Breastfeeding in public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding in public

Wonder anyone imagine or has done breastfeeding in public..

I mean the recent news from the breastfeeding groups where the mommies go to Esplanade to breastfeed - I have watched it on TV. The ladies are quite tactful when breastfeed - I mean nothing much revealed but honestly I still feel quite shy cos I didnt see any of friend doing it yet...

But I also dont want to cope up at home all the time when breastfeeding... since others can do it, why not..

To each his own, I guess. For me, I don't think I'll ever BF in public or even in front of other family members like in laws or my parents (with the exception of my hubby, gynea or LC). At times when I'm outside during the period when I'm still BF, I'll either express in advance and bring the milk out, or I'll retreat to a nursing room/clean toilet or if I can't find any of these easily available, the backseat of my car (provided its parked at an isolated corner or somewhere not too bright).

Comment

I've done so, but not that frequent. If you have the right clothing, no one knows you're breastfeeding, people just probably think that you child fell asleep in your arm.
      Some other times I'd bring a hand towel out or a baby blanket to cover up. Also sarong sling should do a nice job too for that purpose.

Comment

yah, i agree with mango, as i don't think i would be able to breastfeed in public or even in front of family (except for hubby). i would feel too uncomfortable. my co-worker would breastfeed her baby, but her mother sewed this thing that covered the area so no one could see anything.

Comment

I don't think I even want to breastfeed in my mum-in-law's presence. It doesn't bother me if others breastfeed in public or not, but for me- I think there are just too many weirdos out there (old nosey women, dirty old men, puritan anally-uptight people)... I don't want someone to STARE and mentally size "me" up, or drool or give me a disgusted look. Even though it's THEIR problem.

Comment

I'm not terribly concern about breast feeding in public because I don't see myself going out alot with baby in the initial few months. And when she is alittle older like 5/6 months plus, who knows I may give her some formula milk (have not decided) on top of breast milk (so no fuss).

If I have to breastfeed, I'll express in advance from home. The general public in Singapore can irritate me quite a bit at times so no way I'll like to breastfeed in front of them. Plus I really don't want to to keep wearing that same few breastfeeding top *yawn*.

If I'm in a nudist beach, I'm not one who will mind being partially nude while sun tanning but I wouldn't want to expose myself in this way(breastfeeding). Because the mindset of people where these 2 activities are concern is completely different .

Comment

I do breastfeed in public, of course not openly but at a quieter corner/place, or at cafe, in the car, nursery rooms, etc. Usually like what GG does, I have a blanket to cover. Ya, having the baby in the sling really helps - as people won't notice it. Sometimes, I put on nursery tops bought from Mums n Babes in Plaza Singapura, so it's easier to BF and is less obvious.

Because most of my friends BF in public, so that gives me the courage to do it too. I was rather conscious the first few times, but soon got used to it. Actually so far, I had been lucky as I had not had cold, hard stares by others, nor received any criticisms. My family members and hubby esp. had been most supportive, except my MIL. So I don't BF in her presence. When my little nieces and nephews see me BFing, I would just educate them on the necessity of BF, so that we wouldn't feel awkward or discomforts, and it'll be a good lesson for them too, I thought.

Comment

I don't think I will ever BF in public or in front of my family members except hubby. I will be too self-conscious to do it plus it's not really the norm here. I don't mind other women doing it but it's just not my thing. Besides, I don't think I will ever be out for a very long time with my baby anyway. Sibu is a small town so if the baby needs to feed, we can always drive home.

Comment

then how to handle if your baby screams hysterically all the way home while waiting to be nursed and when you finally return home, baby is so exhausted and frustrated that he refuses to nurse in the end? then make another trip out to town to continue what you were originally doing b4 you started heading for home to breastfeed?

Or... if you express a bottle of milk to bring out so you don't have to breastfeed in public, only to find that baby won't drink it from the bottle b/c you are nearby...

BTDT :huh:

Comment

Manamana, welcome to Cozycot!

I guess the main reason why some mothers who doesn't BF in public becoz they don't feel comfortable doing it in public. If the mother doesn't feel comfortable BF in public, do you think the child will feel comfortable getting feed too?

Comment

Originally posted by Manamana
                      then how to handle if your baby screams hysterically all the way home while waiting to be nursed and when you finally return home, baby is so exhausted and frustrated that he refuses to nurse in the end? then make another trip out to town to continue what you were originally doing b4 you started heading for home to breastfeed?

Or... if you express a bottle of milk to bring out so you don't have to breastfeed in public, only to find that baby won't drink it from the bottle b/c you are nearby...

BTDT :huh:
                      I guess firstly, you've gotta know that your baby will drink from a bottle- its a little strange to happily express into bottle knowing that your baby will probably reject bottle right? Also, if your baby screams hysterically for milk, you could either 1) BF publicly if you are fine with it OR 2)retreat to a toilet/nursing room/your car. What we're saying is what we will do. Personally, I have nothing against public BFers, I just won't do it myself.

Comment

By the time I bring baby out alone, I should have established a feeding schedule, and therefore plan it such that I have a nursing room etc when it's time. If baby wants milk pronto ie. SUDDENLY and won't wait, too bad, I'm not going to lift my blouse for her/ wrap myself in a sarong sling which I do not like/ wear a nursing top which I don't like either in open public. :roll: So shoot me! :roll: Missing one feed won't kill her, or does anyone want to report me for baby cruelty?

Comment

Originally posted by mel171103kev
                          So shoot me!
                          Bang!!

Comment

Would really missing 1 feed not *kill* your baby?

A routine may be established, but a fixed schedule it will not be, where a baby is concerned.

Another scenario - not one you would wish on yourself:
                            You are in the pediatrician's clinic with baby to see the ped. You have # in hand. Baby wails, is hungry, needs feeding. You have already waited an hour. There is just 5 more numbers. The doctor could possibly see those 5 numbers VERY quickly, or VERY long. And of course, your baby could also feed VERY quickly, or VERY long.

Would you take the chance to go to the toilet (not smelly, ah?) to feed, come back to find your number has passed and wait another 1hr?

another BTDT :preggie:

Comment

Oh my, then I shall do the unthinkable and force-feed her horrible formula milk. Or starve her. Or maybe just slap her around til she shuts up. Or better still, forget the paed visit, why does she need a paed for.

I can't help feeling :roll: when some stranger from out of nowhere on her first post adopts such a snippish tone. I'm not feeling inclined to be diplomatic and nice. I have my view and stated so. You want to breastfeed in public, go ahead am I stopping you?

Comment

Working...
                              X