I.V.F - In Vitro Fertilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.V.F - In Vitro Fertilization

hi, I've been married four years with no children and we're now contemplating doing an IVF . Do you have any stories to share on success cases, 'trauma' to face to share ???

Appreciate any comments on this topic. Thanks.

Not sure if this is appropriate but you can try reading some related threads on www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard. There are a few threads directly relating to what you are searching for with ladies sharing their experiences etc.

Comment

Hi Katrina,

I don't know on what grounds have prompted you to consider IVF other than being married for 4 year, but in case if you have not seek for professional advice/conselling in helping you and your spouse to conveice naturally, visit this website http://www.alife.org.sg/en_index.php
      This is a non-profit volunteer welfare organization which provides assistance and counseling services related to fertility and pregnancy. They do have success stories in helping couples to conceive naturally.

The founder is Dr. Peter Chew, Consultant Obstetrician Gynaecologist. He has been interviewed before on TV on fertility.

Hope that helps!
      :wave:

Comment

Re: I V F ???

Originally posted by Katrina
        hi, I've been married four years with no children and we're now contemplating doing an IVF . Do you have any stories to share on success cases, 'trauma' to face to share ???

Appreciate any comments on this topic. Thanks.
        My baby is an IVF baby. I had 2 ectopic pregnancies to where both Fallopian tubes were removed. I had no other way. My procedure was managed by the Fertility Clinic at Mt Elizabeth. They show you a video on the procedure and then you can ask questions afterwards. They will check your bloodwork beforehand and get a baseline on your Estradiol levels. The next step is to shut down your hormone production. There are 2 methods: you give yourself shots 2X a day for 2 weeks (cheaper) or the Dr gives you a shot and you take 2 pills for 10 days (more expensive). They didn't tell me this at 1st even though I told them how much I hated needles. It turned out that the 1st method didn't shut down my hormones enough, the Estradiol didn't go below a target value. So, I had to wait for my next period and start over with the 2nd method.

After that, you have to start giving yourself more shots of FSH (it will hyper stimulate follicle development = lots of eggs). Then they give you a shot of hCG to help the eggs develop and then within 36 hours they go retrieve them (this is done surgically). They got 13 eggs from me and of those, 12 were successfully fertilized. I think that within 3 days, they implanted 2 embryos (usually it's 3, but, we weren't sure how successful it would be and didn't want all 3 to take!). You have to rest so many hours before going home and then you have to rest even more. I didn't heed the rest part as much as I should. It didn't work the 1st time. We are convinced that it was because I was still bleeding some from the surgical procedure and my body wasn't ready yet. If we were to do it again, we would freeze the embryos and wait until later. The 2nd embryo transfer, we put in all 3 and 1 took. The 2nd time, I was told not to do any house work either and I stayed in bed alot. We didn't have anymore embryos left even though we started out with 12 because of the embryo screening process.

There's even more involved, but, this is the basic stuff. During my 1st embryo transfer, another lady had hers done the same day. We went in for our pregnancy tests at the clinic and the both of us knew it didn't work because our periods came. She had endometriosis and they only retrieved 2 eggs from her. She had to repeat the entire process! So, I feel lucky.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the info, ShelleyME. It's really descriptive. Do you mind sharing how much the procedure cost? How many attempt did u try before u finally conceive?

Comment

Well, I'm a "foreigner" so we got charged more. Somewhere around 10K+. There were so many bills.

I conceived on my 2nd embryo transfer.

I forgot to add that I tried artificial insemination 2X which were successful, but, both were ectopic pregnancies. My Dr had me take Cardiprin which is a low dose aspirin. She said it would help the embryo implant itself into the uterine lining. For my IVF, I was referred to a 2nd Dr. My 1st embryo transfer, he didn't give me any aspirin, but, for the 2nd, I asked for it. So, if you do this, make sure you get some Cardiprin.

Comment

Just a word of advice - please ask your doctor to do a coagulation study if you wish to go on Cardiprin, which any competent doctor should do but it pays to be safe to know about it in advance. It may be low dose but still Asians are much more prone to bleeding than other ethnicities.

Comment

Anyone trying I.V.F ?

Hi people !! I am new here!

Just wondering if there is anyone out there trying I.V.F ? Thought it will be good if we could have one I.V.F group so we could all share and support one another....

been married for 8 years ...... decided to go for IVF ... next week will be seeing my doctor at KK Hospital ... went thr' some Pre IVF test (HSG/Ultrasound/blood tests) ..... anyone out there trying ? successful IVF babies ? what to expect during the procedure? Any advice on diet / excercise / relaxation ? Actually quite fearful ..... but want to try our best and have no regrets ...... do drop by ok ? .. tks

Comment

Hi, I have a friend tried IVF but not successful but since she still has some frozen embryos so she is going to try again.

Here we might not have so much knowledge on IVF but you try going to this webpage: http://www.singaporebrides.com/forum...tml?1114487740

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by cc_lia
                    Hi, I have a friend tried IVF but not successful but since she still has some frozen embryos so she is going to try again.

Here we might not have so much knowledge on IVF but you try going to this webpage: http://www.singaporebrides.com/forum...tml?1114487740

All the best

hey ... thanks a lot !!! will check out the singaporebrides .....

Comment

Hotees,

IVF process is rather complicated...it takes quite some time to prepare yourself before u are fit for the program..successful rate is 50%...not sure how much KK charge for IVF but for private, definitely more ex...recommend u Christopher Chen Centre for Reproductive Medicine in Gleneagles hospital..heard of him? He is known as the IVF man...try the website:
                      www.cccrm.com

Comment

i know a couple who is childless for years too. they finally went for IVF. it can be discouraging at first cos after a few attempts, still no chance. it was very tiring to have to keep going to hospital for the tests etc and having to monitor certain things. it was good news to hear that she later got pregnant, but the pregnancy was so complicated cos her womb was weak. it cost them like 1k every week to have some therapy to keep the child inside.. that's what i heard. do check out the cost!

Comment

hotees, how's your IVF progress so far? Care to share your experience?

Comment

My aunt had 2 successful IVF! 1st one in 1996 and 2nd one in 2000. And with the 2 IVF, I got additional 4 cousins!!! Cos the 2nd try was a triplets! :wow: all 4 kiddo fr IVF are girls.
                            And miricle happen in 2003 when my aunt concieve NATURALLY!!! It's a BOY!!! She was 43 then

Comment

Originally posted by LeX
                              My aunt had 2 successful IVF! 1st one in 1996 and 2nd one in 2000. And with the 2 IVF, I got additional 4 cousins!!! Cos the 2nd try was a triplets! :wow: all 4 kiddo fr IVF are girls.
                              And miricle happen in 2003 when my aunt concieve NATURALLY!!! It's a BOY!!! She was 43 then
                              Wow.. It's really a MIRICALE!

Comment

Working...
                              X