Do SG mums use cloth diapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do SG mums use cloth diapers?

HI! i was just wondering, after recently reading a thread on cloth diapering, i did a little internet check on cloth diapering myself. And i find that its quite big in the Us and europe, whereas in Sg i can only find 1 store :Doh: (Bumwear) that sells 'modern' cloth diapers.

So my Q to all u mummys out there is: are cloth diapers (the modern ones with the snap and velcro type) just a fad or are Sg mummys really taking this on for real?

Anyone here using these so called 'cloth diapers? i just want to know what your experience is with them. thought of using them myself on my soon-to-arrive :preggie: baby boy but quite skeptical about it...
    I use them religiously
    19.05%
    I use them, 50-50 with disposables
    35.71%
    So troublesome, will never use them
    45.24%
    What's that? never heard before
    0.00%
    Last edited by pinkyima; 14-02-2005, 10:46 PM.

For me, I used only disposable diapers. Cloth diapers I know are cheaper in the long run, and more environmental-friendly. I am just too lazy and too much of a sciddy cat to deal with cloth diapers.
    Last edited by momopeach; 14-02-2005, 08:24 AM.

Comment

My baby uses Mamy poko and Pampers premium. I have never even considered using cloth diapers- too messy, too troublesome and not worth the effort for me.

Comment

I am not a Singaporean but I do use cloth diapers. The cloth diapers I use are the traditional types called "Lampin", I think. They are just pieces of cotton cloth. I bought the outer cover (with velcro) separately.

I use cloth diapers at home. I only use disposables when we go out, at night and sometimes during the afternoon when I want baby to take a longer nap.

Comment

Oops, am I the only one who said I'm using it "religiously"?

I'm using Bumwear and Apple3 completely during the day, I only use the disposable during the night when she sleeps, cuz I don't think the cloth diaper can take the entire night of wetting without a change.

My comments on Bumwear --> they are absolutely lousy when it comes to leakage, it will 100% always leak from the thighs and the outer batik layer will ALWAYS get wet. So I bought those cheap diaper covers and use that over the Bumwear.

Apple3 (also in Singapore) is better. No leaks. However, I don't think they can last through 2 babies, as I got some hand-me-downs from another mom and I found some slight tears in the stitches that joins the plastic layer to the outer layer, hence causing leakage. So it seems that these diapers are not quite made to last, which really sucks as they cost over $30 each (incl inserts).

I have not tried other brands, and there are many other brands like Fuzzi Bunz, Happy Heinys etc which Singapore online distributors sell. Heard some are good, but these are size S,M and L. The two brands I'm using are supposed to be for all sizes i.e. they "grow" with the child. However, you can only start using them effectively when baby hits 3 months old, prior to that baby's thighs are too small and the diapers are too bulky and will definitely leak.

Overall, I don't think cloth diapers are that much of a hassle. I wash them once in 5 days as I rinse them after each usage and chuck them in a pail to wait for a full machine wash cycle. The more expensive cloth diapers can take quite a few pees so I change once in few hours. The fleece inner lining does keep the baby dry.

Unlike the plain white cloth diapers which can only take 2 wettings max and these need to be changed VERY often. I used these initially and found them a real pain, cuz they need alot of folding and I got quite fed up of changing every time they got wet.

I think cloth diapers are worth a try, but if you intend to place baby with nanny or childcare, then you'd have to consider if the child carers would bother with them.

Comment

My comments on Bumwear --> they are absolutely lousy when it comes to leakage, it will 100% always leak from the thighs and the outer batik layer will ALWAYS get wet. So I bought those cheap diaper covers and use that over the Bumwear.
            Oh dear, i've bought 1 piece (with insert) of this Bumwear already. :Doh: I thought i would try one out, but since you say it's totaly leaky.. which is bad for diapers and mummys who need to change them... seems that i wasted $32

Looks like its the old-fashion fold-ourself cloth diaper for me then

Comment

I did an introduction on the other thread about FB (Fuzzi Bunz) www.fuzzibunz.com which are widely use in the Cloth Diapering Singapore Group, yes such a group exist.

I bought directly from the states and in bulk so the cost is relatively lesser then what I would spent here.

I believe cloth-diapering is so much healthier for the baby and the enviroment. My personal reasons why I want to cloth-diaper my child.

1. It doesn't cause rashes and the baby does sit on the chemicals on the diaper the whole day ( there is 50 chemicals in the diapers in the diapers a huge reason for me to not use them )

2. Cloth diapered babies are toliet-trained earlier. Mine was toliet-trained by 20months old in the day and night.

More information:
              http://webhome.idirect.com/~born2luv/facts.html
              http://www.dy-dee.com/Benefits_of_Cl..._of_cloth.html

Comment

Originally posted by pinkyima

Oh dear, i've bought 1 piece (with insert) of this Bumwear already. :Doh: I thought i would try one out, but since you say it's totaly leaky.. which is bad for diapers and mummys who need to change them... seems that i wasted $32

Looks like its the old-fashion fold-ourself cloth diaper for me then
                Yes I agree on the Bumwear, totally lousy!

Comment

Ashlee, is there an online forum for the Singapore cloth diapering group? I wish I had found them earlier! Wouldn't have bought so many Bumwear diapers

Comment

Home made diapers?

Went on the internet to source more on these cloth diapers and i found out that many SAHM make their own diapers and even sell them on the internet.

And i was thinking, now why did i think of that sooner... making my own homemade diapers!! :Doh: i think, the materials are sold locally and you just need some basic sewing skills like pressing on the sewing pedal ..hehe

Anyone of you tried doing just a project? can give me some tips on materials or how to sew better?

Always looking for means and ways to keep baby's :booty: dry!!

Comment

i'm using the cloth diaper now that the confinement lady is around. Once she goes back, i won't be using them. Too much hassle, considering my baby is breastfed and poos after every feed, i won't be able to cope with the washing.

Comment

Hi Keiko, nice to see you around CC You could try when Joshua's poo has somewhat regulated. A good brand is Fuzzi Bunz - poo and pee wash off very easily on these diapers

Comment

Thanks Mag!

I probably won't be getting the diaper pants because he won't be able to use them when he's at the infantcare after 6 months.

ok, got to go back to operate Joshua's Milk Bar again

Comment

hi mag,

from your experience, is fuzzi bunz good for airing the butt? cloth diapers suppose to be airier and cause less diaper rash right?

or is it because they have to be changed more frequently and hence less likely to create optimum environment for rash?

thanks!

Comment

Huge RANT on Bumwear diapers again. Not only do they LEAK big time, mine are starting to tear! After using them only for about 5 months, the outer batik layer is starting to tear

Big waste of $$$

Comment

Working...
                              X