Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elimination Communication/Infant Potty Training

Infant Potty Training

How many moms here are practising the above? I used to scoff at people who do it, thinking that it's insane and a waste of time to teach infants how to pee and poo on demand. Lately, after reading some success stories and knowing more about it, I realised that my idea of infant potty training was completely different from the one stated in the article at all. It's not about training. Rather, it's a form of communication and those of us who are Chinese can relate to this as our grandmothers/mother-in-laws have probably been doing this for decades!

Anyway, I've decided to try this with my baby girl (it's already a bit late!). Any tips to share from moms who practise this?

Question:

Do I need to get a more modern-looking and attractive potty so that my baby will pee/poo in it more willingly? I dislike the look of the traditional potties!

Last edited by Medusa; 15-11-2008, 12:59 AM. Reason: ..........................

Comment

Thanks Mel!

Ya I know I am starting late I was too lazy to do it and ever since she started drinking FM, cleaning her poo becomes a nasty business

You are right, reading cues for poo is so much easier than reading cues for pee. I can always tell that she's about to poo yet the lazy mom here just waits for her to finish her business without doing anything I am so gonna start EC'ing her with poo now. I think I will be realistic and start with poo first. Pee can come later when she can sit on the potty without me holding her. When Emily's in cloth diapers, she is very sensitive to them being wet or soiled so that makes things easier. She doesn't do that when she's in disposables though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariel
        Infant Potty Training
        Question:

Do I need to get a more modern-looking and attractive potty so that my baby will pee/poo in it more willingly? I dislike the look of the traditional potties!
        Quite a few friends tell me that the traditional potty works best cos baby gets distracted by the attractive ones and think it's a toy!

Comment

You're right, E! I got the traditional one today. Will get the more attractive one once she's fully potty-trained

And I caught two pees today. Sooooooooooo happy!

Comment

i think i'm late to start... she's rather mobile now and i'm afraid she's going to climb up and down the potty which i have bought quite a while back but been too lazy to start training

Ariel, so did you follow what the article said and kept her diaper free in the day? I found that part quite impractical but it's true that it will be difficult to sense when she is peeing. but wouldn't she pee on me if i kept the diaper off?

Comment

Hi crystal,

I didn't really keep the diapers off my baby as it'd be impractical, like you said. Instead, I stopped using disposables even she's taking her afternoon naps and put her in cloth diapers the whole day. I bought those water-proof shorts that you use over cloth diapers and dress her in them instead. With pee, it's hard to tell when she needs to go so what I do is get her on the potty every 30 minutes or so, or 20 minutes after a feeding. This afternoon, I tried to get her to pee but after sheeing for a while, she didn't pee and I was ready to put the diaper on. Suddenly, I saw her straining a bit so I quickly put her on the potty and she pooed! I think I got lucky. The same thing happened this evening too.

I wanted to buy those training pants but the smallest size is too small for my baby. I think I'll use them when she's a bit older. And tell you what, I EC'ed my baby once before I changed her into PJ's and once afte her last bottle before bedtime last night. Then this morning, as soon as she woke up, I EC'ed her again and I found that her diaper was completely dry! I was so amazed by it because her diapers are usually quite soaked (I use Pampers Baby Dry Comfort - supposedly the best on the market) by the time she wakes up!

Anyway, my baby doesn't pee a lot because she drinks very little fluids apart from her milk. And now that she's on total FM, I am worried that she'll get dehydrated. She does drink water but only 10-15 ml and never more than 30 ml even after 2-3 hours. She doesn't like juices or Ribena. Any suggestions what sort of fluids I can give her to make sure that she stays hydrated?

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 15-11-2008, 12:57 AM. Reason: ...........................

Comment

Crystal and Mel, my baby is not so mobile yet so it makes things easier - guess that's one of the reasons to start earlier rather than later? Sometimes I leave her diaper-free on a waterproof mat like what Mel did so that I could study her facial expression (cues) to see when she's about to pee and poo. And fortunately for me, I caught two poos this way! I haven't had to clean her dirty butt (when she was in diapers, her poos got smeared all over her butt and private area and it was a NIGHTMARE to clean) for two days now.

Comment

i'm keen to potty train Joshua too but a breast-fed baby, he poos all the time and mostly when nursing. So i can't rush him to a potty in time

Recently he has this knack for peeing every time during diaper changing. i've been a target of his many missile attacks

Comment

Originally posted by keiko
                      Recently he has this knack for peeing every time during diaper changing. i've been a target of his many missile attacks
                      Haha! So cute you can do it! Try I got a friend with a month old baby who already doesn't want to go in her diaper and she is also fully bfg. I keep Tiffany in cloth diapers since 8th months old except when out and she is fully toliet trained by 21months day and night! So proud of her.

Comment

E, how about getting the potty ready before you change him. As soon as the diaper is off, put him on the potty. Soon, he will hold it until he's on the potty. I think some bfg mothers put their babies on the potty while breastfeeding too

Comment

Thanks P!

Think i'll start on the training when I'm back from France. He'll be 3 months plus then, still not too late....hopefully.

Emily and you are doing well. Well done!

Comment

I think I mentioned before that my eldest started her training at 2 weeks old, while the little one at 1 month old. My little one is coming to 17m.o and can tell me if she needs her potty or not (doesn't matter if it's poo or pee). Currently at home, she's not wearing any diaper now but a normal short pants.
                            There was one time she actually fell asleep on the potty doing her poo... :Doh:

When she's constipated and has no patiance sitting on her potty, we'll have to read her a book or bring out some toys to play with her or turn on her favourite children songs/dances DVD just to keep her seated and at the same time "ngg'ing" her.
                            I guess it'll only take a mother to understand another mother how important is that "pot of gold" to us or rather our children.

Yes, pee cue is hard to catch, the only time I know when my gal has done her pee is when she shivers... but not all the time she'll shiver after a pee...
                            Last edited by GG; 19-04-2005, 10:37 AM.

Comment

my girl is super mobile... if she goes diaper free it will be a disaster! think i will need to try by catching the timing after she wakes up and after meals then. but her poo-ing timing is rather irregular, not really related to meals...

So many things to learn

Comment

Working...
                              X