Cradle | Cot | Sling | Walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cradle | Cot | Sling | Walker

Will you let your babies sleep in the factory made baby cot, or the sarong cradle we used to sleep in, in the old days?

Just saw from yesterday's The NewPaper that there is a considerable number of sarong cradle-related accidents, which cause the infants to suffer from severe head injuries..

Think this is something that can be discussed over here?

Re: RE: Sarong cradle Vs Baby Cot

Originally posted by SantaGaL
    Will you let your babies sleep in the factory made baby cot, or the sarong cradle we used to sleep in, in the old days?

My baby will sleep in a cot.

Timely topic, cause I'm currently trying to decide which cot to get. Mag, you practise bed-sharing with both your sons right? Cause if not, what brand of cot do you use?

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 15-11-2008, 01:38 AM. Reason: ....................

Comment

I sleep with my babies

That said, if you want a cot you can get one that can convert into a side car i.e. one side can be pulled down and connected to your bed. I think Mel explained it very clearly

Mel, can enlighten me on what the bumpers are? Barriers? You know, LifeBaby used to have the cutest angel wings booties - I lost one side

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 15-11-2008, 01:39 AM. Reason: ...................

Comment

How about knocking down the wall to make your room larger so your kid can sleep with you? One of my friends did this and she has a large bedroom cum study area.

Your cot wil stay put if it's locked, right? Otherwise may be dangerous for baby and you.

Re: stroller, you can try Combi, cheap and good! If you're willing to splurge a little, Aprica.

I must confess though, ever since I started using the baby sling, I've grown addicted and find it a hassle to use a stroller. Plus I've lost practically all the skill I use to have with a stroller! Now I actually don't bring it out unlesss dh is with me.

Some examples of baby slings:

www.mummysmilk.com
            www.momsinmind.com.sg
            www.born-and-bond.com
            www.mayawrap.com

These are the more common and affordable ones. There are tons out there with more intricate designs (and higher prices )

I will post a pic of my slings (they were custom made) later!

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 15-11-2008, 01:39 AM. Reason: ...............

Comment

Mel, you'd hate to see my house then! As I'm typing this on the PC in the hall, the toys are strewn all over the floor and the little one's crawling everywhere But this is the best way for me to do my work while watching him.

It's great that you have it all planned out. It is good to make provisions for what you want, before the baby arrives. And it IS a good idea to make sure the toys are kept in one room only - reduces the mess! You sound like you have a beautiful house 'resort'...***!

Some of those baby carriers can be very stylish...will they tempt you to change your mind?

Combi is a little like Aprica iirc, very easy to manouvre I hope you find something suitable for you!

When are you due?

You know, it would be nice to meet up with you & mango! Beautiful MTBs

Comment

Yes, it'll be nice to meet you when you're free Mag! I'm already seeing Mel quite regularly cause we attend prenatal yoga together sometimes.

For me, I'm planning to get the Graco EDT citisport stroller (as much as I would love to have an Aprica, just can't justify spending 1K+ on the model I want). I don't see myself using a sling/carrier for too long, and so thought might as well let baby get used to stroller right from beginning so she won't have much problems being in one later.

Mag, everyone says my belly's growing very fast, even Mel! Very happy everytime I pass by the mirror. I scrub my belly twice a week so that its nice and smooth. Even waxed it twice already LOL (not that its v hairy, just want it to look smoother).

On toys and tidiness- I've never been a very tidy person, when I had a dog, my dog's toys were strewn all over the house, literally! I plan to make the living room baby's play area, and let her explore as freely as possible. I don't plan on getting too many toys, so packing up should not be a big issue, and as soon as she learns the basics of classifying, I'll get her to put everything back in place before end of each day.

Mag, what toys do your sons play with before they're 1? Or rather, what do you do with them when you get to spend a whole day at home together (apart from the routine things like eating, bathing, napping, etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by mango I don't see myself using a sling/carrier for too long, and so thought might as well let baby get used to stroller right from beginning so she won't have much problems being in one later.
                    Personally, I feel that a sling is good because of the bonding & bfg convenience. Just curious, why don't you see yourself carrying the baby for long? Re: the stroller - infants would be ok with it (can't protest what!) but even though you start from young, when your child gets to the mobile stage, they still may be averse to the stroller simply because they want to explore. That said, some children are very ok with being in a stroller.

Mag, everyone says my belly's growing very fast, even Mel! Very happy everytime I pass by the mirror. I scrub my belly twice a week so that its nice and smooth. Even waxed it twice already LOL (not that its v hairy, just want it to look smoother). .
                    I love the way you love your pregnancy, so sweet Oh, but do be careful in case those scrubs contain essential oil. May overstimulate the foetus.

Mag, what toys do your sons play with before they're 1? Or rather, what do you do with them when you get to spend a whole day at home together (apart from the routine things like eating, bathing, napping, etc)?
                    Can be anything! Re: toys - any plastic thing will do: cups, bowls, flat teethers (in I's case). There're a variety of toys you can choose from. Their attention span is very short so anything goes. As for how to spend time, I talk to my baby, carry him around. Mostly it's talking, 'playing' (carry and pretend-fly, tickling, silly voices etc) and NURSING. Bfg takes up a fair bit of time but that's part of the bonding

Comment

Originally posted by makeupmag
                      Personally, I feel that a sling is good because of the bonding & bfg convenience. Just curious, why don't you see yourself carrying the baby for long? Re: the stroller - infants would be ok with it (can't protest what!) but even though you start from young, when your child gets to the mobile stage, they still may be averse to the stroller simply because they want to explore. That said, some children are very ok with being in a stroller.

