Hubby In Theatre Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubby In Theatre Room

Hi, Just like to know, did your hubby accompany you into the theatre room and go through with you the whole process of fiving birth? (Not sure if It's still allowed anyway).
    Is it allowed for hubby to bring the video camera in and record down the whole process?
    Anybody had done so?

Whether why it was inauspicious for the hubby to see the wife give birth during the very old times, esp in those old drama shows where the husbands are kept outside the room, waiting anxiously for the wife to give birth.

Not sure about Singapore, but here if we choose to give birth at a private hospital, hubbies are allowed to stay in the labour room and video the process if they want too. My hubby wants to be with me in the labour room and he'll be recording the birth using his DV but not the actual event that happens 'down there'. We feel it'll be too much for the relatives to watch..hehehe...

Comment

Allowed in.

I think in olden times it was taboo because the husband may get some hangups... I'm not sure if my hubby won't!

Comment

Many years ago, hubby are already allowed into the labour room. As for video taking, we have to seek permission from our gynae.

As for those old drama, don't think its because its inauspicious, rather its because the husband only know how to stand around during those time or too shy because there are other woman around and wife is not clothed.

Recently, I heard that some ladies have requested for a full length mirror at the other end of the bed as she give birth so that she can see the whole process too. I thought thats interesting!

Comment

Not sure why its a taboo in olden days, but I know for sure that when its my turn, hubby will definitely be there all the way. He said he wouldn't miss it for the world and I definitely need his support/ backrubs/ hand to chew on. I think it'll be a beautiful and unforgettable moment when the baby finally arrives, and its even more meaningful if the hubby is there to catch the baby.

And yup, recording is definitely permissible, but for us, I'm *perfectly* contented with just pictures capturing my baby *after* she's out (not during!).

PS: I definitely wouldn't want to see the other end of myself with a mirror while birthing. Very honestly, even till now I'm still squeamish about seeing videos/pictures of other women giving birth...
          Last edited by mango; 03-08-2004, 11:42 AM.

Comment

i was told if u give birth in australia, docs actually request the hubbys to go in and have a peek, ie to give support during the process of giving birth

ahhh great!

Comment

Originally posted by natnatviv
              i was told if u give birth in australia, docs actually request the hubbys to go in and have a peek, ie to give support during the process of giving birth
              I think sg docs are also very with the idea of hubbies in delivery room to give moral support. In my antenatal class, my instructor kept emphasising to the hubbies that their role is *VERY* important, even as important as the gynea. I personally believe that having the husband around completes the whole experience of birthing.

Comment

Originally posted by mango
                PS: I definitely wouldn't want to see the other end of myself with a mirror while birthing. Very honestly, even till now I'm still squeamish about seeing videos/pictures of other women giving birth...
                I feel squeamish whenever I watch videos/pictures of other women giving birth and also any sort of operation going on on documentaries.

But I'm a weirdo with a sense of adventure and love challenging my limits so sometimes I shock people with the things I do. But hubby is quite against the mirror thing as he doesn't want me to freak out. I'm okay with or without but the thought is still lingering in my head.

Comment

Hubby better be there for me!! As for filming, I think he won't have the hands to hold the camcorder as he's suppose to support me when I come up to POOOSSSSH!

We were even taught during our prenatal classes how the husband can support the wife. So make sure your hubbies are building their arm muscles to prop you up

A colleague of mine told me that when his wife was delivering in NZ, the hospital just told the husband to go in. Thing was, the wife was undergoing a C-section (local anaesthetic) and he didn't know what to expect. He said he felt really woozy at the sight of the operation and almost fainted!

Comment

I hope by that time my hubby will be with me too ..... but i dont think he will want . cos he is alway very squeamish about this type of thing. Dont want to force him ( cos hear of some husband faint or vomit after seening the whole process)

Comment

my SO braved through with me during my labour too. He was really encouraging & literally "supporting"(i grabbed on to him whenever i need to PPOOSSHH) me all the way .
                      He was quite alright with witmessing a live birth but i think he still cant get over seeing my gynae giving me a epistomy.....
                      "snip snip" was what he mentioned when we both had a private moment after i gave birth.

Comment

I've heard a story from my previous pre-natal lecturer that there have been cases where hubby actually fainted in the labour ward...... and here the doctor is busying with the mommy and there... they try to rescue the husband!!! Apparently this hubby can't handle the gruesome scene.
                        So my lecturer suggested, if your hubby is not the kind who can handle the sight of birthing, he's better of sitting in the waiting room.... no trouble for doctors, nurses and the mom-to-be....

Question... would you hubby take the honour to cut your baby's umbilical cord if given the opportunity?
                        Apparently this can be requested.

Unfortunately, both mine were c-sec........ so if you ask me, I would say hubby & I never get to experience birthing....
                        Last edited by GG; 04-08-2004, 12:50 AM.

Comment

My gynae said to my hubby two months ago, "So you're going to cut the cord right?"

Hubby looks rather bewildered, "Errrr, yah, I guess so..."

Comment

all your hubbies are brave huh?

i can imagine myself being squirmish about the delivery process so i will forgive my hubby if he does not want to be there...but i hope he can just be around to hold my hand...AND i will make sure my gynae knows that my hubby does not want to get too involved with the watching and the cutting of the cord so that gynae will not ask hubby to do this and that which might cause hubby to be pressured and maybe in the end vomiting or fainting!

Comment

my hubby was with me in the delivery suite. didn't think he should be 'let off' since he was half responsible for the baby. anyhow, i feel birthing is a partnership and i definitely need/want him there. he was with me all through the pushing and totally appreciates what its all about.

and yes, being a 'brave' man....he cut the cord.

Comment

Working...
                              X