Burping babies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burping babies.

I just finished feeding my baby. He managed to give me one loud burp only after a few pats on the back. Gave me such satisfaction. When he was smaller, he wouldn't burp at all. Not even after half an hour of pating and stuff. friends and relatives would try all sorts of ways and give up. Did any of you have this problem? Sometimes he will still arch his back and resist being bend over for a pat.

babies vary a great deal in the amt of air they swallow during feeding. If small amt qty of air are swallowed during feeding they form small bubbles in the stomach which cannot be burped up until they have coalesced into large bubble. By all means,burp the baby even if it is for your peace of mind, but don't become fanatical abt it.

Comment

Thanks bebelatte,

Usually after about 5 mins if he doesn't burp I let it go.

Comment

Mine has big nose big mouth and certainly big cries. So we burp very often, during each breastfeeding session alone 3-6 times. Rest of day, after bath/ sunning/ whatever makes her cry, we burp her. Even when there's no loud burp (we get a series of soft burps or sometimes we are just so sleepy/ tired we don't listen for burps), I think it makes her feel better. The burping position we use also reduces the intensity of her cries (ie. not so full-blown) so it's used to interrupt her crying bouts. Morning after bath, Ruyi oil on chest too...

Comment

Hey Mel,

I agree with the ruyi oil, I rub his tummy every night with it without fail. So worried that he gets too "windy". At first I didn't believe my mom when she said that ruyi oil will be good for him but I'm now convinced. My baby farts more than he burps so I guess its the same rite just where the wind comes out.

Comment

majacqueline,
            I have the same problem, at times, my gal (4 weeks old) burp after a few pats.
            But so often nowadays she don't burp even when I tried for 15mins and with different positions, it just don't work. Then she will leak milk so much if it's not burp properly.
            And whenever she cries, I would think that she has stomach upset.

What about hiccups? My gal gets hiccups quite often, is she too full?
            Last edited by bomy; 04-01-2006, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Reading this thread brings back memories of me burping my girl in the wee hours of the morning. Very lonely experience! My gal took so long to feed and even longer to burp! I actually tried to burp her for like 45 minutes each time initially, while she Zzzzz away! After a few months of doing that, I gave up and put her down after 20 minutes.

We also find that adding a couple of drops of Infacol to her milk each time helps somewhat.

Bomy, don't worry about hiccups. Mine did too.... but I read somewhere that it actually bothers the adults more than the babies! So no worries there.

Comment

i used to spend abt 20 mins trying to elicit a burp from my girls but that's only before their neck/back becomes steady. i stopped burping elder one at 4 mths and younger one at 2.5 mths. i agree with ruyi oil, was super skeptical about it at first but am now a convert. i do not apply it everynight though only when the need arises.

Comment

Katia,
                  Haha, I did observe my bb when she hiccups. She keeps very still and kinda of waiting for her next hiccups. Thanks... It ease 1 of my thousand worries!

Comment

i had trouble burping my boy when he was younger too and I'll usually put him down to rest for a while and if his face turns a bit red coz of his stretching and when I pick him up, he'll usually let out a burp.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa
                      Mine has big nose big mouth and certainly big cries. So we burp very often, during each breastfeeding session alone 3-6 times. Rest of day, after bath/ sunning/ whatever makes her cry, we burp her. Even when there's no loud burp (we get a series of soft burps or sometimes we are just so sleepy/ tired we don't listen for burps), I think it makes her feel better. The burping position we use also reduces the intensity of her cries (ie. not so full-blown) so it's used to interrupt her crying bouts. Morning after bath, Ruyi oil on chest too...
                      I am confused! My reliable GP told me that we must burp babies regardless of whether they are breastfed or bottle fed.

Just called up a counsellor at BMSG. She says there is no need for breastfed babies to burp at all.

I assume it depends on individual?? I have to burp my breastfed baby all the time and can get a burp most of the time. she was saying i have inculcated this habit of burping and is definitely not necessary.
                      Last edited by Grace Liow; 24-04-2006, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 14-11-2008, 10:16 PM. Reason: ...............

Comment

The nurse said I had a particularly windy baby (not her words, mine. hehehe), so kept burping him while still in the hospital, although most times it's to try to wake him up for breastfeeding. So, I don't see how we are able to inculcate a burping habit! I mean, have wind means have, no means no, right? Worse if the baby cries prior to feeding. That definitely needs a burp!

I find myself cutting corners with my second baby. Just put him down in the cot if there's no burp after a few pats, because it took one hour to feed him, and I'm just so tired... But of course, I pay for it later by getting up at the slightest groan to check on him. *sigh* And my, can this baby groan and stretch during his sleep... and then in the process, regurgitation. Ahhh...somebody, tell me quick, any secrets to feeding faster, burping faster and have a blissful sleep!

A doctor once told me that I can quit feeding the baby if the baby stops drinking after 20 mins, but mine is drinking EBM and I'm so terribly reluctant to let 50-60mls go to waste! I can accept a leftover of 20 to 30 mls, but 60 is too much for me, so there I am, tapping away at the bottle to try to make the baby suck more. Then he will be so deep in sleep while I try to burp him that I don't get any. *sigh* And what do I do? With my first child, I persevered, but with this one...

Comment

Working...
                          X