Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeding schedule

hi

just wondering how many times you feed the baby in a day.

Can anyone advise how to drop a feed?

hi. i personally feed at 3 am, 6 am, 9 am, 12 pm, 3 pm, 6 pm, 9 pm and 12 am..8 times a day ( give and take the above times) for my 2 month old.

each feed is 4 oz altho sometimes she does not finish my expressed bf...(such a waste!)

have not tried it myself but i have been advised to drop night feed by feeding the 3 am feed with water only IF baby cries for it...tried and tested by my two aunts who have two kids each but i have not started this method.

others i have read about is to vary the amount you feed in the day..ie more at certain times, like breakfast (6-7 am) and night (feed at 9 pm and 11 pm) to make sure bb is full...don't think this will work for my baby as she won't take it if its not really the right time...basically give less at night (3 am) so soon bb won't bother waking up for it.

but it seems that some babies just need their night feeds till 6 months old and automatically they will not wake up for it

Comment

i feed directly so not really by schedule, but since she turned 3mths, i've been able to cut down from feeding once every 2-3 hrs, to 3-4 hours. makes a difference of 1-2 feeds less per day.

but she still has a habit of waking up in the night.

i read that once baby hits 12lbs, stomach big enough to last throught the night (approx 12midnite to 5-6am), and any night wakings for feed is usually out of habit.

i'm having trouble too cuz she refuses to go back to sleep by any other methods other than nursing at 3/4am....

some books recommend diluting feed, but if feeding direct they recommend the fathers do the soothing so that they won't associate mummy=food in the middle of the night, and when they don't get food they will stop waking up. same theory as the dilution/giving water method.

Comment

like fresia, at 2 months i was feeding her 3 hourly at 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3 pm , 6pm, 9 pm and 12 am.

at 6 weeks thank God my baby started to sleep through the night thus the 3am feed was unnecessary. but i still had to wake up to express milk (i still do!!!),

now, at 5 months, i feed her at 6am (direct), 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm. we decided to be gung ho and dropped the 12am feed 2 weeks back as PD said baby was in the 95 percentile in the weight category, most probably because we overfed her...

my concern is now how to lengthen the time inbetween feeds to 3.5 or 4 hours?

Comment

hi taya_my!

how did you traing baby to drop the 3 am feed? or did baby just sleep thru naturally??

keeping my fingers crossed and hope baby drops her 3 am feed too!

Comment

Hi,
            My boy now is 6 month and 3 week reccently he has been eat very little. 8am - half blow of cereal
            11am - 6oz of EBM
            2pm - 1 blow of brown rice glue
            5.30pm - 6oz of EBM
            no more feeding already he sleep at 9.30pm, he did wake up in the middle of the night around 3am for milk but when i try to latch on he just turn away after a while he go back to sleep

Do you think he is eating too little? how much then is enough? btw he is teething now

Comment

Hi,
              My gal, Gezann, is 4 weeks old now and being a first time mum I don't know if she is eating enough or not.

Now she takes 90ml of FM (3 hourly), sometimes she is not drinking enough. So I increase it to 120ml but she can't finish it. How do I know when to increase?

I've become a worried freak ever since the first day she is born. Makes me so tired now.

Comment

Hi bomy, every baby's intake is different but as long as your baby is happy, don't worry. The key with these babies is to remember that they won't allow themselves to be hungry and will yell for milk when the need arises.

My 2 girls' feeding were as follows :-
                2 mths : 60ml
                3 mths : 90ml
                4 mths : 120 ml
                (introduced solids at 4.5 mths)
                8 mths : 180ml
                12 mths : 240ml

I just played by ear and tried my luck when I felt that they should take more, if they didn't then I'd revert to the usual portion. Trial and error but I didn't force them to take more milk. Did the same for solids too...cos I read that if you force them, a phobia will develop.

So Gezann's 90ml at 4 weeks' old sounds perfectly fine to me. Don't worry.
                Last edited by Moo; 03-01-2006, 09:41 AM.

Comment

New Year's Resolution: Eat healthy and keep the kid healthy

Improve childhood immunity with balanced diet, supplements, exercise and rest
                  By Reeta Raman, TODAY

SINGAPORE : When it comes to a child's immunity against germs and infections, few are more concerned than the parents.

