Diapers & Nappies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diapers & Nappies

Need recommendations on diapers, be it disposable or cloth or the newer versions of cloth nappies

Which brand, price, performance?

For confinement I'm getting mummy's help so was hoping to save the environment and my money the non-disposable route.

At first heard that the newer cloth nappies eg. http://www.parenthings.com/diapercatalog.htm#night are over-priced (defeats purpose of saving money).
    Then heard it keeps babies comfortable and dry much better than traditional cloth.
    Finally heard that if I don't choose Pampers disposables ie. cheaper brands, it doesn't burn that big a hole in wallet, as I envisaged. So may not be worth my water and detergent and coping with the yuckiness of washing cloths. (Considering newer cloth nappies incurs "inserts" costs, while traditional cloth nappies incurs disposable "liners" costs).

So now I'm all confused.
    Last edited by Medusa; 26-05-2004, 11:40 AM.

Heh, so why not use washable ones during confinement when your mum's around to help, and then change to disposables after she goes back?

For me, its gonna be disposables all the way. Brand-wise, based on what I heard, its gonna be either Pampers or Dryers or Pet Pet.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking if I can just dump the cloths into a pail to soak and maybe STIR abit (I can use a TONG pretty much like what cleaners use hehehe, so I don't have to touch directly hah!), then transfer to my washer, it might be do-able?

Problem is traditional cloth nappies are kind of flimsy, what with folding and pinning and being so thin, they're really not suited for going out (then I have to buy disposables anyway and might not be able to finish the pack before baby outgrows). Then again they do sell a waterproof thingy (whatever that's called) OVER the cloth nappy.

The newer cloth diapers have a waterproof layer pretty much like disposables. And they don't have all that folding and pinning. However they are pretty pricey and they come in sizes which the baby may outgrow. (Edit: Oops, forgot about this http://www.bumwear.com/bumwearcd.html that's supposed to grow with baby, maybe I'd get this instead hmm).

Another concern is with disposables, it's new costs being incurred over and over with each baby. With cloths (whether traditional or newer), it's "recyclable" for the next baby to save money.
      Last edited by Medusa; 26-05-2004, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I'm considering this, as an experiment of sorts:
        (I) Bumwear Cloth Diaper : $25 x 11 = $275
        http://www.bumwear.com/bumwearcd.html
        (newborns-4mths use up to 10 diapers daily, as they're older, less. Daily washer-dryer. Prefer this supposedly newborn-to-30mths adjustable diaper over FuzziBun which costs too much to upgrade in sizes.)

(II) BABYKICKS HEMPAROO? JOEY-BUNZ small-size inserts : $8.10 x 15 = $121.50
        http://www.parenthings.com/diapercat...tm#Accessories
        (sounds more absorbent than Bumwear's- may not fit exactly but can fold or spread out? Use 1-3 depending on pee... I suspect breastfed babies release more fluids. Also daily washer-dryer.)

(III) Detergent, washer, dryer : $?
        (hold diapers with tong, rinse with spray, dump in pail of vinegar water. Use tongs to transfer to washer-dryer.)

= TOTAL $397.50 excluding unknown component (III), usable up to 30mths, recyclable for subsequent babies. Compared to disposables cost of $1800-$3000 for each baby (depending on which source, to be fair take the lower range perhaps).

I think $400 is quite okay for my experiment even if it should fail halfway?

Comment

I bought 8 Bumwear cloth diapers for $180 (10% discount), will make up the shortfall with FOC hand-me-down traditional cloth diapers, since a newborn needs 10 changes daily. By the time baby is more mobile, I can chuck the lousy leaky traditional cloth diapers (I bet they leak lots when babies start to move!) to rely fully on the Bumwear, since less diaper changes daily then.

The Bumwears are surprisingly attractive, well-made and oh-so-softly comfortable, I'm rather reluctant to cover them with other clothing so I think I'd go with just simple tees. Except that newborns don't seem to wear tees, only bodysuits and jumpers?

