Mommys' Birthing Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mommys' Birthing Stories

I was wondering if any mommies out there would like to share their experiences of their labour and the baby's birth?

My own mum tells me her story from time to time, and it never fails to get me really engrossed. At parts it's quite scary, yet fascinating, happy and emotional too!

I think it would be really interesting and touching. Perhaps there maybe things that we could learn from it too?

>>>to all the mums!

Here's some birth stories from ladies who gave birth in Singapore:
    http://www.parentlink.org/Stories/intro.htm

I only read one of them, which is the one whereby the lady had a home birth. Thought that was amazing cos home birth in Singapore is so rare, I almost thought it was not possible!

Birth stories that usually catches my attention are the ones either on home birth or water birth. Guess, its because these two methods are very uncommon in Singapore and I am curious.

Comment

naughtygirl, after seeing the link that you posted, I thought it would be a good idea to post another.

I found this on Handbag.com, which might provide a really interesting read

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygirl
        Here's some birth stories from ladies who gave birth in Singapore:
        http://www.parentlink.org/Stories/intro.htm

I only read one of them, which is the one whereby the lady had a home birth. Thought that was amazing cos home birth in Singapore is so rare, I almost thought it was not possible!

Birth stories that usually catches my attention are the ones either on home birth or water birth. Guess, its because these two methods are very uncommon in Singapore and I am curious.
        naughtygirl, I am also intrigued by western methods of births....esp those that require as little medical intervention as possible...Somehow I am hoping that when my time comes, I'll be able to give this kind of "natural birth methods" a try...

here's hoping *cross fingers*

Comment

i'm personally intrigued by water births wonder if any ladies here are intending to try it/have heard of people doing it locally??

Comment

Fantasia--> thanks for the link.

Chox & islande--> I will be giving birth for the first time in October. With no first hand experience, I am going to the hospital and will be ever ready to ask for epidural (I have no idea what my threshold for pain is and I want it to be a happy experience & I am a scaredy cat, haha).

But, with this first experience and a good and normal pregnancy in the future, who knows I may go for a water birth for subsequent pregnancy. I heard water births really reduce the pain and its natural. In fact, nowadays though water birth/home birth is still not popular, many have been getting a doula to help them have a birth experience as natural as possible.

Comment

Hmm..I think its just me, but the idea of water and home birth doesn't appeal to me at all. Sounds too uncertain.

For me, I'll be opting for natural delivery when I deliver my baby in Sept. No gas, no injections, no epidural, no drugs, whatsoever. I plan on experiencing every min of the experience. Don't wanna risk being nauseous/ groggy/ having headache when baby is finally in my arms. Heh, can't wait.

Comment

Me opting for easiest way out. Epidural, gas... bring it on! I have a low pain threshold.

Episotomy I'm hoping for a partial cut to guide the tear if any, and hopefully only if needed, only if quite stretched already (read it's unwise to cut when not stretched- problem with muscle healing).

Enema I'm hoping I did my bowels naturally some time before, but if I didn't, I suppose I will have it. I'm not worried about making a mess during labour, just not that keen on sticking something up my butt.

Catheter for urine... sigh, if I must, I suppose I will. If I can do without, of course I will prefer not to have even the tiny tube stuck up my bladder.

Not into home or water or doula, just hubby next to me will be fine. But I think I will not let him see the show going on... I suspect he's liable to have some sexual issues after that. Maybe he can stand sideways to cut the umbilical cord?

My... relative... keeps asking if I will have C-section or vaginal birth despite me repeatedly explaining that it's too early at this stage for me to CONFIRM which method. Of course I won't want a C-section for no good reason, and will opt for vaginal birth if possible. But if medically warranted nearer delivery or during labour, then of course I will C-section! That goes for induction and all other means, must see situation nearer the EDD (eg. if looking overdue then perhaps try the sex and tea methods)/ situation during labour.

Comment

Does anyone know the meaning of when the gynae does an ARM (before epidural, while not fully dilated)? It's supposed to be rather painful and I have no idea what ARM means. Anyone has ideas?

Comment

This sounds good. I think I'd be "kiasu" (over-anxious) and buy this... as soon as it's back in stock, hiaz. http://www.momsinmind.com.sg/soothingsoak.html

Comment

i think mag had a home birth for her second one?

Comment

Strangely I am not worried about the birthing process and the pain that associates with it. Maybe the reality that I will be giving birth in another five months just hasn't hit home yet

Anyway, I am VERY worried about episiotomy. I really really really don't want to have one if it can be helped. I think I have to tell my doc to only cut when it's absolutely necessary. I also read that during pelvic floor exercises and massaging the perinum before delivery help

Comment

Ariel, that was my initial reaction too. Esp when I heard of stories from friends who had to sit on floats after episotomy. Told hubby b4 hand not to let the gynae do so unless really necessary.

But when you are in labor, for more than 10 hrs, you will let the dr do anything just to get the baby out, and get done with.

Comment

About how to get baby into anterior position for labour http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/544493.html

"Excerpts...
                            ? Sit on a cushion in your car to lift your bottom up

? Check that your favourite chair doesn't make your bottom go down and your knees come up

? Take regular breaks and move around if your job involves a lot of sitting

? Watch television on all fours for ten minutes every day

? Scrub all your floors and skirting boards ? our grannies used to say that washing the kitchen floor was a good way of preparing for labour. And they were right! When you are on all fours, the back of your baby's head swings to the front of your abdomen."

Scrub floors! Oh no! Hubby will probably tell me to try it...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarplum
                              Ariel, that was my initial reaction too. Esp when I heard of stories from friends who had to sit on floats after episotomy. Told hubby b4 hand not to let the gynae do so unless really necessary.

But when you are in labor, for more than 10 hrs, you will let the dr do anything just to get the baby out, and get done with.
                              Hi sugarplum

I had a talk with my gynae regarding episiotomy the other day and he assured me that he'd only do it when it's necessary. He did say that it's better to have it done, rather than let the perineum tear on its own accord because it'd be very messy and difficult to suture the tear later. I think I am convinced that it's good though it'd bring a lot of inconvenience.

Comment

Working...
                              X