to-death bouncing melons galore!
                        I love this guy too! Satisfaction was really HOT in PErth a few months ago. Its playing almost every weekend twice/night, in most pubs.
                        Last edited by Glossie; 23-01-2005, 02:36 PM.

Comment

www.decemberists.com

The Decemberists -"At once Old World and New World [The Decemberists] combine English lit-class lyrics, baroque atmospheres and modern pop catchiness. Castaways is a fresh concoction of charming, artful music." -Magnet

Songs I love:
                          Grace Cathedral Hill
                          The Legionnaire's Lament
                          The Soldiering Life
                          Oceanside
                          Los Angeles, I'm Yours
                          Billy Liar

They have been likened to Belle & Sebastian. Listening to them makes me feel all fuzzy wuzzy, relaxed & serene. Very emotive, that's all I can say.

Comment

I LOVE BENASSI AS WELL!

And my my What big..bass lines when Satisfaction came out, lets just say me and my SO had great fun dancing to that track

Hypnotica is a very hard core synth and very very fun. Checkit! I like "Love is going to save us" from the album. There's not very much variation, but who cares when ur just bopping along.

Jason Mraz is good, but he sounds too much like Dave Matthews, the band he grew up to, and I'm a huge DM fan so..

Another new album recently: Sarah McLachlan's Afterglow, not impressed since I was hugely taken by mirrorball and surfacing, but it gets better after a few spins.

Comment

Ok, I have no idea who Jason Mraz is but I am listening to one if his songs right now... Is it just me or does he sound like a less relaxed Tracy Chapman?

What are Mr Mraz's recommended songs?

If anyone has heard any of The Decemberists, tell me what you think of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X