I just need to buy suitable diaper soaker inserts, 2 tongs and a pail with lid, and wait for the baby to pop, to kick off this experiment!

(Oh and I bought a matching shirt for hubby, so he can wear the same shirt material as the baby's... diaper. )

Comment

Originally posted by mel171103kev
            (Oh and I bought a matching shirt for hubby, so he can wear the same shirt material as the baby's... diaper. )
            This is so cute. If he is not aware that you brought it, you can give it to him on father's day (should make quite a cute gift?!?).

Comment

heh heh girls, my mum told me last time that Pampers were really hot and thick. but i don't know about that now, what with the new technologies and all. another brand to consider - Huggies? (don't know if they make these anymore. i used them when i was little )

Comment

Tanya, took your idea and gave to hubby on behalf of baby... as early Father's Day pressie (I don't know when it falls on exactly haha). He thought it was cute (and it gives me an opportunity to lay the guilt trip on him since I didn't get a Mother's Day present hah)!

He found the diapers very cute too- I was half asleep by the time he returned and he started squealing so I was awoken by his babbling (about how cute they were).

Comment

You make me smile. Firstly, this part (thought its mean in a nice way):

He thought it was cute (and it gives me an opportunity to lay the guilt trip on him since I didn't get a Mother's Day present hah)!
                  Secondly, this (just so sweet & nice):

He found the diapers very cute too- I was half asleep by the time he returned and he started squealing so I was awoken by his babbling (about how cute they were).)

Comment

Btw, my 7-month-old niece has a fungus infection around her private area and buttocks. I wonder if using a nappy cream will help prevent it. Every book that I read talks about how it's better to use a nappy cream before the rash develops so as to prevent it but my SIL doesn't believe in using nappy cream. She said 'other people' told her it's not good to use too much of it. For what reason, I don't know. Those people don't even have any evidence that it's not good yet they go around telling people that it's not good.

I was also wondering if it was her cleaning practice that caused the baby to get the fungus infection. I observed her wiping the baby's buttocks after she 'pooed pooed' yesterday and she only used ONE PIECE of cleansing wipes and that's it. No rinsing with water, no nothing else! No wonder the baby often gets rashes. *shakes head*

Comment

Arrrrk! Only 1 piece of baby wipe after poo poo?
                      I usually use 2 pcs when baby pees, and at least 4 or 5 pcs for poo poo.

Poor baby. Hope she feels better soon.

Comment

I was quite shocked when I saw that she had only used one piece so I asked her. She said it was clean already. I would definitely use 4-5 pieces at least because I am paranoid that there's some leftover poo poo stuck to her buttocks etc. I guess she's brought up to be frugal but come on, baby's health is much more important than money and they aren't poor at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariel

I was also wondering if it was her cleaning practice that caused the baby to get the fungus infection. I observed her wiping the baby's buttocks after she 'pooed pooed' yesterday and she only used ONE PIECE of cleansing wipes and that's it. No rinsing with water, no nothing else! No wonder the baby often gets rashes. *shakes head*
                          You are right. She is way too lax about cleaning a baby's sensitive skin (what more the private parts!) The ideal would be to rinse. I've found that that always helped clear up any rash. I was a little lax too with my second one and kept using wipes but nappy rash got me soaping/rinsing! VOILA! Rash cleared for good!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, mag I am super paranoid when it comes to cleaning so I will definitely make sure that my baby is properly cleaned after every pee and poo

Hi mel, good for your gf. I have another scan due in two weeks so I hope to see that my placenta has moved up.

Comment

About nappy rash cream... wahhh... 1 *tiny* tube is quite expensive, think I need to buy in BULK!
                              You don't really need a lot, in fact I didn't use much at all (think the tiny Burts Bees sachet in the Baby Bees starter pack, with leftover cream even!). If you wash regularly after pooing, you'll find you probbably never need it. I only used it when the little one developed some rash (because of wipes usage instead of washing) When it cleared up, I stopped using altogether.

Comment

Working...
                              X