C-section & Vaginal Birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-section & Vaginal Birth

Any mommy went thru C-section due to medical reason?

Were you awake when it was done? Please share your experience. Thank you

Me! By 35th week or so, the baby's head was still abridged, didn;t turn downwards, so had to have a C-section.

You can choose if you want to be asleep or just half body numb. My gynie told me if asleep and fully unconcious is abit more dangerous, cos you will need the breathing tube to help you breathe. And for half body numb, she said you absolutely cannot feel a thing. So I chose the latter.

I never had any surgery before, so I was nervous as hell. Abt 30 mins before surgery, the nurse gave me some liquid med (can't remember the name), but it's to prevent me from vomitting out of nervous-ness. At that point, I was thinking, "God, it can't be that bad, can it? I'm nervous but not that nervous"

Guess what? When I was lying on the operating table, waiting for everything to go, I had gotten so nervous that I felt sick to the stomach, so sick that I felt like I was gonna puke right there and then. I told the gynie, "Wait!!!!! I cannot do this. I'm gonna puke!" lol but true. They quickily gave me a jab of something to calm me down.

And like what my gynie said, you won't feel much pain at all. Even when the doctors are pulling / pushing the baby out, it just feels like some strong pressure on your stomach, that's all.

When the mid-wife brought me my daughter, and I'm seeing her face for the 1st time, I was happy I cried. Awwww My daughter weighed abt 8 pounds, was a rather big newborn, so maybe c-section for me wasn't such a bad thing afterall.

But the recovery after c-section is hell I was in bed most of the time for the first 2 weeks. Never in my life have I felt so disabled.

Naughtygirl, are you thinking of c-section?

Comment

I used to work at the OT of a hospital and I have seen my share of C-Sections. It's actually a very simple and straight-forward process and generally takes less than an hour. The baby is usually out in about 5-10 minutes and the rest of the time is spent on stitching the mother's tummy up. You can opt for a general anaesthesia (fully asleep) or a epidural/spinal one which is partial anaesthesia. If you opt for the latter, you'll still be conscious and alert but you won't feel any pain during the surgery.

Read about more info here.

Comment

Thank you momopeach for sharing. I could almost feel what you felt as I read your experience (the fear of having a c-section while awake).

I am definitely opting for a virginal birth but I like to be prepared (especially mentally). Thank you ariel too for your info. But for me, its more of a mental/psychological preparation that I need if I suddenly find out that I have to have a c-section. Its not easy being cut open while awake and I think all ladies who have done it are so brave

Comment

dear all, was now trying hard to have a baby.. heard it all for C-Section & natural birth..

my 2nd sis who go for C-Sec.. told me to do so cos personally she thinks that 1) hips won't grow big after birth (as natural birth will??) 2) don't have to go thru labour pain 3)don't have to get stitched on virginal as after birth some of them might have constipation and that kinda pain is undurable.. 4) not pain after birth when having sex again.... beside all these she slim down pretty fast.. (around 3rd month she only left with the small tummy)

my 3rd sis who go for natural birth (never commend on anything, but curse & swear she won't want a second baby)- she can go cycling with me 1 mth after she gave birth!( it's true!) But she slim down very slowly.. even now her son is already 1 yr + still have not lost her extra pounds that she gain from her pregnancy.

what you girls susgest? my hubby said everything up to me..

Comment

Momopeach, you're really very brave.
            I wouldn't dare opt for a local anaesthesia for my C-sect (baby's abridged), so went for a full GA. The end result - regrets - as it all ended so quickly. Just remember being shooed to the Operating Theatre, lay on that cold, hard, clinical steel bed. Next moment I fell asleep and when the nurse woke me, I learnt I've 'given birth'. I felt disappointed with myself that I've not witnessed the birth. So Momopeach, I really salute you and all others for being so brave.

However, I was lucky as the cut was a pretty neat one and the gynae applied this gel to seal it up - only tiny stitches at the 2 ends. Recovered very quickly as I managed to sit up and walk the next day. Gynae promised I could have natural delivery the next time round.

