Pregnancy Nutrition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy Nutrition

Ariel, NO ginseng (I'm referring to Ren Shen here, as for Pao Shen, I'm not too sure) allowed! :note: To share what I know on herbs, Ginseng can cause complications during pregnancies. And, NO dang gui too, dang gui is a herb used to terminate early pregnancies in olden victorian times, can cause excessive bleeding of uterus when contractions happen before labour., can also cause premature contractions. I also found out that Huai(2) Shan(1) is another no-no herb for pregnancies.
    The only 'safe' tonics to take would be chicken essence and bird's nest. I boil black chicken with black beans + red dates + wolfberries regularly, very nutritious and healthy, good for preggies to take. My MIL has also been very sweet to me, she buys me bird's nest and makes me nutritous soups every week too

I read about ginseng being not good for pregnant ladies too but I think my MIL cooked pao seng for me and it was only for the first to second months. Now she cooks black chicken but I only drink the soup..hehe..

I drink bird nest too and is it ok to boil it with coconut juice? I tried it once. Some say it can be too 'cool'...what do you think?

Comment

hi :wave:

what should pregnant women eat or not eat??

i heard pregnant women should not to have caffeine (tea, cola, coffee), alcohol, artificial sweeteners, too much fish (due to mercury poison), meats, chicken & fish should be cooked well... anything else?

Comment

supposedly, mothers should eat balanced 'normal' diets so their kids will have less chance of developing food intolerances/allergies. not sure how true this is!

but lots of bird's nest! good for your skin. and baby too. (though not good for the poor bird)

Comment

Be careful of bird's nest though, it can trigger off allergic reactions.

http://www.sma.org.sg/concern_health...allergies.html

Quoting from the article:

Children with the genetic propensity for allergies have a strong tendency to react to common environmental allergens by producing allergic antibodies. It appears that environmental factors, particularly in early life, is also important. These environmental interactions may take place as early as in pregnancy.

Often the earliest clinical manifestations of allergies in infancy are eczema and food allergy symptoms. The skin and the gastrointestinal tract are therefore the first organs to be afflicted with allergic disease, and allergy to food tends to develop before inhalants. Certain foods are classified as highly allergenic in infancy. The common food allergens are cows? milk, chicken eggs, and soy protein. These food allergens appear to be important universally, including Singapore. Other food allergens, which tend to be more of a problem after infancy, are peanuts, tree nuts, fish and crustacean seafood. Uniquely, Bird?s Nest is an important food allergen amongst Singaporean children.

Never expected this. I always thought it was either a good or 'neutral' food!

Comment

Re: Pregnancy Nutrition

Originally posted by mango
            I boil black chicken with black beans + red dates + wolfberries regularly, very nutritious and healthy, good for preggies to take.
            Oooh! Red dates are fab for blood circulation and good milk supply

Comment

Originally posted by Ariel
              I read about ginseng being not good for pregnant ladies too but I think my MIL cooked pao seng for me and it was only for the first to second months. Now she cooks black chicken but I only drink the soup..hehe..

I drink bird nest too and is it ok to boil it with coconut juice? I tried it once. Some say it can be too 'cool'...what do you think?
              I keep hearing everyone tell me (even the lady working at chinese medical shop) that coconut juice is a super-liang(cooling) food, will cause coughing babies. On the other hand, I also hear that coconut juice should ba taken, but only in last few weeks before your EDD, because it will give your baby nice and smooth skin because coconut juice has 'clearing and cleansing' properties. I doubt any of these are medically proven though. But like what my gynea says "Everything in moderation. If you have food cravings, go ahead and eat a little. A little of any food will not hurt (doesnt apply tp medicine and herbs of course)".
              I used to love coconut juice, so I think I'll be taking a little in my third tri.

Comment

Originally posted by hula_girl
                hi :wave:

what should pregnant women eat or not eat??

i heard pregnant women should not to have caffeine (tea, cola, coffee), alcohol, artificial sweeteners, too much fish (due to mercury poison), meats, chicken & fish should be cooked well... anything else?

From what I read: also no soft/unpastuerised cheeses (contamination) or raw milk, no cold cuts (heat it before eating) or other cold cooked food that is left for more than 15 min after cooking (bacteria contamination), hotdogs/sausages, MSG. There are quite a few more which I can't remember anymore (I was more disciplined duriing first tri ).
                For me, the only things I avoid is: raw/partially cooked food, cold cuts, alcohol, coffee, artificial sweeteners. I still enjoy my occasional (not so often) iced lemon tea, instant noodles and hotdogs.

Comment

My mother was horrified when she heard that I had cooked the bird nest with coconut juice. She said it's too 'liang' so I stopped cooking my bird nest with coconut juice after that. I asked the physician at the chinese medical hall that I went to and he said the same thing. He did say that I could do that once in a while, but not too often.

I also heard that it's good to drink coconut juice during the last few weeks for the same reason that you mentioned. They also said it'll help prevent jaundice in the baby though I don't know how true that is. Oh ya, green bean soup is good for this purpose too

I get cravings for potato chips, twisters and carbonated drinks (100 plus and sarsi) sometimes. Are they bad for the baby? I also drink coke (a cup) once in a while. I've stopped drinking tea and coffee and no alcohol as well.

Comment

I get cravings for potato chips, twisters and carbonated drinks (100 plus and sarsi) sometimes. Are they bad for the baby? I also drink coke (a cup) once in a while. I've stopped drinking tea and coffee and no alcohol as well.
                    I guess the 'bad' factor about these food is because they're high in salt, sugar, colouring(carbonated drinks) and MSG(the chips). But then, it'll be quite miserable to refrain from *all* junk food and to eat a perfect diet, right? So, for me, I play strictly by the 'Moderation is best and safest' rule. I still succumb to sarsi, chips and other junk food once in a while. After all, a happy mummy produces a happy baby! No point being perfectly healthy and miserable right?

Comment

That's the mentality I adopt too. I was munching on Twisties at work the other day and a collleague asked me how come I was always eating junk food with lots of colouring. Her tone of voice was quite accusatory and made me feel really bad. It was like she was saying that I was not giving the best to my baby when I ate junk food.

Comment

That's the mentality I adopt too. I was munching on Twisties at work the other day and a collleague asked me how come I was always eating junk food with lots of colouring. Her tone of voice was quite accusatory and made me feel really bad. It was like she was saying that I was not giving the best to my baby when I ate junk food.
                        hey, don't feel bad for pampering yourself! Anyway, babies in our womb are alot smarter than what we often give them credit for- they are like super parasites(yeah, this is the term my gynea used to assure me LOL!), they will derive the best from our diet and our bodies. If we're not getting adequate nutrition or eating a really lousy diet, the first thing to give way is our own health, and even then, the baby might not be badly affected. Our bodies are deisgned to protect give only the best to our baby. So don't worry, no harm indulging in some 'comfort food' once in a while. As long as you feel good physically and not unwell/sick, then your baby's doign great!

Comment

Thanks for assuring me, mango! I don't feel so bad about it now.

Comment

Is it true that pregnant women should not eat watermelon and pineapple?

Comment

In my opinion, you can eat anything as long as it's not raw and soft cheese...and yes, moderation is the key. A slice of watermelon and pineapple are fine, i had them when i was preggie too. As for coconut water, i drank them during my 3rd trimester, half a coconut every week. Next to my gynae's clinic is a fruit store and i love thai coconuts, so sweet and refreshing, but dared not drink too much cos i got gestational diabetes. As for whether it helps to make the baby skin nice and smooth, i seriously do not know.

Comment

Working...
                              X