Buy from Amazon.com(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy from Amazon.com(?)

Hiya, does anyone here buy music CDs or movie VCDs from Amazon.com? I do not usually splurge on CDs (prefer to get my tunes for free ), but there're a number of music CDs which are near impossible to download, and they cost a bomb in the local music stores. I'm thinking of getting them via Amazon.com... will the savings be more substantial?

Example: Music albums by Tricky and Mezzanine cost only USD13.98 online, but cost nearly SGD30+ in local music stores.

I'm also thinking of purchasing some DVDs (I've checked with local stores, and they do not stock them), but am just wondering if the uncensored versions will pass through the SG customs?

hiya, sorry i'm not really answering your question but would like to suggest an alternative instead.
    have you tried gramophone? they do stock some niche albums sometimes, or you might wanna ask them to order for you? i don't think they will charge a cut-throat price for that.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the question regarding the savings being more substantial - you have to check out the local prices and make a comparison taking into account the exchange rate and postage. There is no price matching so what you see is what you get - they do not guarantee the lowest prices on the internet. I've bought tons from them because they stock things I can't find where I live, it's more expensive to get it from different sites, and the postage is usually under US$20. Bear in mind I buy DVD box sets that come in huge boxes. Many items are shipped from HK. The estimate for shipping comes up before you pay.

I don't think they check DVDs in the mail - they have no right to open your packages unless it contains suspicious materials (i.e. biohazards, bombs). It is up to the owner to register and get the censorship label after you get the DVDs, which for small quantities, noone does. But I have lost a whole package of DVDs in the mail and never found out if it was confiscated or just never sent. The censorship thing is just a classification. DVDs that come into Singapore are not censored - titles which contain material unacceptable to the censorship boards will not be allowed in Singapore. Singapore's market is too small for them to make a whole different version with less violence/sex. However, just because it is not stocked in Singapore does not mean that it's unacceptable to the board. They're just not popular enough to be stocked sometimes.

Comment

Heya ladies, thanks a lot for your replies! Yeah, I figured it would be better to compare the prices of local stores vs. prices + shipping of Amazon.com. I was at Gramophone earlier on, they're having a sale! I didn't manage to get 'Rosemary's Baby' DVD (which is one of the items I'm looking for), as it's OOS. I'll probably have to look elsewhere for it. Apparently, this DVD is rather hard to get, since it's an old production.

Aphrael: Did you check with Amazon for the tracking number of the lost package?

Comment

Well, it wasn't from Amazon - all my packages from Amazon arrived perfect and crisp. The company we bought from said they sent it, but it wasn't via trackable post - all they could prove was that they sent it out. I still can't resist buying from Amazon since I like all the weird titles they don't have here. I'm a particular fan of Jane Eyre and only they have the Tim Dalton version so far ... not to mention box sets for the popular tv series like Alias, Smallville, Stargate, Scrubs and Malcolm in the Middle ...

Comment

Originally posted by creepcake
            Hiya, does anyone here buy music CDs or movie VCDs from Amazon.com? I do not usually splurge on CDs (prefer to get my tunes for free ), but there're a number of music CDs which are near impossible to download, and they cost a bomb in the local music stores. I'm thinking of getting them via Amazon.com... will the savings be more substantial?

Example: Music albums by Tricky and Mezzanine cost only USD13.98 online, but cost nearly SGD30+ in local music stores.

I'm also thinking of purchasing some DVDs (I've checked with local stores, and they do not stock them), but am just wondering if the uncensored versions will pass through the SG customs?

Because of the shipping, it's hard to say that Amazon saves you money.
            I do have some suggestions though.

Rare CDs and DVDs:
            eBay (Items will be even cheaper and lower shipping cost too!)

Cutting down on shipping cos from Amazon:
            If you aren't in a hurry, Gatewaycom (can't remember the company name exactly ) offers a box service where Amazon orders from multiple people are combined. This lowers the total shipping cost.

DVDs:
            Generally, packages from Amazon don't get checked for censorship often. All my Amazon DVDs have arrived smoothly. However, I have had DVDs from other retailers checked before. You pay a small fee to the censorship board to screen your dvd if the title isn't on the approved/banned list. If it passes, you get a sticker. If it fails, they give you the option of mailing the item back out of Singapore (at least they don't trash it!).

Hope all the information helps!

Comment

Just made an order - box sets are actually much cheaper than say Australia (where I am based) or Singapore. One box set averages $20 less so it offsets the shipping. I got 3 and it's still under $400 for the taxable threshold. Must say it's quite worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
              X