Baby/Children's Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby/Children's Wear

To get a breather from all this labour talk, where do you girls buy your children's clothes?

Mango, you've a girl -> prepare to spend money

Girls are spoilt for choice, so MUCH pretty stuff out there ~
    Last edited by makeupmag; 08-05-2004, 03:24 PM.

Re: Baby/Children's Wear!

For baby items, I've pretty much 'finalised' I'm gonna get, from where, which brand and when (waiting for the great singapore sale!), and one of the few things left that I don't have enough info on and can't decide how much to get/where to buy is baby clothes. Very timely thread!

My questions are,

1)how often does a newborn (newborn to 3 months) need change of clothes? Some tells me twice a day, some tells me 6 times a day, so how many sets do I need on the average?

2)What kind of clothes do newborns wear (my priority is my baby's comfort)? Some says rompers are best, some says rompers are toublesome to change, two pieces are best, and some say two pieces are not suitable for newborns cause the bottoms irritate the UC stump.

3)Newborns outgrow their clothes in matters of weeks and months, so I was told by everyone, don't splurge at all at lest for the first 6 mths - 1st year. My Q: how fast (generally) do newborns outgrow their clothes? a month? 2 months?

4)I hear alot of the troublesome heat rash problem due to our humid weather (I won't be having the air-conditioner on), so I suppose 100% cotton is the best material? Where can I get good quality 100% cotton baby clothes that aren't too expensive (since they outgrow so fast)?

Sorry for my long list of questions again This topic happens to be one I haven't done my homework and research on yet.

I won't be dressing my newborn baby up too much (comfort is my priority for first 4-5 months, + not v practical for her to be spotting a frilly party dress everyday LOL), but as soon as she starts developing preferences for clothes and colours, I'll let her do the picking herself. I was hoping to bring her out to romp everywhere when she's mobile next time, so her day-to-day clothes will have to be easily cleanable/washable ones, in comfy material.

For pretty girly ones, so far I love what I see at Mothercare, haven't started noticing clothes at other places yet.

Comment

Good questions, mango as those are the ones I want answered too. I have no idea how much I should buy. My SIL is so lucky. She got so much hand-me-downs from her sisters so she didn't have to buy any at all.

Comment

Hi mango,

As you know, I'm a new mum to a 3mth old, so not very experienced too, so my answers are to the best of my knowledge

1)how often does a newborn (newborn to 3 months) need change of clothes? Some tells me twice a day, some tells me 6 times a day, so how many sets do I need on the average?

So far I don't recall ever having to change her clothes more than 3 times a day. Usually I change her once after her bath, and one more time into long pants for the night before beddie time cos I sleep with aircon on. I have abt 14 sets on rotation. How many sets you need also depends on how often you do laundry.

2)What kind of clothes do newborns wear (my priority is my baby's comfort)? Some says rompers are best, some says rompers are toublesome to change, two pieces are best, and some say two pieces are not suitable for newborns cause the bottoms irritate the UC stump.

I personally prefer short-sleeved or sleeveless cotton rompers/ bodysuits. I was afraid that shorts will irritate the UC stump. But after the UC stump came off, I then let her wear 2 pc sometimes. I don't find the rompers troublesome to change at all. If you're talking abt those rompers/ bodysuitswith pants and booties, then yeah. But those rompers/ bodysuits that stop short at the baby's thighs are great! Plus it's good to wear light in our humid weather. Baby's body temperature is no different than us adults. So dress as you deem fit for the weather.

3)Newborns outgrow their clothes in matters of weeks and months, so I was told by everyone, don't splurge at all at lest for the first 6 mths - 1st year. My Q: how fast (generally) do newborns outgrow their clothes? a month? 2 months?

Yes don't splurge on too much baby clothes. They outgrow them sooner than you think. My set of 0-3mth clothes are still wearable, but not for long. I'll give it another 2 weeks or so at the very most. But then different baby clothing size varies as well. But 3 mths is a good gauge.

