Thermometers - all the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometers - all the same?

Hey moms, I wanted to check if there is a better brand of ear thermometers or all they all the same quality (Braun, Omron ....)? The price differences seem quite significant.

I only have the cheap digital thermometer and the battery has gone konk already. Last night Cae was having a very bad night and I wondered if she was reacting to the MMR jab she got in the morning. Unfortunately, I couldn't measure her temperature and just had to use my hands to feel her head. So I decided I better go out and get an ear thermometer.

I've seen an ad on Motherhood for a 3-in-1 thermometer, can use in ear, forehead and I-forget-the-third-bodypart. Anyone has something like this and is it really useful?

I have a ear thermometer. I think that is good enough because it takes just a split second to register the temperature. which is the best option for a squirmy toddler.

mine is not branded but its been working fine. think price difference due to brand and country of manufacture?

Comment

Being a KS mom, I bought one of those forehead thermometer (cant remember the brand, costs around $140) during the SARS period. Turned out its a totally useless thing. The temperature is not accurate at all, as compared to my Braun ear thermometer.

I used to have one ear thermometer from Braun and one from Omron. Braun is faster in reading (1 sec), and gives more consistant and accurate results, and the part where you put it in the ear (not sure what its called) is slimmer than Omron, thus easier to put into kid's ear without hurting them. I swear by my Braun one.

Comment

Thanks lust and lambie

I bought the Braun one since I was desperate to buy one and there were only 2 other brands in the pharmacy - Omron and some other one. Both were cheaper but somehow packaging didn't impress me. Got the Braun one at RM249 and used to on Cae to make sure her MMR jab didn't give her a fever. I must say it works really well, very consistent results. It's a breeze compared to sticking a digital thermometer in her armpits and trying to keep her still for 30 seconds

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 14-11-2008, 11:40 PM. Reason: ........................

Comment

Mel, I just noticed your pregnancy ticker! You're preggies again :D. Congrats

Maybe your mom scared to poke the thermometer in too deep so that's why T reading lower than should be :p

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 14-11-2008, 11:38 PM. Reason: ..........................

Comment

Hi cotters,

Not that I am advertising here, I'm working on technical competitor analysis on ear-thermometers..and we have several other brands beside BRAUN ( didnt want to name those brands). BRAUN turns out to be the best among the selected ones.

So I would say, BRAUN ear-thermometers are really good

Comment

missbean, what criteria did you use to rate the thermometers? Is accuracy a problem with some brands?

To me, since the technology is roughly the same, the differentiating factors would be the extra features like backlight, speed of reading etc.

Comment

Hi mogmick,

I used repeatibilty and devation of each reading as the criteria to benchmark the thermometers since I am not concerned with the cosmetic of the thermometers ( I was doing a technical benchmarking). Because Human body temperature fluctuates easily, a 100% heat radiator ( we call the black body) was used in the study instead. This would ensure the heat ( infra-red) that radiates out is the same each time.

Yes, you are right that they operates on the same technology. But there's usually price difference due to construction of the electronics, materials and $$ invested in developing the therometers that make the difference =)

Comment

Originally posted by missbean
                      Hi cotters,

Not that I am advertising here, I'm working on technical competitor analysis on ear-thermometers..and we have several other brands beside BRAUN ( didnt want to name those brands). BRAUN turns out to be the best among the selected ones.

So I would say, BRAUN ear-thermometers are really good
                      eer also advertg ***

Comment

Hi,
                        i did buy one theremometer from osim, i use a few times now it spoilt . which brand is good in the market

Comment

Me using Braun too. Dropped it in the first few days and thankfully it is still working properly. Do you gals bring it back for recalibration as mentioned in the manual? I wonder if the readings will change over time due to handling.

Comment

My Braun has been with me since my eldest daughter was born .. she's 7 now ... and I'm still using it for the whole family .. it's still accurate and works perfectly fine. I highly recommend Braun !

Comment

Omron Thermometer

Hi

Was thinking about buying the omron branb, anybody has any feedback on it?
                              Compared the price diff w Braun, abt half the price, but the probe covers fr Omron are more expensive than Braun (i.e. Omron PC cost abt $14+ for 40 pcs, and Braun's only $9+ , so wonder if it is worth it to buy Braun in the long run...

Comment

Working...
                              X