BreastFeeding but no supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BreastFeeding but no supply

My parents, my in-laws, my confinement lady etc etc all say "Baby is crying because u don't have enough milk for him / her" Hence, many Mummies think that they don't enough breastmilk to feed their baby but THIS IS TOTALLY NOT TRUE! Almost all mummies have enough milk to feed their baby. Comments on you having not enough milk should be totally ignore.

As long as your breasts is emptied frequently by nursing or pumping, you body will produce more milk. The brain will automatically receive the signal that milk is fully needed and hence will produce more.

I would also like to share some tips on increasing milk supply.
    It's nice to have these on hand just in case:

First drink plenty of water.
    85% breastmilk is water!

Make sure you eat!
    While you are pumping, you will keep the weight off, I promise! It makes you hungry as a horse and it does that for a reason. You need the extra calories because you are burning so much off!

Eat REAL oatmeal. (This is simple and works wonder for me!)
    You can eat the quick oats (the ones that cook in 1 minute) or the old fashioned oats (that cook in 5 minutes). You can also make cookies that have oatmeal in them and get oatmeal that way (I prefer this way! Ha!). The way they process the instant oatmeal, it doesn't give you the same results. No one is sure how the oatmeal works but it does!

Get some rest
    (yeah, I know easier said than done!) If you are exhausted and have the opportunity to take a nap (even if it pushes your pump back) do it! You will actually get more milk that way! Even if you're not sleeping, rest by sitting down a lot. Conserving energy is important.

Don't stress too much.

Some suggest drinking beer with, or without alcohol. (U can try barley water too)

There is a tea called Mothers Milk Tea and it is supposed to increase your supply if you drink it.

There are herbs like Fenugreek and also prescription medications that will increase your supply if you really need it. I would use these as a last resort but they can be effective and are available!
    *Fenugreek can be purchase from GNC, but you may want to ask ur lactation consultant for dosage advice.*

Most importantly, good latching / pumping habits will keep your supply up and increase it!"

Mummies, believe U can breastfeed ur baby! (Don't let silly advices from ill-inform people get in the way)

Need Help on Getting Breast Pump

Hi,
    dont know is it ok for me to post this here, :huh: anyway i just try lar

After do some searching on the breast pump, i think i would like to get a Ameda breast pump, wondering is there anyone can help or advice how to get it.
    The one i wish to have is with the backpack, which i have so far seen it on the US wedsite. Saw some use one on the ebay too, but never buy anything from ebay before so if anyone can help me to purchase the item from ebay will be grateful

Comment

I have some experiences with ebay.
      But I can't help u because I am really busy with work, baby and pumping.
      Do more research on breastpumps before u buy because they are really costly.
      I heard good things about Ameda and Medela. Some can let u try them out. Do ask experiences mummies around.

[email protected] has many discussion on breastpumps too. u may like to join to know more.

Comment

Summerday, are you referring to the Ameda Lactaline dual pump? Moms in Mind which is a local website does sell it:

http://www.momsinmind.com.sg/lactalinepump.html

Not sure if this is exactly the model you are looking at.

I believe Ameda also has a local distributor in Singapore. Check this page out, there's a Singapore contact:

http://ameda.com/international/international.asp

I'm pretty sure you can get Ameda breast pumps in Singapore. Infact, I even see some 2nd hand ones in Yahoo auction (the singapore site).

Comment

Sometimes, it is cheaper to buy through ebay in USA. (Can be as much as S$200 for Medela Pump In Style)
          Even after paying for the high shipping cost.
          But again, I don't know how the warranty will work out.
          It is quite straight forward, U just need a credit card and a Paypal account.

If u are going mums and babes, ask to test out the different pumps. They will be happie to accommodate.

Individual people react to differently to different brands / Models of breastpump.
          Some even find manuel pump works wonderful for them (not for me!).