4)I hear alot of the troublesome heat rash problem due to our humid weather (I won't be having the air-conditioner on), so I suppose 100% cotton is the best material? Where can I get good quality 100% cotton baby clothes that aren't too expensive (since they outgrow so fast)?

I kinow Mothercare has very reasonably-priced 100% cotton rompers/ bodysuits. They come in a set of 7 for SGD40 or so. Check out their web site here:
        http://www.mothercare.com.sg/fcorporate.html

Comment

yeah, babies grow out of their clothes super fast! my mom 'found' a 'network' of moms with babies around the same age and the clothes got passed around. helps everyone save a little.

i think my toys, pram, walker (?) got passd around too! saw some of them recently at a family friend's place.

Comment

Re: Re: Baby/Children's Wear!

Originally posted by mango
            1)how often does a newborn (newborn to 3 months) need change of clothes?

2)What kind of clothes do newborns wear (my priority is my baby's comfort)?

3)My Q: how fast (generally) do newborns outgrow their clothes? a month? 2 months?

4)Where can I get good quality 100% cotton baby clothes that aren't too expensive (since they outgrow so fast)?

For pretty girly ones, so far I love what I see at Mothercare, haven't started noticing clothes at other places yet.
            1. This depends on your baby. My little one was prone to regurgitating his milk so I had to change a fair bit. On the safe side, 3 to 5 sets a day (or less!) should be ok.

2. I love rompers the short ones and covered ones. Newborns don't move much actually, so just give them comfy cotton wear.

3. Again, this depends on your baby's rate of growth. I would advise you to buy 1 or 2 sets of real newborn clothing (0 months) and get hand me downs for infants from your friends. Buy a few 3-6 months, maybe 1 6-9 months. The rest you can buy when you are ready to venture out with baby!

4. Mothercare has good romper sets but my gripe with them is that the collar part expands, such that they fall down baby's shoulders. Don't know if it's because I didn't hadwash them sometimes? You can however try one or 2 sets - they are cheap and comfy! I like - The First Few Years (United Square) has lovely coloured (no print) rompers at $6.90 each I believe!

Some places to see girl girl clothes (mango you would LOVE them! )

United Colours of Benetton Level 4 Ngee Ann City - gorgeous, gorgeous and trendy!
            Zara kidswear @ Zara
            Bumwear (United Square) www.bumwear.com

Will post when I think of more later

Comment

Holland Village Shopping Centre has a factory outlet shop for branded goods. I saw 0-3mths romper (I think) selling 3 for $10, oldnavy brand.

I have NO hand-me-downs! Everyone tells me to get hand-me-downs for everything and when I ask them, yah... so WHO is going to give/lend me this or that item, they shut up. *pout*

I'm planning to have at most 3 pieces of newborn clothing (at 3 for $10 sounds ok yah? Hehehe). And some mittens and socks because I read they scratch themselves quite badly. And standby receiving blanket and the umbilical tummy wrapper cloth.

Then hope for the rest of the baby clothing to fall down from the sky, hah! :huh:

Comment

Don't worry, mel. You're going to be receiving some gifts from relatives and friends so I am sure you're bound to get some baby clothes then

What your newborn needs (from The Mother of all Pregnancy Books by Ann Douglas):

12 newborn nighties (one size fits most!)
                3 sleepers
                2 hooded towel and washcloth sets
                3 sets of fitted crib sheets
                3 blankets
                12 extra-large receiving blankets
                3 pairs of socks
                2 cotton hats
                4 large bibs (only necessary if you're planning to formula-feed or if your baby spits up a lot)

Comment

I hope so... but then my wish-list is quite long cos I don't have steriliser, bathtub and all that either. :note:

I think I won't have that many as on the list, probably just normal towel instead of hooded towel (even though it warms the head), certainly not that many receiving blankets. For bedlinen- I have 1 complete set with side bumpers, I'd just get 1 extra bedsheet and hope everything else miraculously appears when I need them...

