Pacifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacifier

my 4 months old daughter's pacifier is a real life saver.... it makes her calm down when she is crying for whatever reasons... however, i worry that she might get hooked on the pacifier and will be hard to kick this habit when she's older.... any experiences to share? or any surefire way to make her quit the pacifier?

I'm no expert on this cos my baby is only 3 mths old. She is not dependent on the pacifier cos I didn't start her with one. I think the only surefire way to make her quit the pacifier is to go cold turkey (take the pacifier away from her). Of course she will be fussy and crying when she doesn't get her pacifier, and I know it's difficult to not give in to her wailing. But after awhile, she will realise that she is NOT getting it. It's all a matter of getting used to, and who gives in first, in my opinion. And also think about this: It's probably easier to quit now than when she is 1 yr old. Hope this helps!

Comment

Not like she can buy her own new pacifier if you cut hers up. Oh, abit "evil" but that's how I rationalise pacifiers vs thumb-sucking (though the best would be NEITHER haha, see how things go... if the desire's not there then I could possibly get away with neither).

My hubby has a bad habit of scratching at a specific scab and REFUSES to stop, I can't imagine having to nag at hubby not to scratch his scab and baby not to suck her/ his thumb, all day long. Would drive me nuts. I can't very well cut off their body parts (am KIDDING) but an external object like a pacifier I certainly have some control over.

Comment

Maybe I should stick a pacifier in hubby's mouth everytime he scratches his scab.

Comment

which is better if really no choice? she is sucking her hands (not just the fingers!!) alot nowadays and sometimes get saliva all over her face... i try to stop *** by plugging the pacifier into her mouth... heard *** sucking fingers too much will result in badly formed teeth in future... how true is that?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the hand/ fingers sucking right now. She is fun-exploring now. This is all new to her. The only few body parts she can sorta have control of right now are her mouth and her hands. Of course she is gonna use them! As she gets older, she will probably wean off her own hands or fingers. Cos by then, she will probably wanna hold on/ grab other more inyteresting things than her hands! lol.

Not sure about the badly deformed teeth thingy. Even if it's true, I think it will probably only occur during teething. Maybe try doing a search on the internet?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the teeth. Baby teeth after all.

Comment

Nothing too worrying about giving baby pacifier, they will throw off the habit once they learn to mix with other kids or way long before that when they take solid food.

Comment

bubblebath- I sucked on my middle three fingers and not my thumb when I was little, and I can proudly say that I have near perfect teeth without the aid of any braces, so dont worry too much unless her fingers are in her mouth 24/7!

Comment

its really reassuring to hear this from you pixash... at least i dun haf to worry too much abt her teeth...

Comment

my baby loves sucking on her mittens to bits! but i have no complains about it, i dont like babies to be sucking on a pacifier.
                      i would change her mittens every now & then when it gets too wet .i personally don't think that sucking on anything would affect teeth development

Comment

sucking thumb???.... for teeth becoming protruding isn't that bad as can always go for braces... but in severe cases it's the upper plate of the mouth that is push outwards and that could be difficult to rectify.

I think it depends on the infant/baby's age... but it is a good think to try to cut down in facifier/thumb sucking once becoming a toddler.

Comment

My mom told me that when i turn almost 3,she wanted me to stop using the pacifier because it will affect the growth of my teeth or somthing. Anyway,to make me quit the pacifier, she actually secretly rub chilli on the pacifier, YEs! Red Hot CHILLI! And that made me HATE and even fear all pacifiers, so i dont use them anymore. Guess it works... though abit cruel.. to me
                          Last edited by NiteyLychee; 02-06-2004, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel171103kev
                            I wouldn't worry about the teeth. Baby teeth after all.
                            The way the baby teeth grow and space is very important for the permanent teeth.

Comment

The way the baby teeth grow and space (and look) in the 1st place is probably genetically determined anyway. I say this because looking at my parents-in-laws teeth... and then my hubby's teeth, I'm bracing myself (pun intended ) for a certain amount of expense on my baby's teeth. I do not think an overbite on the lower jaw is a "lucky or auspicious" sign, unlike a certain relative's view.

Comment

Working...
                              X