Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear Black on 1 July for a cause

"1st July 2005 - A BLACK DAY FOR COMMUTERS

We urge all S'poreans to wear Black on 1 July to register their displeasure at the public transport fare hike, and also ERP charges. We wear Black because mere words cannot express our disappointment. We have become speechless at this administration which time and again choose to ignore public feedback. We want to make our silence visible."

Gotten this from another forum..
    I know some may say that this is a very lousy movement and that whatever done is done, the fare won't come down. But at least we make it known that we are not happy at the price hike. And it won't hurt to just wear black for that day...

Do help to spread the word around..

Last edited by nalgene; 06-06-2005, 02:32 AM.

Even if you wear black on that day, do you think the govt will just adjust the fare? I doubt so.

Comment

I think no matter how we protest. The Govt will still go ahead will their decisions

Comment

they won't...and i think we all know that.. but it won't hurt to wear black for a day, doesn't it??

Comment

nalgene .. i wouldn't mind wearing black if only the weather wasn't so darn hot these days! but i think a "silent protest" is useless .. then again nobody would want to be blacklisted by speaking out loud ..

Comment

hi kestrel, is the weather really that hot these days.?? everyone that i talk to have been lamenting about it. i am not in singapore at the moment.

but i will wear black here on that day.. just to be part of the spirit.

Comment

haha but i think it'd be fun... to protest in a singaporean black face day. i'd love to wear black on that day... but i cant because its my cousin's wedding. she specified, no black colour. haha i'd have to wear pink that day for the wedding =P

Comment

nalgene .. well i had my makeup on in 30 mins and it was washed off by my perspiration in 10 mins when i stepped out of my house to walk to the bus stop. maybe it's just me but i perspire till i'm dripping sweat off my face. no joke!!!

Comment

No, the government is not going to do anything, even if we wear black. Still, it's good to know that the locals are not going to be walked all over, and that we do have an opinion.

So yes, I'll wear all black on that day, just because I'm going to get only so little bonus this July, I'm going to show my displeasure for anything that has to do with price hikes, for now.

Comment

I shall wear black too, thou I will not be back in singapore that day. It's for the spirit of it. The economy isnt so well and yet they are increasing the fares and ERP.

Comment

heya! although i think that it's pretty futile to protest since the govt has already made up its mind..but i think that such a display of subtle defiance is pretty cool..afterall we get to voice our displeasure in a indirect but effective manner..so u go girls..it'll be black for me on 1st july!

Comment

Count me in!! I know that the hike will not go away even if we did this but its so unfair that we have to pay an increase even when they are earning! They are just earning less ....

Comment

Its just me, but I really feel that most (would I dare say ALL of us here in CC?) of us would be able to afford the hike Plus, I think it really affects only drawing very low (and by low, I do not mean low as in can't afford LV or the latest Stila palettes) salaries and yet have young children to feed/send to school.

Comment

I don't think this is whether u can or cannot afford this increase but whether it is justifiable or necessary to have this increase.

Anyway, I know we willn't be making them change anything but I am still in for this 'Wear Black Day'.

Comment

i agree with you lady_is...

Comment

Working...
                              X