Breastfeeding Petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding Petition

As some of you know, the weekday drama on TCS8 is a heavy promoter of a certain brand of formula milk, thereby violating a code of ethics. It has also constantly given out grossly wrong information regarding the feeding and welfare of babies. As such, a group of mothers have come together and are organising a petition in protest of this. For the sake of our little children (including the unborn ones), do come down to Plaza Singapura and show your support by signing the petition!

Some of you have privately expressed your support of breastfeeding to me, I hope you too can make it to Plaza Sing and sign the petition.

Please help to spread this news around!

Info below:

Signing Letter of Protest on "Baby Boom" Show
    Key Issues: Misleading Information & Violation of
    SIFECS Code
    www.asiaparents.net/activities.htm

Date: Sunday 5 October 2003
    Time: 2.30 to 4.30pm
    Venue: Cafes at The Atrium, behind Hongkong Bank
    (opposite Dhoby Ghaut MRT, next to Plaza Singapura)

Enquiries: Email SAM (Tel 90683180) or Winnie
    (90061695) or Joanne

A bit of history for those who want to know more:

A Chinese drama series called ?Baby Boom? (http://ch8.mediacorptv.com/shows/drama/view/271/1/.html)is
    being broadcast on Channel 8 in Singapore. In most of
    the scenes, cans of baby milk formulas is displayed in
    the background, quite obviously for advertising
    purposes as Abbott being one of the sponsors.

- Similac placed right in the foreground of the screen
    (In front of
    actors)

- actress Pan LingLing telling the mother-to-be Zoe
    Tay that she should
    get Pediasure for children next time as it helps
    supplement their diet.

- Tonight Zoe Tay gives birth. This supposedly "ABBOTT Marketing Manager"appears to congratulate the family and to offer FREE milk powder for the 4 children!

- And then the baby's grandfather said THAT
    "advertising line" about "GOOD good!!! Abbott is a
    premium and well-known brand in infant
    nutrition from the USA!"

- On the way home, the 4 babies ARE NOT placed in
    infant carseats. They
    are all carried by grandparents AND one by the Mother
    Zoe Tay. And the mother is feeding the baby with a
    Milk BOTTLE - spreading the wrong values in infant
    nutrition, and also sharing how it could be alright to
    have babies on your lap in a car - despite it being
    ILLEGAL in Singapore!

- Back home, ABBOTT manager appears at door - once
    again. To offer an ABBOTT hamper and more milk
    powder.....

This goes against the SIFECS code which is also backed
    by WHO.
    http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/brea...es/SIFECS.html

The Code of Ethics also recognises that there is a
    legitimate market for infant formula which are
    scientifically formulated to provide an alternative,
    if breastfeeding is not possible. However, sale and distribution of infant formula should be carried out in such a way as to avoid competing with breast milk, thereby creating an artificial need for the products. Marketing of infant formula therefore, requires special treatment which makes the usual marketing practices unsuitable for these products.

The site further states that:

All firms dealing with infant foods in Singapore
    participated actively in the formulation of the
    revised Code of Ethics. They will continue to ensure
    its successful implementation and monitoring. They
    have agreed to subscribe to and operate within the
    Code of Ethics, and to submit their promotional,
    educational and product use instructional materials to
    be approved by the Vetting Committee of SIFECS.

I'm definitely supporting this cause... thanks for the heads up Mag!

Comment

I'm definitely into this cause. I have a friend who's pregnant and is fighting for breastfeeding her own child against her MIL as well as her husband. Poor girl

Comment

but kare2711, why is your friend's MIL and SO against it? doesnt everyone know its the best? the only bad thing abt it, is welll, i think it makes breasts sag more right? ah... i thought MIL knew better!

Comment

i also felt the show is full of advertisements and i am amazed that they openly say out the brands of the products. there was one scene that zoe tay is consulting gynae abt her concern that she has not enough breast milk for all 4 babies and he recommends the milk powder saying that it also has taurine that is in breastmilk. i was actually telling my hubby that in fututre can just use that brand, no need to breastfeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixash
            but kare2711, why is your friend's MIL and SO against it? doesnt everyone know its the best? the only bad thing abt it, is welll, i think it makes breasts sag more right? ah... i thought MIL knew better!
            One very apparent reason noted by the MIL was that according to her sister who was a nurse , mothers may not have enough milk to provide to the child. And also, supposedly, this will cause lactose-intolerant in the child in later years.

I'm not buying it and neither does my friend. So the fight is still going on for her. :piss:
            Last edited by kare2711; 03-10-2003, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I didn't catch the show but Mag I am with you on this worthy cause too.

Comment

Latest:

You can view the petition letter HERE. IF you cannot make it for the signing, you can print out page 4, scan it with your signatures on it, and email it to [email protected] or fax it in to 62597989.

The press will be there to cover the event I believe, hope this increases breastfeeding awareness

Comment

Originally posted by kare2711
                  One very apparent reason noted by the MIL was that according to her sister who was a nurse , mothers may not have enough milk to provide to the child. And also, supposedly, this will cause lactose-intolerant in the child in later years.

I'm not buying it and neither does my friend. So the fight is still going on for her. :piss:

Perhaps ur friend could speak to her SO & MIL to supplement with formulae if there's insufficient breast milk

If breast milk causes lactose-intolerence, weren't all our ancestors be lactose-intolerent? :roll:

Comment

Working...
                  X