Bathing baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathing baby

How do you bathe your baby? Where do you place the tub (in the bathroom? bedroom floor?)? Can mummies please share in detail how you bathe your little darling? Today I had my first attempt at bathing my baby, and its quite alot harder than I imagined, I'm not sure I can handle it alone. How much water do you put in the tub (eg, half a regular tub, etc)? How do you adequately support a fragile newborn in a tub with one hand while cleaning her with another? :huh: Please share what you can, I really want to get the hang of it asap.

It can be quite tiring for our back (especially) if we place the tub on the floor or on the bed.

I usually put the tub on dinner table and lay all the necessary toiletries, sponge changing mat (with clean towel placed), clothings are ready on the same dinning table.

Its a breeze. But I do have someone to help me clear away the tub after baby's bath.

Comment

Re: Bathing baby

Originally posted by mango
      How much water do you put in the tub (eg, half a regular tub, etc)? How do you adequately support a fragile newborn in a tub with one hand while cleaning her with another? :huh: Please share what you can, I really want to get the hang of it asap.
      For me, I let bb's back neck lie against my left lower arm, and grap his left arm using my hand. bb's bottoms should be sitting or resting on the tub. The water level is around waist level (bb sitting position)

Comment

Thanks dear lilo! I'll try your way of holding baby tomorrow

So I guess you just put some drops of baby bath into the water? Cause thats what I'm taught to do at the hosp, but today when I tried for the first time, few drops of baby bath doesnt seem to make a diff to the water? Is it enough? And there is really no need to rinse baby after the bath?

Comment

Re: Re: Bathing baby

Originally posted by Lilo
          For me, I let bb's back neck lie against my left lower arm, and grap his left arm using my hand. bb's bottoms should be sitting or resting on the tub. The water level is around waist level (bb sitting position)
          Hey Chris, this is how I do it too in the begining with my daughter. But if this is too tiring on your arm for you, try lying your baby on those big bath sponge in the baby bathtub instead.

You said you had some nerve and muscle injury during labor, so I would suggest bathing the baby on the table for the time begin, so it's less pressure for you when you squat down.

And as for the baby bath, I guess if the hospital told that there is no need to rinse off, then it should be fine. But if you don't like the soapy feeling, then just switch to using baby hair & body shampoo, with afew drops of baby oil in the bath for moisturising effects.

Comment

Mango, have u started tub baths already? Has the umbilical cord fallen off? I sponge bath her and it was easier.

I do the baths on the dinner table too. No need to squat down. Just get ready all the "equipment" and put it on the table. Makes changing into her clothes and diapers much easier too. Also better for your back.

Comment

Mogmick, what do you mean by sponge bath? As in with a damp towel and just wipe? Yeah, I gave her a tub bath yesterday, cause I didnt know of other options, plus thats what the nurses do in the hosp. Nope, her umblical cord has not dropped, but its quite dried up already.

Comment

I read that it's not advisable to give baby tub baths before the umbilical cord drops off but it seems like everybody is giving their baby tub baths as soon as baby is discharged. :huh:

Comment

Ariel, if I'm not wrong, the nurses at the hosp gives baby tub baths anyway, so it should be quite alright I think?

Comment

Mango, don't worry. Although almost ALL websites and books advise you not to tub bath the baby before the cord falls off, I believe as long as you wipe the cord area dry and keep it clean, it is ok. My first paed told me it is ok for the cord area to touch soap and water even before the cord drops off.

I think the advise of not tub-bathing baby is just a precautionary measure.

Yah, I just wiped her with cloth dipped in water (with some baby soap) for her initial baths

Comment

Ya, I have seen nurses in hospitals give tub baths to newborns so I guess it is ok.

Comment

My baby's tounge is coated with some whitish substance, do I need to remove/clean that? How to do so? i also read of some mums who clean their baby's gums with cotton squares? How to do that?

Comment

Hi mango!

I've seen my SIL clean the baby's tongue with gauze. I think she wet the gauze and wrapped it around her index finger. Then she gently dabbed it on the tongue.

Comment

The white substance is residue left by the milk, if I;m not wrong.

Baby mouthwash is avaible at pharmacy, some will use glycerin solution. Use cotton pad(or gauze, you can even use soft cotton handkerchief), dampen with water and mouthwash, rub your baby tongue lightly until all white substance is gone. HTHs.

Comment

hmm, when i last went to see my ped, she checked the baby's tongue and she saw some whitish stuff on it. She diagnosed my baby as having a mild case of thrush, and asked if I took any antibiotics. I told her I did about 2 weeks ago and she said it's common to have an after effect on the baby.

No medication was given but she told me to clean the baby's tongue with some cotton gauze swabs. I tried it once but it nearly chocked the poor baby cuz my finger seemed big

Comment

Working...
                              X