Formula Feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula Feeding

Does anyone here feed or supplement with formula milk? If so, what brand? Is there such a thing as a 'best' brand? How does a mother go about choosing FM?

I thought it'll be good to know not only about BM but also about FF. No harm having more general knowledge. After all, *if* for any reason I need to supplement or FF, I wouldn't want to be stuck not knowing what to do/buy.

I supplement BF with infant formula when I'm too busy to pump out milk. That's Similac Excellence. Was also not sure what IF to give at first, so sought Doc's and friends' advice. The answers I got were individual's choice. However, I did get some comments from nurses and friends on certain brands of IF. Was told that IF like S26 can be heaty for the baby, ENfalac can be fattening, etc. So I ended up supplementing with Similac coz was advised that its taste is closest to Breast milk. Also that happened to be the IF given by the hospital then. I was lucky that my baby took to it without problem, no allergy or dislike, so I stayed on with it. I think most importantly is to check if baby is allergic to the brand of IF, and the rest is individual choice like what the doc advised. :choice:

Comment

created a new thread especially for Formula-Feeding to keep things neat!

Comment

My six-month-old niece has been drinking Enfalac since birth but she's normal-sized for her age. Is Enfalac really fattening? :huh:

Comment

well that's just hearsay from friends around and the nurses in the clinic I go to. Coincidentally, my 1-year-old niece who takes Enfalac, has grown really huge, though my bro and SIL are slim. Of course, there's no medical evidence that Enfalac will cause babies to be fat, or it's fattening. Perhaps it's just coincidence that some who take Enfalac happens to be extra chubby. :bye:

Comment

Oh, another option is goat's milk. But I haven't the contact atm for infant formula made from goat's milk..will try to find out.

Comment

my gal is tunring 4 mths next week.... she is on similac excellence as well.... used *** as it was the brand supplied by the hospital and bcos she arrived 2 wks earlier, we *** really prepared which FM to use if BF fails..... so to make sure my hubby dun anyhow buy, i asked him to stick to similac... my gal has been growing along fine drinking it.... did hear *** its the closest to BM but some swore by NAN and said its the best.... guess its individual preference.... as long as baby is fine after drinking, then can stickt to it...

Comment

I heard there's a soya alternative too... but no other details on that, sorry.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, the soya alternative is Isomil. It is good for babies with lactose intolerance

Comment

All formulae milk is the same in my opinion. No best FM.

My elder girl used to take a mixture of brands (free ones), we didn't stick to one brand. My younger dd was total breastfeed.

Some people claim that S26 will make babies chubby , but my nephew remain skinny

Comment

Ahem...

A gentle reminder to STICK TO THE TOPIC. I will delete all future posts with references to breastfeeding in this thread.

And I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries by saying this:
                      CozyCot is NOT the place for the breastmilk vs formula debate. Feel free to discuss the best way of providing either to your child, but there are plenty of other resources and avenues for you to explore their relative merits.

Comment

hmm...just my $0.02's.

I feel that its perfectly fine (not to mention informative for new mums) to be exposed to all opinions regarding whatever topic, including BF and FF. Its just like a thread asking for commercial brand recommendations of pressed eyeshadows can surely benefit from the contribution and views of a loose mineral e/s fan?

Since this section is dedicated to mothers on CC and even named CozyMom, surely FF vs BF is an approprioate discussion topic? :huh:

Er...sorry if I'm not being reasonable, but I really think BM vs FF is not really that inapproproate to discuss here?

Comment

Call me a wimp, but when people feel so strongly about an issue, I see the potential for a lot of unhappiness, which wouldn't do anyone any good. Strangely enough (hah!) this is a far more contentious issue than pressed vs loose eyeshadows.

If you guys really want to, why not start a thread on BM vs FM? It would be great for those who're unsure about why breastfeeding is advocated by many. When a thread is titled Breastfeeding, or Formula Feeding, it's not unreasonable to assume that the participants have already made their (educated or otherwise) decision on the issue. I think it's unfair to then be taken to task for something which everyone agrees is a personal decision.

Comment

You are right. It's true that this is a ff thread and not a whether bm is better thread

Will delete my previous post as it was a reaction to another post and not constructive nor relevant to this thread.

Comment

Okay then I deleted my post already, IMO there is no better FM milk. I read that goat is better in making milk suitable for human babies thou.

Comment

Working...
                              X