Cause the baby gets heavier and heavier with each passing day/month and I imagine that I'll find it uncomfortable carrying my baby using a carrier/sling (weight factor plus slinging means an extra piece of cloth wrapping around me in the humid weather). I imagine myself using a stroller with alot more ease and comfort, so might as well start off using stroller from the beginning.

Yeah, I know that as soon as my baby learns how to tod, she'll want to run everywhere touching & exploring everything (haha...esp because she's my kid, I suspect she'll be a *very* curious and active child), that's one reason why I'm not splurging on an Aprica. While she is still not mobile, I'll use a stroller, but once she starts toddling, I'll definitely want her to explore as much as she wants. In fact I can't wait, plus, running everywhere with an active child is a superb way of shedding excess weight gained during pregnancy.

On scrubs, I didn't dare to use good scrubs precisely because I was worried about the EO reason, so I used only St Ives, my rationale is that something so cheap probably wouldnt contain any real EO. So its safe right?

BTW Mag, is it fine or safe to 'rub' my tummy? Not very hard of course, eg, the same strength used to scrub or apply lotion. And once in a while my belly area (usually the sides or lower part) feel a little crampy (or I have a stitch or something), is it fine to massage particularly that area if it makes me feel better? Do you get that when you're pregnant?

Comment

Hi dear! I would still encourage you to sling if you can - baby isn't very heavy in the beginning and by slinging you can go everywhere with ease, handsfree! . Plus you'll have a less fussy baby. Just my experience, hope you don't think I'm pushing this down your throat

Scrubs, I don't know about the St Ives scrub but I think should be all right.

Re: cramping - wow, you're having your braxton hicks contractions, most probs! Yay, your body is preparing you for the REAL contractions. Definitely OK to alleviate that with massaging.

So enjoyable reading all this. Brings back memories (and no, don't tell me to have another one )

Comment

Re: RE: Sarong cradle Vs Baby Cot

Hi ladies! :wave:

So glad that makeupmag started this thread

I'm a new mum to an almost 3 mth old baby girl. So I would love to listen to anything baby-related from more experienced mums. Seems like time really flies! Just not too long ago, I was still guessing the baby's sex. lol.

Originally posted by SantaGaL

Just saw from yesterday's The NewPaper that there is a considerable number of sarong cradle-related accidents, which cause the infants to suffer from severe head injuries..

Think this is something that can be discussed over here?

I wouldn't let my baby sleep in a sarong cradle because:
                          *Main reason is I don't feel it's a very safe device. I had a bad experience when I was young. I (abt 3yrs old) was rocking my baby brother (about 1 yr old or younger at that time), and suddenly the sarong cradle just gave way Scared the hell out of me. Young me thought I had killed my baby brother! Luckily he was ok, but I still felt really gulity for a long time

*I have 3 dogs (2 small, and 1 big size). I'm afraid they will jump up onto the sarong cradle.

*I'm afraid that my baby will become too dependent on the sarong cradle, and wouldn't go to sleep without the bouncing motions. That would be a nightmare when you're visiting or travelling.

Currently, I'm using a portable baby cot/ playpen. I really like the look of the wooden ones, but SO might relocate to the US at the end of this year, so we decided to go with the portable one. It's really sturdy, and when baby gets older, we can use it as a playpen.

mel171103kev- If you wanna sleep with your baby, but afraid that baby will soil your mattress, you can buy those baby water proof sheets to put on your mattress. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by makeupmag
                            Hi dear! I would still encourage you to sling if you can - baby isn't very heavy in the beginning and by slinging you can go everywhere with ease, handsfree! . Plus you'll have a less fussy baby. Just my experience, hope you don't think I'm pushing this down your throat

Scrubs, I don't know about the St Ives scrub but I think should be all right.

Re: cramping - wow, you're having your braxton hicks contractions, most probs! Yay, your body is preparing you for the REAL contractions. Definitely OK to alleviate that with massaging.

You know I love to hear your opinions anytime, always good to know more perspectives.

About slinging, I did thought of getting a 3-way aprica carrier for the beginning, then 'graduate' her to a stroller when I can no longer carry/sling properly as time goes by. But I also know that babies love being slinged/carried alot more, and the more they're used to it, the harder to wean them off and get them to be comfy in a stroller. So I'm sticking to a stroller from beginning so that she'll be used to it as early as possible.

I thought braxton hicks contractions start only in third tri when its near EDD, no? But well, as long as its good for my baby I'm fine with the cramping (after all, I should be glad that my bad nausea and morning sickness ceased these days lol!). Just a little worrying at times when I'm not sure if its BHC or not, cause I'll start wondering if everything's okay. Anyway, how do you tell the difference between BHC and regular cramping? Or are all cramping BHC? I also read that BHC are supposedly *painless* tightening feeling at uterus area? Sorry for my many questions.

Comment

playpen

momopeach, which playpen are you using?

Mag, do you have a playpen?

I need to get a playpen only because I'll not be having help, and I'll need somewhere safe to put baby when I'm toileting/cooking/cleaning. My baby will not be spending much time playing inside the playpen apart from that. For this reason, I'm considering buying the most basic playpen I can get. Just wondering, if price makes a diff in terms of safety when it comes to playpens? Anything I should know if I'm gonna get a cheap & basic one? Or is there another alternative to playpen in my case? Suggestions anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X