Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid food schedule

Hi mommies,

is it true that i should start her off with veggies first to prevent a sweet tooth?

what tools (e.g. blender/baby food maker) do you use to puree vegetables? I have a blender but as I've made sambal in it before I really don't so sure about making baby food using that

so far i've started the first week with cereal. should be moving on to fruits / veggies so wondering which to start first.

thanks!

What my paed recommended was 1st stage: rice cereal first, then 2nd stage: fruits/ veggies, and then lastly 3rd stage: meat/ rice.

Stick with only 1 type of new food for the 1 mth, that way in case she has an allergy, you know which food to eliminate.

Comment

I haven't start my baby on solids yet. My paed will be advising us next week when baby goes for her jab. But just for fun, baby turned 4 months a few days ago and her dear mommy dab chocolate off her cheese cake onto baby's lips. Hee... she looks cute with chocolate on her lips.

Comment

Crystal, you could get a seperate blender or food miller for this purpose (er, I'm sure sambal is not considered a safe first food for baby ). What I read and my PD confirmed that rice cereal is the best first food to start a baby on because of the low allergy risk, easily digested and its mild taste will not turn a baby off.

Side track, Its best not to intro junk food to a young baby until MUCH older, in fact, some PDs believe that babies should start on only rice cereal and nothing else until they are over 6 months because their digestive system is not strong enough to cope with anything else, and introducing unsuitable food items to a young baby could cause long-term allergies.

Comment

I'm so glad that these days we have so many available resources (books, internet, PD, friends, etc) whereas in the olden days, people can only relie on the (often unsuitable and wrong) advice of fellow villagers But seriously, I'm glad I am already reading up alot on this, its alright to be ignorant about some things, but when definitely not when it comes to other things.

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygirl
            I haven't start my baby on solids yet. My paed will be advising us next week when baby goes for her jab. But just for fun, baby turned 4 months a few days ago and her dear mommy dab chocolate off her cheese cake onto baby's lips. Hee... she looks cute with chocolate on her lips.
            Hee... I would like to add that momo's method of introducing solids is great and what I would be adopting. Last thing, I wanna be is being irresponsible (thanks to mango's post which made me realised I better clarify) . I'm sure all mums know but just want to state this: care must be taken when introducing food to baby. I was just fooling around with my sweetheart.....

Anyway, the "everything baby's first year book" has a great table for food introduction record. It has a really good list of what food should come first. I would love to follow it.

Comment

happybean, what blender are you using? Are you pleased with it? I'm looking around for a good miller/blender for this purpose.

Comment

I agree solid foods should not be started until babies are at least 6 months old. Even though they teeth much earlier their digestive tract is not mature enough to handle other things - breast milk is basically a complete food until 6 months. If weight gain is satisfactory, there is no need to start solid food so early though that has been an Asian tradition. I believe there are studies done on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphrael
                  If weight gain is satisfactory, there is no need to start solid food so early though that has been an Asian tradition. I believe there are studies done on the subject.
                  Yeah, in fact, I heard from some friends that their baby's uneducated nanny even tried smearing pork oil (oil?! might as be chocolate or ice cream huh, at least taste better haha) on the baby's lips to signify that therefore the baby will have a hearty appetite?(!) LOL.

I was also told that its normal for some local babies (usually cared for by grandparents or hired help) to be fed porridge from 3mth onwards to help them 'sleep better'. I have a friend's mom who sneaked her granddaughter a taste of some candy thingy when my friend wasnt looking, and luckily my friend saw. Her mum said it was for fun (huhh...fun? fun for who?). Oh well.

Comment

Happybean, thanks alot, I'll go look at braun soon.

Comment

Pork oil??? You gotta be kidding me ... I hope the poor darling didn't fall sick. I hate it when people don't think about what they're doing and just blindly follow tradition.

I'd say that if weight gain is satisfactory and follows the growth curve for the baby (apart for the first 2 weeks after birth as the baby has to catch up after switching nutrient source) continuing with breast milk up till 6 months is the best. BUT if there are signs of dropping off or not tolerating breast milk/formula for some reasons like lactose intolerance etc, such babies can start on solid food a bit earlier since soy formulas may not provide enough nutrients for long enough. It doesn't mean their digestive tract can handle it, but it may cause less problems. Only if absolutely necessary. Tradition isn't always right or wrong - you really have to judge it based on circumstances.

People may think babies need solid food when they start teething, but if you think about it, some babies are born with teeth (too bad for mothers who get bitten trying to breastfeed), and they really still need to go through the BM phase before they can handle it.

You know, sometimes I think I need a shrink. I'm not a mother, hell, I'm not even attached, and I read the CosyMom forums and pretend to be an expert on stuff I haven't done. Hmm ...

Comment

sensible advice from a non-mum aphrael! never blindly follow traditions.

crystal - i read from baby centre's website that we should start with the green veges cos the yellow/orange ones are sweeter and they might reject the green ones in favour of the latter. i introduced veges in this order, spinach, brocolli, potatoes and carrots. when she got older (i.e. after 8 mths) i randomly introduced peas, corn and the other veges.

i blend pasta and rice in the blender. you definitely need a new blender as your's has been used for sambal already.

regardless of what you do, as momo said, introduce one item at a time (at least for 3-5 days) so you can easily identify allergies if any suface.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphrael
                          You know, sometimes I think I need a shrink. I'm not a mother, hell, I'm not even attached, and I read the CosyMom forums and pretend to be an expert on stuff I haven't done. Hmm ...
                          Its alright hahaha! At least you're just giving advice and not shooting off your mouth excessively. I know some mothers who think they ARE experts on everything motherhood just because they have one baby (yeah, as if everyone's baby is exactly the same!) hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by mango
                            Yeah, in fact, I heard from some friends that their baby's uneducated nanny even tried smearing pork oil (oil?! might as be chocolate or ice cream huh, at least taste better haha) on the baby's lips to signify that therefore the baby will have a hearty appetite?(!) LOL.

I was also told that its normal for some local babies (usually cared for by grandparents or hired help) to be fed porridge from 3mth onwards to help them 'sleep better'. I have a friend's mom who sneaked her granddaughter a taste of some candy thingy when my friend wasnt looking, and luckily my friend saw. Her mum said it was for fun (huhh...fun? fun for who?). Oh well.
                            Pork oil? Gross! *faints*

I had my share of some people questioning me about my choice of food for mila. They want to know why I haven't been feeding Mila rice porridge. I told them I didn't as instructed by paed. Mila was quite a big baby to begin with, and her weight gain had been good all along without rice, so paed said not to introduce rice porridge to her till she is over 1 year old. The flake I get from these people is that I am trying to be "ang moh" (westerners), and not give my baby the Chinese staple food.

Comment

Davis, ear in, ear out, ignore these :roll: people! One thing I learnt is that there'll always be irritating and excessive people who thinks they know it all. :bore:

Comment

Working...
                              X