A child's immunity is usually at its lowest level after the first few months of infancy, when the protection of maternal antibodies wanes, said Dr Tan Mein Chuen, a consultant neonatologist and paediatrician with Raffles Hospital.

The worry of inadequate immunity remains, to varying degrees, even as the child gets older. Most young children, from the age of two, do not have any immunity against common ailments.

Hence, they tend to fall ill frequently, soon after they are old enough to attend childcare centres or nurseries.

At that age, some of the more common childhood ailments are upper respiratory tract infections, gastroenteritis and allergies, said Dr Tan.

As a parent, how can you help build up your child's resistance to such infections? For starters, you should ensure your child gets a balanced diet, with enough sources of important vitamins and minerals.

Vitamins are essential for the growth and normal functioning of the body. A growing child's diet should adequately supply Vitamins A, B, C, D, E and K, as well as folic acid.

Note that not all vitamin requirements will increase with a child's age. According to the KK Women's and Children's Hospital website (www.kkh. com.sg), certain vitamins such as Vitamin D are actually needed in larger amounts by younger children, while Vitamin C is required in similar doses from birth to adolescence.

That is why parents should ask a dietitian for the vitamin requirements specific to their children's age. The first rule of thumb is to ensure that your child gets most of his or her vitamins through food.

During instances when certain vitamins are lacking from a diet, parents can look to supplements. For example, if a child is a vegetarian, supplementation of Vitamin B12 may be necessary, said Dr Tan.

The B group of vitamins such as Vitamin B1 and B2 are required to release energy from the food. This provides the "fuel" necessary for your children to go about their daily activities.

As they grow older, their requirements for this group of vitamins increase, to help them cope with increased energy demands.

Tiredness and lethargy can be due to anaemia, which is caused by an inadequate intake of folic acid or Vitamins C and B12.

Another situation when a child may need vitamin supplements is if the child is not getting enough nourishment.

Zinc and vitamin supplementation may increase the level of immunity in malnourished children, Dr Tan said.

If your child is on a special diet, perhaps because of food allergy or intolerance, specific vitamin supplements may be needed - your paediatrician or dietitian can tell you which ones are most beneficial.

In order for a child's immunity to improve, parents should also make sure that the child gets adequate rest and sufficient exercise, as well as consume enough fluids, said Dr Tan, who added that parents should also ensure that their child's vaccinations are up to date.

Nutrition for your child

Types of Vitamin ? Food Source

Vitamin C ? Fresh fruit or pure fruit juice daily.

Vitamins A, E, K and folic acid ? Dark green leafy vegetables or red/orange vegetables or fruits eaten at least every other day. For example, spinach, tomato, carrots.

Vitamin B ? Some meat, fish, egg, milk or cheese daily.

Vitamins A, D, and riboflavin ? Remember to include milk, dairy and riboflavin products in your child's diet. Milk is one of the best dietary sources of riboflavin and Vitamin A, and if fortified, it will also be high in Vitamin D.

Vitamin E ? Allow some oil, margarine, nuts and seeds in your child's diet. - TODAY

Comment

My baby now 6 months plus drinking 180ml per 3 hour. eating he don't quite like it. How to feed him cause he like to lock his lip hard for me to feed him

Comment

Hi,
                      Another thing is I had trouble preparing milk at nite. My bb will cry non-stop when she wakes up for feed. I had to carry and pacify her but she still cries. Can I prepare formula milk in advance and keep in fridge then warm up again? What other tips can you advise?

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 14-11-2008, 11:17 PM. Reason: .................

Comment

Thanks medusa for sharing your experience.
                          At times, I felt so stressed I hope to learn more from you moms!

Medusa,
                          I've just realised that you are pregnant again! Congrats!!!
                          Are you a SAHM?
                          Last edited by bomy; 03-01-2006, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 14-11-2008, 11:18 PM. Reason: ...................

Comment

another alternative bomy.....i never even bothered with hot water, just put room temp water in the bottle and let it stand, milk powder measured out and put in a container, when baby cries just add milk powder to into the water in the bottle. did this for both my girls.

Comment

Working...
                              X