Your opinions on Vaccinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinions on Vaccinations

Hi moms, just wondering what your opinions are on children vaccinations. I remember reading somewhere that some of you have pediatricians that don't advocate vaccinations.

I am just looking at Cae's medical card to see what her next jab is and I'm just amazed at how many vaccinations kids get nowadays. I'm not sure I got that many jabs when I was a baby

Her next jab is the chicken pox jab. Until now, I didn't even realise that chicken pox had a vaccine because I still hear so many people catching this illness.

How many of you went through all the jabs without thinking twice? Or did you skip certain jabs because you thought it was not necessary?

All those jabs written in the baby health book are compulsory. The records will be checked when the child is admitted to school.

However chicken pox jab is optional, I don't think I will give it to my baby.

Comment

Recently I was advised by someone to give my girl Prevenar jab, supposedly for meningitis. Apparently they managed to find all the strains of the virus and Wyeth came up with a vaccine for it. Really am clueless about the effectiveness of vaccines myself

Comment

Tamarind, they're compulsory? Hmm, I didn't know that. Wonder if it's the same in Malaysia but highly unlikely though.

Marge, huh..another new jab? You planning to do this jab then?

Comment

To me its really about weighing the risks involved between contracting the disease and the side effects of the vaccination.

my baby is 4 months old and so far i have only given him the BCG and have held off on the other jabs so far. We skipped the HepB vaccination that is given when the baby is a couple of days old because i understand that the version of the vaccination given to babies in Singapore hospitals still contains mercury. Our PD told us that the vaccination given to older babies (a 3 in 1 i think) does not have mercury. Since its extrememly unlikely that he'll contact Hep b in a couple of months (he's on breastmilk and in any case, Hep B is a sexually transmitted disease).

As for the other vaccinations, i'll probably give them, but plan to wait til he's older coz i just don't like the idea of pumping all sorts of viruses (albeit denatured) into a newborn - i think they have enough to deal with already. There are no conclusive links between over vaccinations and auto-immune diseases but it seems a logical connection to me. The vac schedule in some other countries is 4 6 and 8 months, so i'll be pushing it as late as is legal (in Singapore they have to be done by 1 year old)

Comment

I am a firm believer of vaccinations so I make sure that my girl gets all the jabs in the baby card. Mogmick, I took her for the chicken pox vaccination when she turned 13 months old. She didn't suffer from any adverse reaction, not even fever. The vaccination is an one-time thing and provides up to 90% protection. However, even if your child catches it later, the effect won't be so drastic, hence minimising the scarring. IMy colleague who's in her twenties caught chicken pox from a student and she has terrible scarring all over her face - the spots look like those huge cystic pimples!

Comment

Originally posted by mogmick
              Tamarind, they're compulsory? Hmm, I didn't know that. Wonder if it's the same in Malaysia but highly unlikely though.
              Yes the PD told me that the school will not admit the child if she hasn't taken all the jabs in the health book. Don't know about Malaysia though.

There are some reports that link MMR jab to autism, which is quite worrying also. But MMR is compulsory.
              Last edited by tamarind; 18-11-2005, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I seriously do not know. It was a microbiologist who told me about this jab. It's really not a case about probability here, but whether the child will develop her own immunity naturally. Some respond well, some do not.

You know in Singapore, when we are in P6 we all go through some BCG jabs or something, are they to prevent TB or german measles??? I also remembered going for a Hep-B vaccine in my teenage years.

When I did my pregnancy blood tests, the results revealed that I had no immunity against German measles and Hep-B. A doctor friend told me that she also needed repeat jabs for the vaccine to be registered in her system. I guess our systems reacted atypically from the rest.
                So are vaccines effective? I really couldn't tell.

Originally posted by mogmick
                Marge, huh..another new jab? You planning to do this jab then?

Comment

Oh, Hep jabs do "run out" on effectiveness after a while, as my DH found out earlier this year from his health screening tests. The Doctor said that its important to get regular blood work done esp. if we travel quite a bit to ensure that these boosters are taken as/when necessary. My DH has had to re-do his Hep AB jabs despite having done them in his early teens.

Comment

Not all jabs in the health book are compulsory but they are all recommended. I didn't know until Tiffany took all except her MMR which I intend to hold until she is older. I am afraid of the side effects and that's why I would hold on but I still believe in vaccinations and would let my child take them but at a much later date when her immunity is better prob just before primary school.

True that primary school would require your child to take the vaccinations that are listed compulsory.

Comment

Mommies, where do you bring your bb for Vaccinations? Government polyclinics, private / public hospitals, GPs or Paediatrician?

Comment

I brought both my kids to a PD. Actually it's not necessary, going to GP will be the same.

I would not go to government polyclinics though, my colleague brought her son there and wasn't happy about it.

Comment

PD too .. Polyclinics are awful - long wait and tons of sick people ...

Comment

Working...
                          X