True indeed, I had a normal delivery for my 2nd child. Wow, this time, I felt it was a real painful but wonderful experience. I could feel the baby's head pushing its way out. And I had to give it all to push it out - goodness, what an experience and a 'load' off when it slip out. I shed some tears too when I saw it in the doc's hands.

I would encourage all mums to go for natural births if all's ok, but if there's a need for C-sect, and if gynae allows, really be brave to go for local anaesthesia. It'll be a real experience.

:bestwish

Comment

Like cassia, I had a vbac (vaginal birth after Caesarean). Painful but worth all the mobility and lucidity it gave, which a C-section deprived me of.

That said, I recovered very well from it, my baby latched on well and I only had minor pnb.

However, bear in mind that a C-section is an major abdominal surgery and that in itself bears risks. Repeat C-sections also increases the risk of future complications.

Do weigh your pros and cons before deciding to have a scheduled C-section. And do read up on the benefits of a natural birth - to me personally, they far outweigh the pros of a C-section.

C-sections are more common here in SG - we have one of the highest rates of c-Sections in Asia and I don't think that's a record we should be proud of.

In SG, C-sections are commonly conducted without a pressing medical need and ironically, it is medical intervention (induction for eg) during the process of natural, normal labour that often leads to a real need of C-Section!

http://www.childbirth.org/section/section.html has good information.

Comment

Unless its deemed absolutely necessary or crucial by my gynea, I'll not want to have a C section. I want to deliver my baby naturally, and when baby is out, I want to be fully awake (that's why I don't even want Epidural) to enjoy that moment with hubby to the fullest possible.

Comment

Please pardon me, but wouldn't you be fully awake too when you have epidural?

Had a friend who went through emergency c-section with epidural. She enjoyed all the first moments with her baby after that

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
                    Please pardon me, but wouldn't you be fully awake too when you have epidural?
                    In some cases, an epidural can cause side effects like drowsines, nausea, headaches, etc. And sometimes, the drowsiness affects the baby as well. When I say I want to be fully awake, I mean without drowsiness and all other epidural-induced physical side-effects.

I'm not very against a C-sect nor do I think everyone else should think like me, I just don't like the idea of having one performed on me and am just sharing my views.

Comment

Actually epidural should not give rise to maternal drowsiness But whatever it is, I know what you are driving at and you have my full respect for that

Comment

Actually, every woman reacts differently to epidural. There are indeed women who were drowsy, headachy (very common complaint among some of the moms I know), nauseous. One even had to undergo brain surgery immediately after, as complications arose out of the administration of epidural. Backaches are common too and I know a mother who has never been able to shake off the ache that came directly as a result of the epi.

Conversely, there are women who have had no side effects at all!

So it's all a matter of whether you're willing to take the risk to achieve a desired outcome.

Comment

Yes, I understand that everyone react differently, that is why I say *should not* as in not indicated in medical literature

Any form of drug intervention will carry some risk of its own I suppose, the most common I have heard of for epidural is uncontrollable shivers and nausea. But the thought of having to go through an au natural childbirth in future kind of freak me out

Comment

Oh, wasn't aware that you were speaking medically.

Re: epi - Yes, and not to mention the drug would cross over to the baby!

Labour can be a trial of fire, but a good one and you might find that if you actively try to alleviate the discomforts of labour (eg, massages, having a doula, warm compresses), the pain might not be as bad as in managed labour (eg, induction, strapped to machines, lack of mobility). It is good pain so to speak, creating stress hormones to help baby breathe better and adjust to survival outside the womb.

But I guess you already know all that since you seem to be medically trained?

I was frightened of the pain too! Sounded very scary from many people but reading up helped A LOT as did conviction.

I am not fond of pain myself and am quite a laidback person but if someone like me (so n.u.a.h) can go through natural birth, I think anyone can ! So :bestwish to you Vonnie!

Comment

***... really admire you girls... brave brave
                              i'm that kind of girl who will cry even there's a small cut on my fingers. Really want a baby badly.. but kinda freak me out too once i thought of the pain.. imagine labour pain..

Comment

Working...
                              X