Comment

Have ask around and do some reading up from the website, i feel that i prefer Ameda than Medela

Mog,
            Thank for your infor, will check the Ameda website

Comment

hi bashful, what about converter problems if purchases are bought from ebay? i understand electrical products from US need a transformer. that makes it very troublesome right?

Comment

That I am not so sure too.
                But it could be problemtic. Ask the seller before buying?

Comment

it will definitely need a transformer because its US voltage....so buying a pump off ebay might not be feasible, unless you don't mind using a transformer all the time.

(bashful - i made a similar recommendation on another forum and one of the members pointed this out to me).

Comment

Good to realise it now then before getting into trouble

I am getting a pump call "whisper wear" from ebay.
                    Lucky it is power by AA batteries. :roll:
                    I have placed a bid for it.

Comment

not a mom but just wondering cos my cousin-in-law (my cousins wife) just gave birth recently and it seems like she is really not producing any milk at all. so can there be a case where the mom really cant produce milk? cos her baby cries like crazy everytime she tries to feed him :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by lumos
                        not a mom but just wondering cos my cousin-in-law (my cousins wife) just gave birth recently and it seems like she is really not producing any milk at all. so can there be a case where the mom really cant produce milk? cos her baby cries like crazy everytime she tries to feed him :huh:
                        Newborns (presuming they are not underweight or premature or anything like that) can go up to 3 days without milk cause they are born with more than enough reserves. How often is your cousin latching her baby on? The more she latches (whether there is milk or not), the more the baby suckles, the more it stimulates her milkflow. Alot of new mothers gave up latching during the first few days cause they dont think they're producing enough milk and resort to feed FM (formula milk). The thing is, when baby is already fed, there's no demand for BM, and when there is no demand, the already-low/non-existent supply dips even further due to lack of stimulation, so it becomes a vicious cycle. These are just my $0.02's worth. I'm sure the more experienced mums will be able to offer even better and more practical advice.

Comment

I agree with what mango has said because that's what the books say as well.

Also, was the baby bottle-fed before she was latched on? If so, the baby may have developed something called 'nipple confusion'. It's so much easier to suck from a bottle than a mother's nippe so babies will of course fuss a lot (cry like crazy like lumos said) when she's being latched on since the milk flow is so much slower. This is what happened to my niece as well. She was bottle-fed at the hospital and when my SIL tried to latch on, she fussed so much that my SIL gave in and bottle-fed her. This went on for two days and her milk supply eventually dwindled to zero. She blamed it on her flat chest but we all know that the size of your breast doesn't determine how much milk you can produce.

Comment

as far as i know the baby has been breastfed since day 1. my aunt keeps complaining to my mum cos she cannot stand the baby crying so i was just wondering

good info to know, thanks for all your help ladies

Comment

Hi lumos - perhaps you could tell your cousin in law to breastfeed privately, or tell her husband to tell relatives to keep away? All this intervention is very stressful for a first time mother, in this vulnerable post partum period and this interferes with her milk supply too!

Also, it is unlikely that she has not enough milk - she needs to work out the problems feeding formula caused (if formula has been fed). Additionally, her type of birth may determine the fussiness of the baby as well, i.e. the baby may be fussy because of drugs still in his/her system.

The crying (from the way you described) could stem from nipple confusion as Ariel pointed out. This would be a very precarious time in establishing a bfg relationship, becase the mom would be stressed and fear that the baby would have no milk, and feed formula which as mango pointed out, would be detrimental to supply. If she is truly serious about nursing, she must have the determination to stop ALL formula and persevere in nursing.

If it's not formula, it's porbably the latch - perhaps the baby is not sucking correctly. This link may help:
                              http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html

Btw, if she feels engorged or uncomfy, hot water compresses, cabbage leaves would alleviate the pain. Sometimes nursing the baby in a warm bath or when the baby is semi drowsy helps.

Why not get her to visit a lactation consultant as well?
                              Last edited by makeupmag; 11-09-2004, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X