Baby Dental Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Dental Care

When do you start brushing/cleaning your baby's teeth? Emily has two so I wonder if it's time for me to start brushing or cleaning her teeth....

I've been cleaning my baby's gum and tongue since birth using a wet handkerchief and that now we are still cleaning it even though she has two front bottom and top tiny teeth. It is good to cultivate them since birth so that they know brushing and cleaning their teeth is a must.

Comment

My boy now have 4 teeth, i did not brush for his cos the teeth is so small very hard to brush. But i use cloth to clean his teeth when ever he take his bath. think i will start brushing his teeth only when there is more now only 4, 2 on top and 2 below very difficult to brush.

Comment

I have been doing the same thing...my girl starts brushing her teeth since she is two but she still have 5 cavities. We brought her to dentist recently and had it fixed.

Originally posted by popcorn
        I've been cleaning my baby's gum and tongue since birth using a wet handkerchief and that now we are still cleaning it even though she has two front bottom and top tiny teeth. It is good to cultivate them since birth so that they know brushing and cleaning their teeth is a must.

Comment

I use a wet cloth to clean my daughter's gums too since birth everyday during bath time. Till she turned about 9mths then I started using those cartoon baby toothbrush from Oral B paired with this edible baby toothpaste called First Teeth. I skipped the rubber type that fits into the fingers cos I find them difficult to use and my daughter doesn't like it. Now my daughter has no problem with me brushing her teeth. In fact she finds it fun cos she sees adults doing the same too!

Comment

juliet,

Maybe you should try brushing her teeth for her first with a suitable toothpaste, then allow her to brush herself. Cos when they brush themselves, sometimes its not totally cleaned. Also, I use the same rule that applies for adults: milk first then brush, after brushing no food or drinks. HTHS!

Comment

I almost bought the pigeon toothbrushes for babies today. but not sure if it's necessary. anyone used that before?

littlelambie, the oral b toothbrush you mentioned is those soft bristle type not the rubber type right? thanks!

Comment

I must say Start Young! when brushing your baby's teeth.

I know of many tods who wouldn't like things to be stuff into their mouth and brushing away and toddlerhood is when they start eating junk food and sweets and it does horrible things to the teeth cavies and etc...

I started when Tiffany was 6months old barely had any teeth yet now she brushes everytime she takes a sweet a home and also twice a day. It really helps.

When they are young can use a little toothpaste from First Teeth (avali. at Guardian) or any organic swallowable toothpaste (I use the Organic Mandarin toothpaste till now).

Hope that helps.

Comment

Those Oral Bs that I bought are for kids, they have different types according to age group. The bristles are soft with a short rubber handle with Winnie the Pooh pictures.

Originally posted by wanderlust
                  I almost bought the pigeon toothbrushes for babies today. but not sure if it's necessary. anyone used that before?

littlelambie, the oral b toothbrush you mentioned is those soft bristle type not the rubber type right? thanks!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, ladies. Looks like I have to start brushing Emily's teeth now. She hates it whenever we have to open her mouth to see whether she's got an infection/eaten something off the floor etc so I wonder if she'll agree to let me brush her teeth :eh:

Comment

I only started my little one on the habit of brushing her teeth when she was 1+y.o. As much as I would like her to clean her teeth, but at that tender age I was more concern getting her into the habit and use to the idea of brushing her teeth. I start with only plain drinking water and gradually upgraded to using a tooth paste.
                      Because babies or young toddler are a real copy-cat, it helps when doing it with them. Show them how you're brushing your teeth, spitting and rinsing your mouth. You may also keep them busy by letting them brush your teeth while you brush theirs, this method is particularly good when they refuse to let you brush their teeth; it will let them get their mind off on what you actually want to do to them.
                      Good luck Ariel, and do post on your attempts!!!

Comment

ashlee
                        When they are young can use a little toothpaste from First Teeth (avali. at Guardian) or any organic swallowable toothpaste (I use the Organic Mandarin toothpaste till now).
                        hi ashlee can i know where did u get organic mandarin toothpaste and do they state suitable for what age?

Comment

I use a wet handkerchief since birth then use the First Teeth (rubber type), and now using Oral b toothbrush. But he still don't like to brush his teeth so end up I have to force him to open his mouth.

Comment

i've been brushing my girl's gums since she was 4mths with 'my first toothbrush/toothpaste'. when she turned 14 mths, we started her on the oral b kids toothbrush. everynight/morning we'd brush our teeth with her and turn it into a game - she'd brush my teeth and i'd brush her's. now at 2 yrs old, she enjoys brushing her teeth. i'm still using 'my first toothpaste' for her since she hasn't learnt how to spit.

Comment

Originally posted by popcorn
                              hi ashlee can i know where did u get organic mandarin toothpaste and do they state suitable for what age?
                              It is not stated but i used it from 6mths onwards because it is harmless when swallowed I just a dap and would wipe with water afterwards.

More information:
                              http://organicchildren.com/pages/pro...toothpaste.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X