Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese name for babies

Hi,

Anyone has any idea where you get ideas on Chinese names. I mean you can think of one and check dictionary later... But I have some problems thinking of Chinese name for my boy.. Have idea on Chinese name for girls but not boy... sign...

Also, my sister in law who just give birth - has only just English name and surname for her boy - no dialect name - is it common to you?

i will probably leave the chinese name to my in laws in case they have to follow the family names...if you are free to choose and not too picky , you can name your baby after some hong kong celebrity or TCS actors? at least their name is "proven" and won't turn out to have another meaning which could be made fun of.

What i find trendy is choosing a single chinese name...so you get the surname and one chinese character.. but i don't think my in laws would settle for a single name.

Not having a chinese name is a bit too extreme. i might use the english name (christian name) more often but can't let my kid not have a chinese name...

Comment

To us, dialect name is a thing of the past. But, before you judge, there is more I want to say. We are proud of our chinese roots and definitely will give our child a chinese name.

In her birth cert, besides her english name, her chinese name will be written in chinese character and there will be her han yu pin yin name too.

Han yu pin yin is important because thats how her chinese name is pronounced (sounds). But, dialect name serves no purpose (only people trying to distort their childrens' chinese name to go with their dialect group). Half the time, dialect names sound terrible with silly spelling.

This is just our view, hope no one is offended

Comment

Yeah, our baby is also only gonna have an English name and a chinese name- no dialect name. In fact, if you didn't ask about this, I'll probably also not remember that there's such a thing as dialect name lol..

Comment

My hubby's family more traditional I guess- they are really called by their dialect names, so that's another one of those things we have to have. Let's see... there's already Ah Peng, Ah Beng, Ah Boon. Maybe call my baby Ah Lian?

Comment

Hi ladies,

There's a place called Yiu Rong Zie.Yiu Rong Zie will "calculate" your preferred name (the first one only and that's provided u have one in mind) FOC and charge $ 10 for every subsequent one. If the name you want all not good, he will providing 10 middle name and 10 last name. You can mix and match these 10 names so there is a combination of 100 names. For this, he will charge $100 for the service. You can opt for this directly as well.

He will need the date/time of birth of baby. I think the names of the parents as well.

Yiu Rong Zie geomancy
            #01-43 Lorong 30
            Feng Lai Mansion, Geylang Road
            Tel 67435738/67490654

Comment

Re: Chinese name for babies.....

Originally posted by acidica
              Also, my sister in law who just give birth - has only just English name and surname for her boy - no dialect name - is it common to you?
              This is common in my family. My dad's chinese aint that good. My sis and now her kids only have Christian name and surname but they do have a chinese name in the birth cert translated from the christian name.

i personally think it's a good idea cos i don't even use my dialect name and i used to find it a chore to write my whole string of name in school. I'm seriously thinking of naming my children this way in the future.

Comment

not married yet and thus no kids. but when i do have a kid, i will make sure he/she has a chinese name and dialect name. as for english name, will leave it to him/her to choose when they grow up

i think a chinese name is very important. i remember my mum told me she got a fortune teller to choose my name for me, i like my chinese name a lot though nobody in the world seems to be able to pronounce it properly

Comment

Originally posted by lumos i think a chinese name is very important. i remember my mum told me she got a fortune teller to choose my name for me, i like my chinese name a lot though nobody in the world seems to be able to pronounce it properly
                  hi lumos, i feel the same way as you!

probably cos' i only have a chinese name and no christian name, and furthermore, my parents got my chinese name from a fortune teller. and so in future i will DEFINITELY give my children chinese and christian names.

Comment

Originally posted by milk
                    Hi ladies,

There's a place called Yiu Rong Zie.Yiu Rong Zie will "calculate" your preferred name .............
                    Thanks Milk...

Btw, how you ladies come out dialect name also... Likely my baby will have the dialect name cos family quite traditional.. :p

Father in law will come out with the dialect translation.. I think single chinese character with surname is quite cool too.. may consider that..

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 15-11-2008, 12:26 AM. Reason: ..................

Comment

i think chinese names are harder to give than english names... i'm still cracking my head for chinese names.. lolx

Comment

Mel, my baby's dialect name is Lik Tiah(given by my FIL).. LOL.. Chinese name is Yu4Cheng2..

Comment

I would probably not have a dialect name for my children if I ever have any (not likely I would). I hate my dialect name - it's not even the correct pronunciation of ANY form of my name, Chinese or dialect and noone ever calls me by it. But it's the only name on my documents. I'd prefer if I only had my English (not Christian - this term is specific to names stated in the Bible, or names by which Christians are baptized; my English name is actually Greek in origin) name and surname/Chinese name in Han Yu Pin Yin. That's the standardized form and the only names I acknowledge. Just too troublesome to change everything now.

For Chinese names the cumulative number of strokes and the elements of the characters are important. You still need to have an idea of what you want rather than allow someone to calculate it based on birth signs or whatever.

Names with only the surname and single-word names were popular in China for a while but not anymore. Personal preference though.

Comment

Deleted the message.
                              Last edited by tamarind; 17-05-2015, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X