I think MORE socks and mittens needed unless I do laundry really often (they're too tiny to warrant often laundry).

Comment

I am not sure if I am going to get a steriliser or not. They are quite expensive. My SIL boils all the bottles, pacifiers, chew toys etc in a big pot and that's of course an economical way of doing it. Even with the steriliser, you still need to add water in so the process is similar to boiling in a big pot, isn't it?

My MIL has bought me a lot of towels (for wrapping the baby etc) so I don't need to buy any more.

I haven't bought the cot yet so the bedlinen and mattress etc can wait. I have seen some really cute ones at Aussino that I want though.

You definitely need more socks and mittens. I think my SIL has more than 10 sets and she couldn't change them fast enough because her baby likes to put her hands into her mouth.

Comment

mittens and booties

Newborn babies often have mittens and booties on. What purposes do they serve apart from the mittens preventing the baby from scratching her own face? Why need booties (presuming baby is not in air-conditioned environment)? Can I do without both if I were to regularly trim baby's nails nice and short?

Comment

I think even nail trimming can result in scratches if baby insists on scratching delicate face skin?

Comment

Re: mittens and booties

Originally posted by mango
                          Newborn babies often have mittens and booties on. What purposes do they serve apart from the mittens preventing the baby from scratching her own face? Why need booties (presuming baby is not in air-conditioned environment)? Can I do without both if I were to regularly trim baby's nails nice and short?
                          Newborn babies tend to loose body heat easily; esp through their feet and hands. Yes, even if they're not in air-conditioned environment. Wearing the mittens or the booties will keep them warm. Don't worry about 'heat', they like it warm. Just like they were in our wombs.

Tip I: Just don't forget to keep their hands clean / dry before putting on the mittens, cos they can really smell.

Tip II: You only need them for about 2 months. After that, it's good to let baby explore their sense of touch.

Tip III: You need at least 6 pairs of each. You need to change them like 3 pairs a day. Babies wet - 'lick' / dirty them pretty often. So get as many hand me down as possible.

Aw....Babies are such angels!

HTH
                          Last edited by crayon_palette; 13-05-2004, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Re: Re: mittens and booties

Originally posted by crayon_palette
                            Don't worry about 'heat', they like it warm. Just like they were in our wombs.
                            I'm not worried about heat, I don't want baby to wear mittens and booties if possible cause I want her to be able to grasp /move /feel /explore freely. That's how babies learn. Hmm...I think I'll probably start off not letting her wear (unless weather's cold or something), and if she really starts scratching her face, then no choice, gotta let her wear.

Comment

Originally posted by cassia Hi Mango,

thought i be a nosey parker abt the mitten/boots topic. Crayon_palette's advice is very sound. Better heed that, coz you don't want yr newborn baby to feel discomfort or catch a cold. Indeed, the baby has been in the womb for abt 9 mths, so you can imagine the heat in there. Notice that all babies are wrapped up for at least a few weeks, so therefore the importance of mittens too. We have got to let them acclimatise to the new, strange surroundings and then slowly open them up to allow them to explore and feel. If you feel their feet, you'll notice it's cold, even under normal room temperature.

We have too to keep them warm and close to us. That's why they say BF is best, as baby is close to the mum's body, and can still hear her heartbeat, like it is still in the womb. Anyway, the hospital would advise you to bring a set when baby's born.

Well, that's my personal nudge abt this. Sorry to take up yr time.

Thanks Cassia, I'll decide what to do when the time comes. If my baby is cold and need mittens/booties, of course I'll gladly have her wear them.

As for BF, its a seperate thing right? I mean, I've already said why I'm thinking of omitting mittens/booties(restrict movement). So unless BF also obstructs movement, if not these two topics are different matters.

Edit to add: Oh, btw, I posted my reply here instead of via PM is because I thought these are all info that can be shared and might be useful to other cotters. Besides, I prefer to have open discussions so that I get to hear more opinions.
                              Last edited by mango; 14-05-2004, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X